Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Nobody would argue that recent history supports your argument that tech stocks have been a better investment. People who invest in PM often do so out of concern that the sh*t might hit the fan one day and all stocks become fugazi. I have a lot of $ in stocks and fear that it's just a number on a screen. My retirement is based on numbers on screens. If all goes well, I'll have a great retirement. But there are scenarios where $2M in Google stock disappears.

Plus it's nice to pick up a heavy bar of gold or walk around with a couple silver eagles in your pocket.

You also said before that you would be lucky to find anyone to buy your PM. Go to ebay and filter gold and silver coins by 'sold' and see what they are going for. Those that were able to get through on the US Mint website (lucky me!!) and bought 2021 Morgan Silver Eagles when they were released made 2-3X their investment in minutes.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dustyone
Originally Posted by irfubar
Dustyone,
Then simply don't invest in PM..... problem solved

There never was a problem as my tech portfolio is sufficient and unlike metals tech keeps getting reinvented. 20 years from now computers will not be identifiable from what we have now while an ounce of gold will still be just what it is.

You probably think that gold appreciates and it does, until you put it up against Amazon, Google or Apple

Gold price 30 years

Now if you invested 1000 dollars in Apple in 1980 that 1000 dollars is now worth 430,000 dollars.

Conclusion gold sucks as an investment

But you enjoy pretending

Pretending? do you always make hasty assumptions?
I don't consider pm an investment in the traditional sense. I see it as a hedge to preserve wealth with no third party liability.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Buy low, sell high, be patient in between. Simple

Simply complicated right Norm? smile

Listen to those that can.... my advice

Invest within your means and it is super simple! Don't for get to always Do Your Own Homework!

An honest question MCH, with all that's transpired how do you know the info you research is correct?

I guess the same way you do research on anything else and accept it as correct. All investments have a little bit of a gamble built in. I see things moving away from proof of work, to Proof of Stake.Which makes it a lot harder and costly to corrupt the Blockchain. Personally I have been watching what the big investment houses have been doing. Not that they are clean, but they are paid on performance for the most part. I think they are very cautious moving into the Crypto sector. I think more importantly is to not get greedy and try to push it, that is where I see most people make fatal errors in any means of investing. I recover my initial investment and let the rest ride, I am not looking for the BIG HIT. But at the same time I'll ride with house money.

People told me I missed the market here in the Bitterroot in real estate yet I did my research, tracked trends, searched out buys that showed upside and was patient. I am not killing it but I have made some money on a parcel of land and built equity with other peoples money in a Duplex. That Duplex has appreciated over $130K in six years. I'll take those scraps all day everyday.

There is no get rich quick or easy way. It's work, a grind, and time consuming but pays off. There is Risk in everything, it comes down to how much risk you are willing to accept. Investing within your means should dictate your level of risk. Invest what you can afford to lose.

One last thing Crypto isn't just a currency. Major corporations run on Blockchains. So there is value outside of currency.

Thanks MCH for taking the time to answer my question. I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole block chain thing. Seems the government will only let it go so far.
As for researching stocks I am also puzzled how these "zombie" companies that show no profit can trade for billions? guess that is why I stick with real estate that I own & control.
So far so good, despite the crazy stuff the government is doing.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Invest within your means and it is super simple! Don't for get to always Do Your Own Homework!

An honest question MCH, with all that's transpired how do you know the info you research is correct?

I guess the same way you do research on anything else and accept it as correct. All investments have a little bit of a gamble built in. I see things moving away from proof of work, to Proof of Stake.Which makes it a lot harder and costly to corrupt the Blockchain. Personally I have been watching what the big investment houses have been doing. Not that they are clean, but they are paid on performance for the most part. I think they are very cautious moving into the Crypto sector. I think more importantly is to not get greedy and try to push it, that is where I see most people make fatal errors in any means of investing. I recover my initial investment and let the rest ride, I am not looking for the BIG HIT. But at the same time I'll ride with house money.

People told me I missed the market here in the Bitterroot in real estate yet I did my research, tracked trends, searched out buys that showed upside and was patient. I am not killing it but I have made some money on a parcel of land and built equity with other peoples money in a Duplex. That Duplex has appreciated over $130K in six years. I'll take those scraps all day everyday.

There is no get rich quick or easy way. It's work, a grind, and time consuming but pays off. There is Risk in everything, it comes down to how much risk you are willing to accept. Investing within your means should dictate your level of risk. Invest what you can afford to lose.

One last thing Crypto isn't just a currency. Major corporations run on Blockchains. So there is value outside of currency.

Thanks MCH for taking the time to answer my question. I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole block chain thing. Seems the government will only let it go so far.
As for researching stocks I am also puzzled how these "zombie" companies that show no profit can trade for billions? guess that is why I stick with real estate that I own & control.

If you think you actually own that real estate, try skipping a property tax payment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gold ...3% compounded annually
Guitars...3% compounded annually
Guns ...3% compounded annually
Real estate ... 6% compounded annually
Stock market indexed fund....9% compounded annually.
Tech giants, formerly IBM and AT&T, now MSFT, FB, AAPL, GOOG, AMZN, TSLA, NFLX, ect... 20% compounded annually
Your house @20% down payment..... 30% compounded annually

Matthew 25:14-30
The Parable of the Bags of Gold

24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’

26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn

If you think you actually own that real estate, try skipping a property tax payment.

