Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RicG
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

THIS ^^^

That's what I use if I can't find the nest. Trick is to get something they like to eat. Mashed up buttered corn along with stinky cat food seems to be the ticket around our place. Don't need to use much Fipronil. Drop or two in a tablespoon of bait will do it.

Last edited by Steve; 08/04/21.

Carpe' Scrotum

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I accidentally discovered a ground nest on a riverbank in some wild roses last summer while in the river. When I realized I was getting stung, I climbed out of the river and ran but just could not seem to shake those things. I covered at least 50 yards trying to run away from them, unsuccessfully I might add! I had them in my waistband, hatband, and hair in addition to the usual places. It was brutal to say the least and I was stung at least 30 times. The neighbor kids were in their front yard and I think they thought I was possessed!!! I turned away from them, not wanting to get them stung, and ran for the garage and into the house. I ended up killing a dozen or so later in the kitchen and bathroom (my wife was really pleased!).

Aside from being miserable for a few days and having to go on a medrol steroid dose pack, I made it my personal vendetta to kill every last one of those bastards. In contrast to the usual paper nests in trees, under eaves, etc., these accessed several holes on the riverbank which. was hard to access. I scoped things out at night in my hip boots armed with a flashlight. I tried a flaming rag on the end of a pole during the day but could not get all of them and had them chasing me again and got stung a couple of more times. I emptied 3 or 4 cans of the foaming spray from the river at night but still could not finish the deal because of the angles and extent of their access holes. Finally, I went and bought a couple of fogging "bombs" made for hornets, etc. and draped a cheap plastic painters drop cloth over the holes (to the best of my ability) at night and set the bombs off. That finally did them in. I later took a shovel to the bank to break the holes down and have thus far not seen any activity this year!

Hoping I never have that experience again. Good luck!

Summary: Fogging bombs for hornets, etc., painter's drop cloth to concentrate and hold the fog, flashlight and careful night work!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
…or a pound of hamburger with a little bit of fipronil mixed in.

Your way is good, too.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Do you need to use a whole tube of fipronil on a pound of burger?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The recipe for the wasp spray is peppermint oil and water. Add one tablespoon of peppermint and four (4) cups of water to a spray bottle. Spray directly on the wasps or the nests. But be careful, and safe as not to get stung.

I like to do it at night with a flashlight.

The sunny Southern facia board on Western Washington houses will have several wasp nests. They are not hurting anything up there.

But if they are down on my level I kill them all with mint and they do not rebuild on that spot.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
The recipe for the wasp spray is peppermint oil and water. Add one tablespoon of peppermint and four (4) cups of water to a spray bottle. Spray directly on the wasps or the nests. But be careful, and safe as not to get stung.

I like to do it at night with a flashlight.

The sunny Southern facia board on Western Washington houses will have several wasp nests. They are not hurting anything up there.

But if they are down on my level I kill them all with mint and they do not rebuild on that spot.

Peppermint oil is like the duct tape of essential oils.
Have you sourced a cheap peppermint oil for that purpose?
I hope you aren't paying like $40 to Doterra to kill wasps.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/04/21.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dude270

Half a Large Dog tube for a pound.

Separate into 4 balls to target different nests. Don’t let your dog or cat get on it.

Well, maybe the cat.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
Taliban bunker #2 is out had a kamikazi sting on side of my head way after dark it’s scorched earth if it continues

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=Dude270] Don’t let your dog or cat get on it.

Well, maybe the cat.

lololololol

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
One pint gasoline dumped in the hole. Wait five minutes. Light her up. It burns like a low grade propane torch for five minutes. No yellowjackets will survive.

Didn't you read the earlier post by the professional exterminator?

This is a really stupid and dangerous idea.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
One pint gasoline dumped in the hole. Wait five minutes. Light her up. It burns like a low grade propane torch for five minutes. No yellowjackets will survive.

Didn't you read the earlier post by the professional exterminator?

This is a really stupid and dangerous idea.

Ya but, hold my beer and watch this. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a bunch build a bunker in the wood retaining wall behind my grill.
They went in cracks, and who knows how far in before the headquarters.
Tried the sprays. Killed brunches, but Charley Y. Jacket is a formidable and resourceful adversary. I kept bombing the ones on the trail, but couldn't
get into Laos..the logs and finish him.

Finally tied rags on my stove poker, soaked them in liquid napalm,
And propped it against the biggest hole with a chunk of firewood.

Just left it there until I needed to grill again.
Haven't had any in there since.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Had a bunch build a bunker in the wood retaining wall behind my grill.
They went in cracks, and who knows how far in before the headquarters.
Tried the sprays. Killed brunches, but Charley Y. Jacket is a formidable and resourceful adversary. I kept bombing the ones on the trail, but couldn't
get into Laos..the logs and finish him.

Finally tied rags on my stove poker, soaked them in liquid napalm,
And propped it against the biggest hole with a chunk of firewood.

Just left it there until I needed to grill again.
Haven't had any in there since.

Hot shot pest strip placed in front of the hole will drive them out, but not kill all of them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dude270

Half a Large Dog tube for a pound.

Separate into 4 balls to target different nests. Don’t let your dog or cat get on it.

Well, maybe the cat.

Thanks, ill give this a try

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some great ideas here I may have to use. I ran over a ground nest a couple years ago with my tractor and just barely escaped being stung- probably because my brush hog was parked over the hole by time I realized what was happening and that scattered them pretty good- well, at least the ones that survived...
Went back around dusk and found another nest and hit both of them with the yellow jacket spray and haven't seen one in the vicinity since then... had a couple paper nests and a nest in a wall of my storage shed and found that one by accident while being stung repeatedly... used the yellow jacket spray that sprays 25 feet (at least the can said so). I always hit it right at dusk so I can see them returning to the nest and when they start to calm down I hit them hard. The spray works great and even kills the ones in flight and ones that come back later and come in contact with the liquid... never had a nest come back after using the spray.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was babysitting my 2 year old boy and I took him out dove hunting with a buddy. The plan was buddy would walk down this dry wash and kick the birds to me and my boy (in diapers) while blocking the riverbed flyway. Solid plan until I stepped on a yellow jacket nest on the bank and all hell broke loose. Pissed off hornets doesn't describe it. They poured out of that hole and swarmed me and my little boy, biting like crazy.

I had to run to get away from the swarm while cradling my young son. 100 yards away, across a plowed field sat my car and I started running. The only sanctuary from the yellowjackets hammering us with bites. I tossed my shot gun down so I could brush of the yellowjackets from son's tender arms and back, meanwhile I can feel them biting me everywhere as I ran.

Had a bad reaction. Still get the shivers from it. I had about 50 bites, baby had 10.

Edited to add son had [bleep] his diaper and it was running down my arm as I ran across that field.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That ^^ does not sound like the funnest day afield.

We seem to be fairly lucky in that we don't have many yellowjackets up here. Too dry perhaps? Loads of other wasps such as spider hunters and cicada killer types. A few of the paper wasp types too.

That fact makes me happy. I'm no fan of those things. Or the black ground dwelling ones over on the coast either.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,271
Posts18,486,613
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.