Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You said a mouthful there.

The most fun I ever had in a boat, was as a kid. Dad bought a used tri-hull (split-window) made in the 70's. It had a Johnson 60hp that would jerk a 240lb. man up on one ski. We fished and skied until I got out of high school and he sold it. My friend had the same cheap used boat.

Since then, I've bass fished with friends in 45,000 dollar boats, and they are wonderful. But we don't go every week like we once did. I go once a year if I'm lucky.

Kids need love and your time so bad. The price of your toy really won't matter.

Last edited by JD45; 08/29/21.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by pal
One does not finance toys. Buy toys you can afford to pay cash for.

Originally Posted by Anaconda
I’m with Pal on this.
The idea of borrowing 30K against my house to buy a boat doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

Boats are high depreciation, high maintenance items.

The used market is full of boats similar to what you want, only 5+ years old and in almost new condition.

Make a plan and start saving. When you have 10K stashed, start watching Craigs list.
When you find the nearly perfect boat and the asking price is 15K, politely offer 10.

You may needs to do this several times but sooner or later you will buy a boat for 10K with no loan.

I agree here, with these guys!

I know more people, who can't separate themselves from their Wants, and NEEDS!!

As you get older, you don't want to say, man did I screw up!

Sleep on it, and sometimes sleep on it a long time!!!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This all reminds me a financial adviser I knew about 15 years ago. He wanted a cheap runabout to do a little fishing in. Wife and kids got involved and he borrowed for about a $45K ski setup. Two years later, he was divorced and guess who managed to keep the boat.

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Or the guy who put together an awesome setup that can fish fresh or saltwater, can cruise the banks fishing for bass or troll for salmon with downriggers, is great for setting crab and shrimp pots, and can pull a tube! It’s the center of a big chunk if my family’s recreation and we don’t ever have to buy fish or crab.

I’d rather save money in other ways.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Amazing to me how many of you want to tell someone else how to live his life...

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
The used boat market is opening up and prices are dropping. d start looking seriously end of October.

I picked up a used Lund fisherman with 60 hrs on. the 115 hp Yamaha and a new Yamaha kicker. Just went water skiing , tubing and down rigging for kokes yesterday

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Buy the boat you want, life is too short. Either take out a loan if the rate is good enough, or if you had been thinking of a refi on your home, pay for the boat that way.

Let's see here... paying 2.25 - 2.75% (haven't looked recently) on a refi if you were going to do it anyway...

Or...

Paying cash for your boat instead of investing that cash, and losing out on 4 - 40% return on your investment?

The pride of paying cash can cost you money when you could be using it to make more.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
This all reminds me a financial adviser I knew about 15 years ago. He wanted a cheap runabout to do a little fishing in. Wife and kids got involved and he borrowed for about a $45K ski setup. Two years later, he was divorced and guess who managed to keep the boat.

So the lesson is to not get married. Best financial advice ever for men!

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ribka
The used boat market is opening up and prices are dropping. d start looking seriously end of October.

I picked up a used Lund fisherman with 60 hrs on. the 115 hp Yamaha and a new Yamaha kicker. Just went water skiing , tubing and down rigging for kokes yesterday

Sounds like a nice outfit, you get a deal or did you get bent over. ?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Used boat market had been insane. Those saying buy used obviously haven’t been paying much attention. People are buying boats and selling them for about what they paid for them years later, granted you didn’t buy [bleep].

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A friend of mine ordered a new Lund Alaskan in January he wanted it for hunting and fishing so he spec' ed the factory camo , side steering, and a 75hp Merc. It finally showed up at the dealers last week. They called him up and told him he needed to pick it up pronto. Seems they had customers looking at it and offering over 2k more than he paid for it. Was driving the sales staff batshit crazy. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by pal
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This- if ya need to finance a boat, buy a kayak or a canoe!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nothing wrong with buying a canoe. No motor to fail or fuel , bought a real nice condition 1973 model square stern Grumman 17 ' last week. I LIKE BOATS , quality and affordable ones. Everyone here has a different level of affordability. I for one think how Woodson buys his boat is his business, his only mistake was thinking he could ask a finance question without being criticized . I like guns, fishing equipment, boats I have more than a few of each. I paid cash or used a credit card but I don 't owe any money and only have my own income. When my boat is broke or don 't run I just grab a different one and go, fix it later, try that with a woman see what that gets you. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 09/01/21.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by pal

Shut up

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by barnabus
Originally Posted by pal

Shut up

You liberals just don't respect our 1st Amendment rights.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

Shut up

you busy body demon possessed baby killers are always telling people how to live. just shut up and mind your own business.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The earth is 2/3 water, buy yourself a boat, and enjoy the time you get to spend with your family and friends, that being said, I have a friend that has a boat real near to what you have pictured, he wonders why no one will fish with him.

Well that's because he is sitting comfortably behind a windshield, warm and dry, with a steering wheel and a throttle to hold on to, while any one riding beside him is wet cold and trying like hell to find something to hold on to, if you like fishing alone ,go for it but if you plan on fishing with friends and family there are plenty of better options than what you have pictured.

As far as you cheapassed Dave Ramsey fans, why don't you get a better paying job, instead of being such a penny pinching dickweed, no one likes a cheap f~ck !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

Shut up

you busy body demon possessed baby killers are always telling people how to live. just shut up and mind your own business.

I don't take orders from biotches.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hey Woodson you get a boat? Or just a bunch more people on your ignore feature? Mb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 80 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.