Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a Lee Mag Melter Furnace with ladle, I have been using it regularly for many years.

I cast thousands of bullets a year, thousands and it has never failed me.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010213626?pid=709235

I also have well over a dozen bullets molds many of them Lee in both 2 cavity and 6. Never had a problem with them . They work just fine if you know how to use them.

Last edited by steve4102; 08/12/21.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
IMHO, you want to smooth the path step back from Lee casting equipment. They do have some good products, but bottom pour pots and aluminum moulds are way down at the bottom of the valley.

And what would you know about bullet casting, novice? grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno Jack Chittsengruber about it, but read a lot on the innanet.

You might find this useful.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Last edited by DigitalDan; 08/12/21.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cra1948
Lots of good advice here. If all you’re going to do is balls for your revolver it’s pretty straight forward and simple. I would agree with ‘flave, stay away from bottom pour initially, it overcomplicates the process while learning. If you’re going to go for high performance cast bullets for magnum revolvers and rifles be forewarned: you’re going down a rabbit hole. There are a lot of guys here who are great sources of knowledge about bullet casting. Have fun.

Yes, that's why I posted, i.e., because I knew I'd be benefiting from many years of experience on the subject.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I also have a small electric hot plate next to my furnace to temper the mold before casting.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can also use the hotplate to melt the lead, in the Summer time. On cold days it will not keep the temp up...

Good thing is you don't need to worry about getting the melt too hot with the hotplate.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don’t use the hot plate for lead, just to temper the mold itself.

When I cast ingots I use a big old cast iron Dutch over over a gas burner, careful to not let the melt get to hot so as to melt zinc

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Tempering the mold.

Probably not as big a deal making round balls. When pouring bullets, the mold must be preheated. I lay my five cavity molds across the top of the lead furnace while preparing the work station. Then the first thirty to forty bullets are dumped straight back into the melt. It takes a few cycles for the mold to reach appropriate temperature.

Molds

Mine come from "Accurate Molds". My 41 cal mold throws 175 gr, 210 gr, and 250 gr bullets with each pour. It is made of Aluminum and works fine.

I also have an Accurate .312 cal mold for the 327s. It throws 90 gr and 120 gr bullets. This mold is made of Iron. It takes a lot more time to preheat and a lot more time to cool. It is also VERY heavy out there on the end of the handles. Several hours of casting is fatiguing of the dominant arm.

Any future purchases will be constructed of Aluminum. Further purchases will consist of molds for 9mm and 10mm.

Hand protection

I like heavy elk hide gloves and long sleeves. The elk, it seems, is more resistant to heat damage and hardening than cow hide.

Flux,

Is a source of Carbon which consumes the Oxygen from the lead air interface and reduces formation of Lead Oxides. Paraffin is commonly used.

Smelting

The reduction of common lead waste to bullet alloys. Waste may include wheel weights, roof flashing, plumber's lead, old pipe, anything made of pewter.. Fluxing is critical in this process, as air is continuously being introduced and mixed through the pot. I use cedar sawdust. Cedar planks are pushed through the table saw specifically to make the sawdust.

With the purchase of prepared lead alloy, you will have no need for smelting.

Eye protection

ABSOLUTELY

The silver fairy

Oh yes. Steam explosions inside your melting pot which sprinkle the entire room with molten lead confetti.

Never been there. Seen pics.

Not likely with purchased lead ingots. But it happens sometimes when smelting scrap which may contain some hidden reservoir with a bit of water or ice therein.

Homogenous lots of lead

Again, not a problem when using commercial ingots.

Definitely a problem when using varying lots of scrap. Each pot is different from the last. One can either get a pot and heat sauce big enough to melt and blend his entire alloy inventory at one time.

Or one can do it in a production pot 20 lbs at a time. I did the latter, and poured twenty one pound ingots from each pot. The ingots from each pot are kept segregated.

Then an equal number of ingots from each pile is melted back into the pot, and repoured as final alloy. When done, all ingots will be of similar content.

castboolits.gunloads.com is a great resource with lots of helpful people.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.