-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Henry - "I don't know any of these stories about Mormons. I don't know any of these kinds of stories about Catholics, Methodists, Baptists or any other religion. I would gather very few people do..."

Isn't that the point? If no one ever investigates and reports this stuff, a lot of folks would just go on believing that all (their) religious leaders are infallible. This stuff just points out the fact that our faith should not be placed in religious leaders on this earth. Those who look down on religion will do so without any prompting. The message hear is for believers - not to follow blindly any earthly "leader" or dogma. Seems quite in line with biblical teaching, to me...

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� Read a contemporary historian's account of the Mountain Meadows massacre in Dunn's Massacres of the Mountains,

� Guilt is a matter of what the accused allegedly did or didn't do, not a matter of who he was � be he Michael Vick, O J Simpson, Robert Blake, David Koresh, or somebody else whose name hasn't even made the evening news.

� "Christian" zealots have been massacring "heretical" Christians for centuries � some early Roman Catholics officially slaughtered non-Catholic Christians by the tens of thousands � Lutherans drowned Anabaptists � etc.

� The one legitimate template for truly Christian belief and behavior is Jesus, not any of the many who have tattooed His name on their foreheads or embroidered His name on their shirts.

� None of the above makes anyone guilty of what others did generations or even centuries ago. I'm not guilty of anything that my former neighbors' forefathers did to other neighbors' forefathers a couple of centuries ago.

Sift the facts � don't blend 'em.

Exactly.

One should no more blame a modern day Catholic for the atrocities of the Church in earlier times, as they should blame a modern day Baptist for the Klan, or a member of the LDS for the MMM.....

Then again, if one couldn't put another's religion down, and cast blame on the other, s/he might have to look to themselves for proof of sin....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
kenjs1 - I'm staying out of this post but to answer your question
the Spanish Inquisiton (sp) killed or tourtured thousands of people during their reign of terror during the middle ages. You'll find more about it on the web... CEJ
CEJ and others that is my point. The more I research it the lower these numbers appear to be. I hear people say hundreds of thousands were killed as if it is accepted fact. What I find seemingly more credible puts the number at something like 3000 or in the least a small fraction of those brought to trial. I brought this up because a friend kept touting a common notion that Christianity is responsible for more deaths than any other force blah blah. I said we accept it because we are a guilt based order with a need to admit and seek atonement. He pointed to the Inquisition and Spaniards in the new world. I countered by saying quite frankly the people Cortez encountered would find few tears shed by me - BUT more to the point, I said that planting a flag in the name of God and Spain is subject matter for a nice painting but if there is no gold or precious commodities to return home with then no religious fervor would have ever caused a dime to be spent on sending a second ship back into these waters. It was greed that killed, not Christ. I said nowhere in our immediate history do I remember armies told to fight screaming the name of Jesus at their enemies. I further stated that we as Christians recognize and feel shame at past wrongs while another religion revels in the glory of its slaughters, looking forward to more, rather than praying for an avoidance of it.. I said the East India Trading co. had more sway in Parliament than the church of England -meaning India was not ruled to convert the masses but rather to feed English economy. No one in England would have kept his elected seat on his religious fervor for making India, or any other nation, Christian yet who in present Pakistan could keep a seat without using religion as a pretext? I introduced the following as well. Christians have gone to war to free non-christians, Jews and Muslims. What is the likely hood of that favor being returned? We have inflated numbers of deaths while others deny the holocost. ok - so enough. Sorry to take such turns, but did want to share the ideas. Not sayng I am right - just saying what I countered with. Shed some light if interested.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just for perspective.

A few years ago I visited the Torture Museum in Toledo, Spain. Just by itself it was a sobering and disquieting experience. It was made up of various torture devices used in the Spanish Inquisition. However, according to the museum, almost all of the instruments ( the rack, iron maiden, and worse, etc) were brought to the museum from Germany , where they had been used in the little known, but contemporaneous German Inquisition because Spain had destroyed all of its devices. Germany had not.

The point is, perhaps, things are what they are (or were), and unless there's relevance, just move on. The Mountain Meadows Massacre story has always been interesting to me and apparently, the LDS keeps it relevant. I don't expect them to ever admit Brigham Young knew of it in advance or had anything to do with it, whether he did or not. It just won't happen and doesn't really matter.