Lol.... yes I understand that.
It does cause some concern... but I have a plan... raise rents.... inflation... raise rents... rinse and repeat... the rub comes when you can no longer raise the rents.
Therefore a hedge is required.... kinda like a plan "B" wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Gold ...3% compounded annually
Guitars...3% compounded annually
Guns ...3% compounded annually
Real estate ... 6% compounded annually
Stock market indexed fund....9% compounded annually.
Tech giants, formerly IBM and AT&T, now MSFT, FB, AAPL, GOOG, AMZN, TSLA, NFLX, ect... 20% compounded annually
Your house @20% down..... 30% compounded annually

Matthew 25:14-30
The Parable of the Bags of Gold

24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’

26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

All those calculation hold true.... until they don't... what leads you to believe things are going to continue on as normal in the future? normalcy bias?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Lol.... yes I understand that.
It does cause some concern... but I have a plan... raise rents.... inflation... raise rents... rinse and repeat... the rub comes when you can no longer raise the rents.
Therefore a hedge is required.... kinda like a plan "B" wink

I wasn't knocking you. Real estate is one of the best investments I am aware of. I was just making the point that one never really owns it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All those calculation hold true.... until they don't... what leads you to believe things are going to continue on as normal in the future? normalcy bias?

I have normalcy bias so bad I don't believe in climate change, Keynesian economics, nor gloom and doom investing.

I do believe what the bible says about holding pm. I have my money working.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Clarkm

I have normalcy bias so bad I don't believe in climate change, Keynesian economics, nor gloom and doom investing.

I do believe what the bible says about holding pm. I have my money working.

In Genesis it says that a man's wealth is measured by how much gold, silver, land, and head of sheep and cattle he possesses.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Gawd, it's becoming impossible to read this forum anymore. I'm ignoring 1/2 the posts on this thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

This shows Microsoft stock making 21% per year over the last 32 years

Meanwhile Gold has done 4.5% over the same period time.

J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Well gold is a hedge against inflation.

Also during the market crash and Great Depression, gold was stable.

Gold/silver are poor investments, but as intended, gold still makes sense to have in a portfolio. YMMV

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JeffP

Gold/silver are poor investments, but as intended, gold still makes sense to have in a portfolio. YMMV

A 100 dollar investment in Apple at IPO is now worth $67,564.00 as of the writing of the article that I found.

PS Gold does not prevent inflation nearly as well as Apples, so you can keep yours

PSS If gold is so valuable and such a great hedge why is Rosland Capital selling as much as they can?

https://gold-kit.roslandcapital.com...vNMONlJJxZQ9F_hau7q3fY3nb2xoCOnwQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Dustyone; 08/05/21.

I VOTED FOR TRUMP TWICE, AND WILL VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole block chain thing.
As am I. I understand the basics but it is a very complex thing. I learn a little everyday.

Seems the government will only let it go so far.
For sure! The government will find a way to get their cut and control.

guess that is why I stick with real estate that I own & control.
I really like real estate, there is very little downside to it.

Personally I feel anyone that has a balanced portfolio can afford to put a small amount into crypto. There isn't a stock that has made the run that crypto has. I wish I was on that run but I wasn't. I have since gotten on board and done pretty good. I am holding on and in hopes of another good run. We'll see!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

A 100 dollar investment in Apple at IPO is now worth $67,564.00 as of the writing of the article that I found.

PS Gold does not prevent inflation nearly as well as Apples, so you can keep yours

PSS If gold is so valuable and such a great hedge why is Rosland Capital selling as much as they can?

You have a lot to learn about PM's. I don't invest in them nor do I hold any. But I certainly have a better understanding of them than you do.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Not Alphabet, Apple or Amazon can match the returns of Monster or Tractor supply. Just to show you Tech isn't all you make it out to be!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If it comes to that, it will be past time to invoke the 2nd.

It’s already time

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I am still trying to wrap my head around the whole block chain thing.
As am I. I understand the basics but it is a very complex thing. I learn a little everyday.

Seems the government will only let it go so far.
For sure! The government will find a way to get their cut and control.

guess that is why I stick with real estate that I own & control.
I really like real estate, there is very little downside to it.

Personally I feel anyone that has a balanced portfolio can afford to put a small amount into crypto. There isn't a stock that has made the run that crypto has. I wish I was on that run but I wasn't. I have since gotten on board and done pretty good. I am holding on and in hopes of another good run. We'll see!

After the next crash when cryptocurrency vanishes the government will enact strict regulations and ban some of what exist now and the brokerages encouraging crypto will be held accountable in some fashion

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Not Alphabet, Apple or Amazon can match the returns of Monster or Tractor supply. Just to show you Tech isn't all you make it out to be!

Try again Tractor supply is up 13,327 percent since IPO and Apple is up 291,100 percent since IPO.

But you keep pretending

Last edited by Dustyone; 08/10/21.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 13 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,684
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.