Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
My 54 year old brother in law took his life with a Colt Gold Cup 45 in May 2019. The pistol was purchased by my sister in law in 1980 (worked for Colt at the time) and given to my father in law who passed on in 2007. We have the bill of sale and box for the gun as proof of ownership but there was no ATF transfer to my father in law since it wasn't required at the time. And it was never transferred to my brother in law since he didn't have a pistol permit.

After my father in law passed I help my mother in law sell some of his guns. My brother in law said he wanted the Colt and a couple rifles so I left them in the safe at her house. He apparently transported the Colt to his condo in Holyoke, Mass where he took his life. The Holyoke PD took the gun from his condo and when I called to inquire about it afterwards they said it was transferred to the state police and gave me a name to call. The state police detective said the gun had to go through ballistics to determine if was used in any crimes. After calling every 3 or 4 months I was told it had finally cleared the ballistics lab in early December of last year. I figured we'd get it back shortly after that but after waiting a few more months I called and was told the DA needed to approve it's release. That was in February and I was told the DA is busy which is what I was told every time I've called since then. I wrote a letter to the DA last month and am not sure what else I can do. Thought I'd post this and see if anyone has suggestions.

The gun is probably worth around $1200. I figured I could sell it and give the money to my mother in law who had to cover his final expenses as well as some debt he accumulated to settle his estate.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good luck with that.

Being CT/Mass I wouldn't hold my breath.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Keep being a pain in their ass, someone there wants that gun.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
A friend of mine took his life in the same way. They have been told they will not get it back. The explanation is it was used in a crime.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would drive to the office of the person who can return it, take the entire record since 2019, show it to him/her, ask for it right now, and sit there until they give it to me..

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
You're not pushing enough. Call 3 times a week. Go to the office in person and ask questions.... Be a PIA. Don't stop until they give it to you.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I don’t think I’d want to touch it. My brother in law did the same thing with a 1100 16 gauge. We told them to destroy it.

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by wdvicker
A friend of mine took his life in the same way. They have been told they will not get it back. The explanation is it was used in a crime.

I don’t believe suicide is a crime. It may be classified that way by some politically motivated DA but we haven’t been told that.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by WTM45

Good job.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Good luck with that.

Yep. Probably already destroyed it.

Like they do in most Liberal Run LEO Agency’s.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Good job.

Originally Posted by jaguartx

Good job.

I may call this guy and get his advice. The Hamden county DA has 4 offices. I’m sure there’s more than one DA that could approve the release as well but just showing cold is likely a waste of time.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Smaller PD may not have drying racks.
State Police here wont take a gun for checks unless its been dried out.

So......wet ones can be returned to family. If local PD rules it OK to do so ( case closed ).
Only takes a day or two to rust the hell out of one.

My local area had a lot of suicides when a factory went under. Cop i know was cleaning a suicide gun once a week, and most families wanted them returned.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
50/50 someone has already made it their very own.

They may actually not know where it is and are stalling.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Probably in someones gun safe/collection and it is uncomfortable for them to get it back from the good ole boy....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Good luck with that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd bet a cop took it home.

Youre going to have to be a big enough PITA to make him bring it back.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it was never transferred to your brother-in-law that's what may be holding it up. But I would keep trying for eventually they will figure out that it's "clean"; as in not stolen or used in crime. Years ago a co-worker of a close friend had a brother-in-law take his life with his own, legally owned 44 magnum, a S&W Mod. 29 IIRC. Cops had it for a certain amount of time which wasn't that long. Then it was treated just like any transfer between two pistol permit holders. Twenty years ago I inherited the Luger one of my late uncles brought home from Germany in 1945 and it never got registered in NY state. We surrendered it to the local P.D. and eventually, ( about a year) after they ran all the checks it was declared a war trophy and I got it put on my pistol permit. Just keep trying and best of luck to you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck Bill. Hope it turns out well, but I wouldn't expect it to be returned in the condition it was before the event.

As someone mentioned, if they didn't clean it right away, as within a day or two, it'll be rusted in places.

My experience, a friend married a gal who's husband committed suicide by cop. Two other weapons were found on the bed of the place he was at. A Rem700 and a Win Mod 12. When she finally got them back, after much stalling by the local cops, both were inoperable as returned. The Rem was missing the bolt and the shotgun had been put back together wrong and the slide action wouldn't cycle. Eventually, my friend's wife wanted them gone so I got them at a good price.

Really a scheidty situation for you on top of the loss of a family member. I do hope the pistol is returned in good condition.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had to get a revolver that belonged to me back from the State Police here in Kentucky. I had to wait for the case to clear the court, then go to the judge and get a letter from him releasing the revolver back to me, then drive an hour to the State Police office and get it back.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.