Not trying to offend anyone.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They are not your kin, neither the victims or perpetrators. You are not Mormon, yet you are spending an inordinate amount of time on the massacre and are full of horrific stories of Mormons abusing, killing and torturing others that you readily relate on the internet.

I am an American, this is part of my history, and a horrific incident of mass murder quite unlike any other.

Mostly I relate stuff here as I discover it, figuring others may also find it interesting. The LDS may be right about the movie in one regard, I had never thought much about the incident or the Mormon Church before seeing the movie.

The movie has been panned by critics for making the perpetrators look like theologically-driven lunatics, but I think in this case the critics are missing the point.

Anyhow, browing around on this topic, a sober and well-researched website that came up is www.exmormon.org . I have no comment pertaining to the motives of contemporary Mormons who have left the church. I have little personal experience with the doctrines of Mormonism, and I am sure that the modern LDS would do everything in their power to prevent the likes of the Meadows if such were happening today.

Likewise they long ago rejected the principle of "blood atonement", which WAS being preached by Brigham Young during the same time period as the Meadows incident.

A chilling account from the exmormon folks on "blood atonement" circa 1857 can be found at... http://www.exmormon.org/bloodatn.htm , quoting Brigham Young's sermons on the topic in the time period leading up to Mountain Meadows. Also, a number of incidents of throat-cutting and castration are related, from more than one author.

Anyhow, I've presented what I have been able to discover pertaining to the massacre, Bagley does quote a "gentile" aquaintance of his living in Salt Lake as saying words to the effect that no believing Mormon will ever accept that Brigham Young had anything to do with Mountain Meadows, and no non-Mormon will ever believe otherwise.

About sums it up I reckon.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had troubles with the LDS I wont go into that, But it did lead me to study them and their history a lot. There is a mountains of info both pro and con readily available on line and from the other sources.
UMI or Utah Missions Inc has a very large libary of LDS literature they are anti LDS but for the pro side the LDS can provide you with their side, as they also have lots of literature.There are also news paper records that are very useful. Pay close attention to Joseph Smith's early life in Palmyra NY he was an interesting character.
I'll let y'all make up your minds if you wish to search for the truths. But I will add this Mormonism is not what it seems on the surface. And I am not saying the Mormons are bad quite the contrary. Most Mormons that I know, and have met are very good folks. If they have a fault it is that they spend to much time reading their own literature, and not enough time reading the Bible. And most of them have no clue to the rituals and beliefs that the LDS promotes.

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The anti Osama thread gets 11 replies.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...lat/Number/1635248/page/3/gonew/1#UNREAD

The Mormon movie thread gets 85 replies.

Anyone see a problem with this?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It may just mean we don't have too many Al Quaeda members. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anyone going to a movie theater for a history lesson seems a bit light in the cranium. Of course we can believe what we see in theaters made by the Hollywood elite.

I am also quite sure I would accept the likes of Tom Cruise, Jennifer Aniston, George Clooney, etc. as my professor of higher education.

We also know that the "China Syndrome" is how we make our policies of the day in regards to the unsafe aspects of nuclear power. Again Hollywood would never exploit anything controversial for profit, much less misrepresent the facts for the sake of a good gate at the ticket office.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� LDS theology, as far as I'm concerned, is an insult to Jesus and His Way. (But no, I will not elaborate. I have no wish to dismantle even a brick of it.)

� The LDS church isn't what it was at the time of the Mountain Meadows massacre.

� The Mormons whom I've known have all been personally indistinguishable from other typical Americans.

� The Mountain Meadows massacre is a fact of history and as such is legitimate grist for historians to mill.

� The guilt for the Mountain Meadows massacre rests on the shoulders of men who're long dead. That guilt made its way into nobody's DNA.

� Neither "inherited guilt" nor 1857 guilt is a matter of either 2007 condemnation or 2007 absolution.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I think the predominant question in most folk's mind concerning MMM, is how could righteous, family oriented folks have committed such an abhorrent deed.

I thought the movie did a good job of demonstrating how such a thing COULD happen.

