Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My choice is hardcast...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Something that some "bear killers" don't know is that a bullet put into the actual heart of a bear will not stop him. A bear's heart rate is slow, slow, slow giving him time to kill you even after you putting a bullet or several into him. A CNS shot is all that will prevent him from killing you. Lots of luck with that when he is charging you!!!!

Of course what you say about a bear having a slow heart beat is true. But when you say that a CNS shot us the only way to keep the bear from killing you, is most certainly not true. Too many instances where body shot saved the day.

Actually the myth of bears heart rates being low came from measuring hibernating bears. They have normal heart rates like about any other critter. They have large O2 storing capacity in the form of myoglobin.

Another myth is how difficult it is to get penetration due to big bones. Quite the contrary, their bones are quite light and flexible.

👍

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not carry a 40 S&W for bear, period.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Another myth is how difficult it is to get penetration due to big bones. Quite the contrary, their bones are quite light and flexible.

I've assumed, (based on followup necropsies where they dug out slugs), that the biggest detriment to penetration is fat. I don't know why, but warm, slimey fat seems to be a good bullet barrier.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dla
You are carrying a 15 shot 40sw for grizzly protection.

The hell I am ...

I'm not even carrying one for black bear protection.

Cougar, sure.

Anyone stupid enough to pack a .40 S&W for bear protection deserves to be eaten.

"Final answer." smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by dla
You are carrying a 15 shot 40sw for grizzly protection.

The hell I am ...

I'm not even carrying one for black bear protection.

Cougar, sure.

Anyone stupid enough to pack a .40 S&W for bear protection deserves to be eaten.

"Final answer." smile

Tom

Phil Shoemaker stopped the attack of a 900 pound grizzly and killed it with a 9mm, so a 40 I would think is an upgrade

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The SWC shape is something to behold when delivered at speed. I've seen it spray confetti during a penetration test with phone books. It was totaly unexpected.

Having said that. Some animals seem to inspire a strong feeling of being under armed. I doubt that any crisis would show a definitive advantage of either or. The person at the trigger, and the actions of the bear will determine the ultimate outcome.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
The SWC shape is something to behold when delivered at speed. I've seen it spray confetti during a penetration test with phone books. It was totaly unexpected.

Having said that. Some animals seem to inspire a strong feeling of being under armed. I doubt that any crisis would show a definitive advantage of either or.
The person at the trigger, and the actions of the bear will determine the ultimate outcome

I noticed that most of the comments drifted away from the question asked - so I think you're absolutely right about the fear of being under armed.

The following is a good compilation of pistol vs bear defense shootings based on cartridge:
handguns vs bears

The article lends credence to your 2nd statement.

Last edited by dla; 08/22/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Given the options I would take the SWC at higher velocity.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,,, FWIW, here is what I've been carrying since about 2003, and it will get-er-done, if I do my part,,,,,, and I have... cool Lj

Attached Images
LJ's S&W 329PD HandGun.jpg (59.97 KB, 347 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Earlyagain

Having said that. Some animals seem to inspire a strong feeling of being under armed. I doubt that any crisis would show a definitive advantage of either or.
The person at the trigger, and the actions of the bear will determine the ultimate outcome

I noticed that most of the comments drifted away from the question asked - so I think you're absolutely right about the fear of being under armed.

The following is a good compilation of pistol vs bear defense shootings based on cartridge:
handguns vs bears

The article lends credence to your 2nd statement.
You should eschew worrying about ballistics or bullets and concentrate on the gun itself. For your purposes, get the one with the dullest front sight so it doesn't tear up your rectum while you're fuc ki ng yourself with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by viking
180’s all day.

I have experienced less flip with the 180’s in my Glocks, 35,23,27. The heavier slugs should penetrate deeper.

Interesting.
The power factor of the 155gr load is 209, the 180gr load is 189 - a measurement of relative momentum. But the sectional density of the 155gr is .138 versus the 180gr's .160 - not sure what the relative penetration would be given the velocity difference. I've never seen this tested.

I wonder if the softer alloy of the 180gr matters much?

Btw, the SD of a 147gr 9mm bullet is .166 - (what Phil used), yet the momentum of that load is only 150, which shows how little work was required to get that bullet deep into his bear.

All broadside shots through the ribs, as I recall.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDGM7QgxuWw

This is an interesting video on several levels and worth the time to view it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MOGC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDGM7QgxuWw

This is an interesting video on several levels and worth the time to view it.

Thanks - that was a good watch.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok,,,,,, FWIW, here is what I've been carrying since about 2003, and it will get-er-done, if I do my part,,,,,, and I have... cool Lj

I like what you did. I'm gonna guess that opening up the throats is what is saving your blast shield.
I don't understand what the 11° forcing cone does with bullet that long. I also don't understand why S&W can't/won't open up the cylinder throats on the titanium cylinders - this is such an old issue.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

If you can put full house bear loads through a 329, you're a far better man than I.

I have a similar weighted Taurus Titanium tracker in 41 mag. I guarantee it will never see my 250 gr loads, and damned few hot 210 gr loads.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by dla

I like what you did. I'm gonna guess that opening up the throats is what is saving your blast shield.
I don't understand what the 11° forcing cone does with bullet that long. I also don't understand why S&W can't/won't open up the cylinder throats on the titanium cylinders - this is such an old issue.

Ok then,,,,, you are correct, the Blast-Shield Area is showing very little if any flame cutting and dis-coloration as before,,,,, and Google-up 11deg Forcing Cone when Shooting Lead Boolits, which is all I Shoot,,,,, and Yes, Opening the Cylinder Throats-Up on that SS Un-Fluted Cylinder also took care of any rounds sticking, on extraction, and as for the Original Titanium Cyl. you couldn't RUN Fast enough to give me another one, and no more cleaning issues either, Hoppe's and my Brass Wire Brush work just fine....... cool Lj....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where I do my woods walking and hunting is southeastern Ohio. Black bear sightings are getting more common, and wild boars are semi common. My normal carry while hiking there is my Glock 27 .40 with a Lone Wolf barrel installed. I load it with Double Tap or Buffalo Bore 200 grain hard cast ammo which is about 950fps from this pistol. Hope I Never have to shoot a bear in self defense. Would love seeing one though.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

If you can put full house bear loads through a 329, you're a far better man than I.

I have a similar weighted Taurus Titanium tracker in 41 mag. I guarantee it will never see my 250 gr loads, and damned few hot 210 gr loads.

Ok then,,,,,,, but just to be clear, I practice a lot, 7-800 rd's/yr. +/-, with .44 spl. loads, and those Cowboy action loads, as well as some standard off the shelf .44Mag loads, and in the 18 +/- yrs that I've been packing and shooting this Gun, I've probably put about 6 Boxes +/- of Buffalo-Bore RR 255gr Keith loads, and about 3, maybe 4 Boxes of 300-320gr Alaska Back-Packer Loads,,,,,, so there you go,,,,, it all comes down to understanding what you've got, and how to use what you've got, and this Gun is still as Tight and Trigger Smooth as 1st purchased...... cool Lj....

Attached Images

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figure either one is better than bear spray. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 626 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,442
Posts18,507,772
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.