Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I hate to be blunt, but Louisiana's residents are morons if they believe that any pump system can pump water into an ocean that has a nine foot storm surge when the land is below sea level. So can someone enlighten me as to where the pumped water actually goes when the ocean is higher than the pumps?

Did any of these people that built this system graduate grammar school?

I VOTED FOR TRUMP TWICE, AND WILL VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Levees

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
New Orleans is hoping that the pumps can stay ahead of the predicted rainfalls for this one.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
New Orleans is hoping that the pumps can stay ahead of the predicted rainfalls for this one.

Not possible because the water has to be pumped into the ocean, which will be causing much of the problem. It's idiocy

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It depends on if the river/lake/ocean level overtops the barriers which keep it out on a day to day basis.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dustyone

Not possible because the water has to be pumped into the ocean, which will be causing much of the problem. It's idiocy

Not to the ocean.

There is idiocy here abouts. Truth.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mathman
It depends on if the river/lake/ocean level overtops the barriers which keep it out on a day to day basis.

The Mississippi River is at a relatively low stage right now.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

That is not even applicable as the storm is far wider than the barriers are long. Height as such is not the only issue. Also when the ocean rises every outflow drainage pipe reverses flow and pipes that carry millions of gallons out in normal situations now become inflow pipes. Saw this firsthand on two other storms.

Last edited by Dustyone; 08/28/21.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dusty needs to think of a four inch high bowl that usually sits in one inch of water in a sink. If water is added to the bowl it can be pumped out over the side. If the water in the sink rises to three inches the bowl can still be pumped out over the side. That's how it works when things don't get too bad.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Dusty needs to think of a four inch high bowl that usually sits in one inch of water in a sink. If water is added to the bowl it can be pumped out over the side. If the water in the sink rises to three inches the bowl can still be pumped out over the side. That's how it works when things don't get too bad.

We shall soon see, the best that can be hoped for is that the storm is not as bad as being forecast. We shall know by tomorrow and Monday, no real need to speculate. The dumb thing is that FEMA will flush more tax money down the drain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's not LA money. It's federal money, OUR money. The feds have spend 14.5 billion building walls and pump systems that they believe will withstand a 30' surge. We'll see.

SEA WALLS

What would it cost to level the city and haul in 30' of dirt to raise it above sea level? It might be cheaper in the long run than rebuilding it every 20 years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I thought they store it in Tupperware bowls til the storm subsided, then dump it back into the ocean.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Dustyone: Day 1 Engineering College drop-out. Majored in Philosophy instead.

And don't ask me to use up my time to put forth a little bit of reason/'splaining for you.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I thought they store it in Tupperware bowls til the storm subsided, then dump it back into the ocean.

Please do not give them any ideas

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

We shall soon see, the best that can be hoped for is that the storm is not as bad as being forecast. We shall know by tomorrow and Monday, no real need to speculate. The dumb thing is that FEMA will flush more tax money down the drain

Your concern is appreciated.
Thanks.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Thanks.

This is a big wonderful country, from sea to shining sea, amber waves of grain and the rocky mountain highs. Anyone who chooses to live below sea level deserves to drown, and many will tomorrow

Last edited by Dustyone; 08/28/21.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Thanks.

This is a big wonderful country, from sea to shining sea, amber waves of grain and the rocky mountain highs. Anyone who chooses to live below sea level deserves to drown

Yeah.
Thanks again.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Thanks.

This is a big wonderful country, from sea to shining sea, amber waves of grain and the rocky mountain highs. Anyone who chooses to live below sea level deserves to drown

Yeah.
Thanks again.

What exactly is the sense of boarding up windows, as if the windows are not broken out this just means that the water takes longer to flow out of the house?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They’ll blame it on Trump, any takers? I’ll put up ten packs of Peanut M&M’s

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My question is why does the whole country keep bailing out people who insist on living in a bowl under sea level in a hurricane corridor?

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (160user, 264mag, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,676
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.