I don't think it said a darned thing about the nature of Mormans in the subsequent 150 years.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a 100 years how will historians view the present war on terrorists. Will it be slowly shifted to a religious war--Christianity against Muslims or remain a terrorist war?
Same goes for Irelands Catholic/Protestant war. They have been a each others throats for over 400 years.
I really can't understand how people's religion can condone such actions or be labelled God's sword.
There are skeletons in closets everywhere.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
� I really can't understand how people's religion can condone such actions or be labelled God's sword. �

You've just mentioned two completely disparate things � people and religion.

People have unlimited ways of rationalizing and justifying all kinds of inhumanities and atrocities.

Rarely do their religions support their atrocities.

Most people don't really know or understand the religions that they identify with. Most people � especially in America, where rugged individualism is a personal religion in itself � form their religious concepts from their own preferences and biases.

smirk

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not intending to flog a waning thread...

Here are two remarkable accounts: The first from J.H. Carleton, Brevet Major of the US Dragoons, whose men built the first rock cairn at the site.

The second is from John Doyle Lee (scroll down link), the only man executed for his part in the murders, written shortly before his execution...

http://www.exmormon.org/journey/journey_h.htm
It is my fate to die for what I did; but I go to my death with a certainty that it cannot be worse than my life has been for the last nineteen years.

John Doyle Lee

More disturbingly, one account of the political fallout following the accidental uncovering of the remains of massacre victims on the occasion of the construction of the LDS-sponsored memorial. Written BTW, by a Mormon, turns out Will Bagley is a Mormon too (scroll to bottom of link)...

To the shock of those watching on August 3, 1999, a backhoe's claw tore open the grave exposing the skeletal remains of men, women, and children who had been brutally murdered in 1857....

In 1998 the LDS (Mormon) Church, owners of the land, had agreed to restore the gravesite. This excavation was part of that renovation. However, the Mormon Church was totally unprepared for the legal and political controversy that followed when the skeletons of so many men, women, and children were unearthed.

The first-reaction comment of one of the men who unearthed the skeletons was to dump them back into the hole and swear an oath of secrecy. But after giving it a second thought the men realized they were legally bound by Utah State law to inform the proper authorities of the find.

They eventually called Washington County Sheriff, Kirk Smith. Smith said it was a very humbling experience. "I saw buttons, some pottery, and bones of adults and children. But the children�that was what really hit me hard."

Utah state archeologist, Kevin Jones, was immediately called in. He explained to a group of state officials, including Governor Mike Leavitt, the state law which required any unidentified human remains found on private property be forensically examined. Jones issued a permit and the remains were taken to Church owned, Brigham Young University lab, allowing scientists to determine the age, sex, race, stature, health condition, and cause of death. "We were under pressure from the very beginning to get done what we needed to do very quickly," Jones said.

Shannon Novak, a University of Utah forensic anthropologist was allowed to study the remains. Novak thought the work would take perhaps six months to complete. She said: "This [kind of work] is giving the dead a chance to speak." The bones were beginning to tell their story when she received an unexpected phone call from BYU archaeologist, Shane Baker, on the evening of September 8. Baker was on the scene when the discovery was made the month earlier. He had been hired by the Mormon Church to examine the meadow to make sure the grave would not be disturbed, before earthmoving equipment was sent in.

Novak was not prepared for the conversation that ensued. Baker told her the antiquities permit had been rewritten. He informed her that she would have to surrender the bones by the end of the next day. She was able to secure only one extra day and told Baker he could have them back the morning of September 10.

Knowing that time was now her enemy, Novak, her research assistant, Derrina Kopp, a photographer, and other experts sorted through the fragments. By the time they finished, she concluded the bones represented at least 28 people.

It further became evident that white men's methods rather than Paiute Indians' had accomplished the murders. The examination also disclosed that some of the victims, including several women and at least one child, had been killed while facing their executioners head-on, by point-blank gunshots between their eyes, rather than being shot in the back while fleeing, as earlier accounts had claimed.

Novak found that at least two small children were beaten to death. One of the children was about four the other about seven. There was no evidence that any of the victims had been scalped, or that any of them had been shot with arrows, as had been claimed through the years.

Utah's governor, Mike Leavitt, who happens to be a descendant of an apparent participant in the massacre, had given the order to have the bones reburied immediately. Novak's examination was still not complete, including DNA testing. Nevertheless, she was forced to surrender the bones.

