-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope, Boomer, the commercial over the road driver has never seen really bad driving.

whistle whistle

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Enjoy a cheese burger at Hudson’s Hamburgers. Two minute walk from the Resort up on Sherman Ave. It’s simple, but good. Unique spot with a very long history. This time of year it will be packed around lunch time and you’ll have a wait. Go at 11am or after 2pm.
Order a “cheese both”, (cheese burger w/ pickle and onion). This place won’t be what you expect, but you’ll be glad you went. Any local resident knows about getting a “Huddy burger”.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
September 15 might be all right timing wise. Right now is the most coconuts I've ever seen "tourism." But we might get rain or something between now and then, kill the smoke, and maybe the tourists will burn out by then.
Definitely golf if you can. If you want to do "western Montana in two days," then I would ask RIGHT NOW about two things:
Can you get a Sun Road pass to Glacier for either day?
Can you get a room in Columbia Falls or Whitefish for an acceptable price for the overnight? Maybe even St Mary?
In general, you can do kind of a loop trip. CdA, Spt, Bonners, Libby, Eureka, Flathead, Missoula. There are basically three ways to get from Kalispell/Missoula to Spokane/CdA and you could do two of the three. There's US 2 on the north, Montana 200/28/56 in the middle, US 93/MT 135/I 90 on the south.
Honestly, I'd skip the Interstate and Missoula. I'd also try to make it a three-day thing with your far point being St Mary.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by uncle joe
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Does CDA stand for "bunch of [bleep] driving"?

Probably, but also my lame attempt to abbreviate Coeur d'Alene.

Late on noticing this. You are 100% correct, CDA.

Enjoy your trip.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Nope, Boomer, the commercial over the road driver has never seen really bad driving.

whistle whistle

Bad in CDA? Not really bad, it's just way more asshooleistic than necessary. Seems like folks that think very highly of themselves. Like Seattle folks drive. How dare dose Thou travel in front of ME! I mean it's like they have several miles to go and all.

That VG is one odd sort. I can imagine what it'd been like for some poor bastid to encounter him professionally! Yikes. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Do you like roller coasters? Like Burleyboy mentioned there is Silverwood theme park in Athol. They’ll only be open on the weekends in September. The Garnet Cafe is excellent for breakfast. Iron Pizza is somewhat new and good unique pizza. Wolf Lodge has decent steaks but is a north Idaho staple to try. Beverly’s at the top of the resort is a $100 two person dinner but quite good.
I’m going to be in Wyoming chasing antelope while you are here but if you have specific questions shoot me a message.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hudson Burgers sounds good. I'll need to stop by, next time I'm in CDA

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you decide to go east thru I-90 there's the Hiawatha trail you can rent bikes. Nifty ride lots of tunnels and trestles and fires are burning at the moment.

I'm 40 min east of CdA in Wallace area. It's unreal how many out of state plates there are this year. Like locusts, I've never seen anything like it.

There's a nice ride from Wallace over either Dobson or Cooper passes into Thomoson Falls. Beauty of a drive

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by AB2506
I think I would treat the wife to a dinner cruise or a nice restaurant over looking the lake. I've always wanted to do that, but never have. Lake Couer d Alene is quite beautiful.

There is an excellent restaurant on the lake. My wife and I have eaten there several times and enjoyed the food and the view. I can't remember the name now but either one of our north Idaho members will know it or people around there would certainly know it. Once you get the name, if you'd like to eat there, be sure and call for a reservation. It is a popular eatery.

Have a good time. That area up there is beautiful.

L.W.

I just ate at Beverly's yesterday at the CDA resort. Food is mediocre, but view is worth it . Ok martinis. go sit at the bar and order, no need to wait for reservations. spend an hour in CDA then get out and see the surrounding areas. CDA is a tourist trap now. Best pizza in the area is 15 min awayat embers on the lake in Hauser. Best food in the area is at the Whitehouse grill in nearby Post Falls, get the Chilean sea bass and the house red. The owner is a great guy, immigrant and big conservative and friend of mine.

https://www.whitehousegrill.com

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ribka; 08/09/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would head west, super smoky everywhere east of the coast.

Grin.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Valsdad

whistle whistle

That VG is one odd sort. I can imagine what it'd been like for some poor bastid to encounter him professionally! Yikes. LOL

Yikes! is right.

Last edited by Valsdad; 08/09/21.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
If you decide to go east thru I-90 there's the Hiawatha trail you can rent bikes. Nifty ride lots of tunnels and trestles and fires are burning at the moment.

I'm 40 min east of CdA in Wallace area. It's unreal how many out of state plates there are this year. Like locusts, I've never seen anything like it.

There's a nice ride from Wallace over either Dobson or Cooper passes into Thomoson Falls. Beauty of a drive

My wife was born in Wallace, nice area. Anyway if you go to Missoula, I'd take a drive to Lolo Hot Springs, it's a fun place. I loved going there when I was younger. Drinking age was 18 so those of us from Idaho spent a lot of time there when we turned 18.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Sounds good. Remember the binoculars. Experience proves looking for bighorns is best done when parked, or as a passenger, or at least not driving a semi on a snow-covered road.... whistle

--- Kid Rock 2022

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
CDA is what the locals call it so they do not have to spell in out and it works for mail also..CDA is the place you want to be right now if you want Covid..Kootenai Health is almost full and stopping some surgeries because of it...

Enjoy.....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wait, Covid is real?

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by logcutter
CDA is what the locals call it so they do not have to spell in out and it works for mail also..CDA is the place you want to be right now if you want Covid..Kootenai Health is almost full and stopping some surgeries because of it...

Enjoy.....

really scary stuff

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
At Fairmont hot springs tonight and then headed to Sand point tomorrow.

I was thinking about northern Idaho during the drive today. When I was in 4th grade about 40 years ago my teacher read us a book about Wallace area I think and the mining boom. I think the book was about a family that ran a restaurant out of a tent in the mining town.

I don't remember much else about it but I loved those stories as a kid. Does anyone have any idea what book it might have been? I've never been able to find it.

Bb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (219DW, 160user, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 11,892 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,250
Posts18,544,406
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.