Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I was hoping someone could offer opinions on 3 guns I found at a pawn shop recently. One was a sako .243 with blonde wood with dark tip and grip cap, white line spacers. Grip cap had a tree inlay and engraving on floor plate. Very nice with a vxII scope. Is this the deluxe model 75? What do you think they sold for originally? Asking price was $799.00. The second interesting one was an Alpha Grand Slam (with a crappy scope) in .280 asking price was $1499.00. Third one was a Voere shikar .300 winmag. Never heard of voere or alpha. Not alot of help from google either.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Joe,

The .243 sounds like a deluxe. I don't know if it's a M-75 or the older L-579. Either way it's worth the $799 and then some. About the only noticable difference between the two is the M-75 has a 3-Lug bolt and the older one has a 2-Lug bolt.

Don't know much about the Voere Shikar, other that they're ugly and heavy. smile I believe that the Voere Shikar is pretty much the same rifle as the Kliengunther, K-14. (Kleingunther imported Voere rifles for a while.)

I'm going from memory here, but I believe the Alpha Grand Slam was the last of about three or so attempts by Homer Koon to design and market rifles. (The other two were the Omega III, and the Ranger Arms "Texas Magnum") I have only seen a couple of "Texas Magnums" and never seen and Alpha, or an Omega. None of the companys lasted very long. I believe that Texas Magnum built the most rifles. Hope this helps....

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks Grasshopper. The Alpha had Dalls, Texas stamped on the barrel. It was a pretty interesting piece but too pricey at $1499.00. I found some voere on gunbroker. It reminds me of a Weatherby . The sako with the leupold caught my attention first. I think I'll go back for it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Joe,

Good plan! That's what I'd do. smile

I'd like to look at the Alpha, but IMHO, that's about twice what it's worth. There were never a lot of them produced. Layne Simpson did a write-up on the Alpha in Handloader or Rifle magazine about twenty years or so ago. I remember reading it. 'Course the rifles that interest me the most are the uncommon ones. smile

Ranger Arms (Texas Magnum) rifles were made in Gainesville, Tx. Alpha Arms was located in Flower Mound, Tx. Both cities aren't far from Dallas.

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If you want me to tell you where the Alpha is located (In Houston Texas)let me know. They had 2 or 3 different ones. I just looked at the one in .280. Could you provide any more info on the Voere?

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Most likely the Sako is a Deluxe forester (L579)being a .243 with the tree inlay in the grip cap and blonde wood which makes it the older 2 lug design before the "75". They seem to be quite popular and that price is on the very low end of what they run.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Could you provide any more info on the Voere?
It was mentioned it might be similar to a K14 Kleingunether and I had one of those for a lot of years. It was my first highpower and a very good shooter. It had a brass follower on an internal detachable magazine. The brass follower meant the rounds did not get worn or scratched like they can off a steel follower. It had a hinged floorplate that included the trigger guard which is not a very good design to leave the trigger exposed. The mag detached via a button along side the action on the ejection side. Two positon safety and a very good trigger. They called it the "Instafire" as it had the fastest lock time of any rifle at that time. The most interesting thing about the K14 was it had a stellite insert that the bolt lugs locked into making it a very tight and strong lockup. It shot under 1" and after bedded to K15 specs even better. I got tired of the Weatherby look and moved it out.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There were two Voere companys. One in Austria, and one in Germany. The German Voere is the one that made the Shikar model and the Kleinguenther K-14, and K-15. These rifle were also marketed in Europe under the moniker; Titan or Titan II

This company was absorbed by Mauser-Werke in 1986. The rifles were then marketed under the model: Mauser Mod: 99 . You have now exhausted my knowledge of the Voere Rifles.

I once owned an Austrian Voere in .308 Norma Magnum.

Grasshopper

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
How much were they asking for the Voere?

Live every day like it's your last, because one day it will be.....
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
$799.00- .300 WinMag

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Joe, huntinhard nailed it on the Sako. I have one exactly like it even to the same caliber. If it is in good shape and that price is legit, it is a steal. And that doesn't even take into account the Leupold on it.

Better jump on it, man!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The sako is in good shape. I'm not much on rating by percentage but it has just a couple of stock dings on it and mild bluing wear. I didn't get a chance to check the bore. I like my rifles to look as good as they shoot and this one fits the bill. VxII to go with it 2x7x33. What would it be worth if it was in 90-95%?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.