Marian Jacklin, a U.S. Forest Service archeologist, was one of many who fought the state's decision to halt the inquiry. "Those bones could tell the story and this was their only opportunity," she said. Jones commented that the bones should be studied to help future generations better understand the past. "None of them got to tell their story. This was our only opportunity for them to tell us what happened to them," Jones said.

Hundreds of victims' relatives around the country petitioned the state of Utah to retrieve the remains of their ancestors, some demanding DNA testing. Their request fell on deaf ears. The governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee, speaking for the descendants living in his state, requested federal stewardship of the site, which would remove it from Church control. Again, the request fell on deaf ears.

Nope, this story ain't over yet....

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

I really can't understand how people's religion can condone such actions or be labelled God's sword.
There are skeletons in closets everywhere.

One word, "Cult"

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, some progress HAS been made, I figure give it another generation before the LDS quits throwing up walls, and I believe the impetus will come from within the Mormon community themselves...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/24/national/main3201113.shtml

Apparently the official newsletter of the LDS is going to address the massacre, which is something, although I dunno if that would have happened without the "September Dawn" movie.

Prob'ly no need to read the article, nor the upcoming LDS-financed book on the topic. One of the co-authors of the book likely gave a useful summation of the whole work....

The upcoming, church-blessed account will argue that the plan was hatched by Mormons in southern Utah, not Young. Coauthor Richard Turley argues that only one of the Indian chiefs at the meeting can be shown to be in the region of the fighting, and he was on a peaceful mission.

"Were there things said in Salt Lake City by President Young that lent themselves to create this atmosphere of tension in the south? Well, of course there were," says Mr. Turley. "But doggone, when you are in a war, things are said that you later on wish weren't said."

Birdwatcher

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Were there any guys wearing ties, white shirts, and black pants, riding around on ten speeds in the movie?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Well, some progress HAS been made �

The best thing that could happen, probably, would be
(a) the massacre site becomes a National Monument, administered by the National Park Service;
and
(b) the National Park Service examines the massacre site in the same ways that it used recently in examining (forensically) the Custer battlefield on the Little Bighorn River in SE Montana.

Let the dead there (their remains and their remaining accoutrements) tell us what happened there.

Whatever happened elsewhere, before and after the massacre � whatever was decided and ordered, by whom, etc � are ancillary matters that will forever be hazy if we never know exactly what happened (and how it all happened) at the massacre site on that terrible day in 1857.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And a hundred years from now , maybe they will do the same at Waco .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Let the dead there (their remains and their remaining accoutrements) tell us what happened there.

Exactly right, and un-friggin-believable in this day and age that han't been done already.

I could be wrong, but John D. Lee's testimony (same link http://www.exmormon.org/journey/journey_h.htm ) doesn't strike me as fabricated, and given the circumstances I'd guess he remembered pretty well what happened, at the Meadows and after.

Comes down to this, from John Lee's account of his reporting to Brigham Young after the massacre....

While I was still talking with him, some men came into his house to see him, so he requested me to keep quiet until they left. I did as he directed.

As soon as the men went out, I continued my recital. I gave him the names of every man that had been present at the massacre. I told him who killed various ones. In fact I gave him all the information there was to give.

When I finished talking about the matter, he said:

"This is the most unfortunate affair that ever befell the Church. I am afraid of treachery among the brethren that were there. If any one tells this thing so that it will become public, it will work us great injury. I want you to understand now, that you are never to tell this again, not even to Heber C. Kimball. It must be kept a secret among ourselves. When you get home, I want you to sit down and write a long letter, and give me an account of the affair, charging it to the Indians. You sign the letter as Farmer to the Indians, and direct it to me as Indian Agent. I can then make use of such a letter to keep off all damaging and troublesome enquiries."

I told him that I would write the letter. (I kept my word; but, as an evidence of his treachery, that same letter that he ordered me to write, he has given to Attorney Howard, and he has introduced it in evidence against me on my trial.)

After nearly 150 years, they're still calling John D. Lee a liar. I'm just grateful he took the time to put his testimony on paper, that at a time when his execution was certain.

Birdwatcher

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.