Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 39 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 38 39
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just stick with your original statement:

Equal expansion characteristics, equal impact velocity, equal bullet construction, equal impact medium, etc., the heavier bullet will penetrate further than the lighter bullet. It's a pretty simple concept, bullet mass is linearly proportional to momentum, and is also proportional to penetration.

Someone above said this was all theoretical. But for you, it isn't. You've put this into practice. You wrote, "My experience has been that a heavier bullet will do exactly that [penetrate further], assuming all else is equal." Can you post your load data that you used to draw this conclusion, and your testing method? Unless your loads and testing method meet your own criteria, your conclusion is flawed.

It sounds good, it sounds logical, it sounds intuitive. The problem is, actual studies have shown your conclusion is not necessarily the case, even among the same bullets with different weights and minimal velocity differences.

Take the time to read "Shooting Holes in Wounding Theories: The Mechanics of Terminal Ballistics." It's available online. The author writes that his study "should largely lay to rest the off-quoted generalization that heavy for caliber bullets or bullets of some particular sectional density penetrate deeper and retain more mass. All the bullets used were of conventional construction, meaning lead alloy bullets in drawn copper alloy jackets; no bonded cores, partitions or other special constructions." A lot of counterintuitive findings arise. He even goes on to study controlled expansion and controlled weight loss bullets and the findings there aren't all that intuitive, either. For instance, a 165gr Nosler Partition fired from a .30-06 penetrated deeper than a 180 gr Nosler Partition fired from the same gun, with scarcely a 100fps difference in velocity. That's a realistic comparison. Similar unexpected results arise among other cartridges.

If one were able to conduct testing within the extremely narrow parameters you've set, I suspect you'd me more right than wrong. But given the sheer number of bullet designs out there, I have no doubt a lot of unexpected results would arise.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/29/21.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
You boys keep talking about the size of your wieners and I will steal the pussy out from under your noses!!

Please, you won't get the chance. Those blunts and round balls you're shooting are so inefficient, one will likely fly backwards and hit you in the forehead.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
The 8 requirements are so that like temperature stable powders are used, same length barrels, similar construction hunting bullets are used because we are talking about hunting not punching holes in paper and sighting them in both at 3" high at 100 yards which one does to get a good 300 yard trajectory that can be used out to 350 yards by holding on the backbone of a deer sized animal. In a previous post you said how the 6.5 CM was better than the .270 because the long high b.c. bullets allowed better shot placement. I have shown you that you are are not correct because the .270 has a much better maximum point blank range as well as less wind drift (often) with the newer good b.c. medium weight projectiles in .270, up to normal hunting distances, say 350 yards. Furthermore the .270 has 10% better cross-sectional area for a larger wound channel. Why don't you have enough integrity to acknowledge that this is correct?

All you have shown is that in your contrived scenario, your .270 has certain advantages. I, however, do not share all 8 of your constraints. I hunt regularly and successfully with the 147 ELD-M, despite your pre-conceived notions, and the .270 Win has no bullet analogue for comparison. Further, a PBR of 250-300 meters is plenty for me, since I'm dialing if distance is beyond that. I occasionally get shots at game well beyond your 350 yard limitation, so my set of criteria differs from yours there, too. Finally, by pushing the 147 ELD to ~2700 fps, which is what I actually get in several 6.5 CM rifles (yes, using temp-stable powders, as a matter of fact), it recoils less than the .270 and drifts less in the wind, both of which lend to better shot placement.

Clearly you're entrenched in your position, regardless of the facts, and this back-and-forth is becoming tedious, so I'll just say that if the .270 Win suits your needs and uses, then I'm happy for you. I have no problems with the .270, but when I'm looking for ballistic advantage I lean to other chamberings.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jordan, on page 19 in reference to the 147 ELD in your 6.5 CM you stated "MV stated to be 2567 fps". Now in the above post you are saying its 2700 fps. The discussion was using similar barrel lengths of 24" in the .270 and 6.5 CM so a comparison could be made. Which is the correct muzzle velocity you are getting, is it 2567 fps or 2700 fps? And with the 2700 fps what powder are you using in that 24" barrel that is temperature stable to get that and what amount of powder?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slm9s

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

140 Tipper at the prescribed 3030fps,if only for oblivious humor. Hint.

Thank you for educating everyone how the 270 has a better max PBR than the Creed with a much worse bullet. That is much more valuable to readers of the Hunting Rifles forum than POA/POI at 1100+. HA!

Fascinating take away,but "max PBR" is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What it correlates,is that despite the "benefits" of a Long Action and much greater case capacity and a muzzle velocity headstart,is that due BC alone,the itty-bitty 250 case slaps the 27-06 silly. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. Fhuqking laughing!

Pardon the itty-bitty 250 case simply chooglin' along,with a full head of steam,as the 27-06 sets on the sidelines literally blowin' in the breeze. What scope are you "shooting" on your Imaginary Pretend 270,which has "max PBR" imprinted betwixt your crossed-eyes? Do tell. Hint. Fhuqking laughing!

Stings,don't it? Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL! two 270's here, one a pre-64 feather weight with gloss 2-7 leupold saddled in weavers, the other is a standard rifle now wearing a 2.5-8 leupold in dual dovetail bases and rings, seems grandson left rifle leaning on the pickup tire, proceeded to drive off after a range session and broke the factory walnut stock, Gramps paid someone to build a beautiful stock in English walnut, complete with checkered skeleton butt and grip cap, wrap around checkering and ironwood tip, holy damn, whoever built it did a wonderful job i bought the rifle for the stock, 15 bills cash, imho that wouldn't buy the stock.

Both rifles shoot the same load, 150gr Partitions.

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[quote=jwall]W/O exception ?

Hardly.

Jerry

Jerry,

With all due respect, I think you're missing my point. In the real world do heavier bullets always penetrate further than lighter ones? Well, no. There are many variables that affect penetration, and sometimes variables other than bullet mass dominate in the penetration outcome (expanded frontal surface area, for example).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Honestly Jordan I don't think I missed your point. "all things being equal" doesn't happen as often as WE'D like.
I am also NOT nitpicking. 10 G quoted you saying something along this line.
"heavier bullets (in the same cal/cartridge) WILL ALWAYS do that. (penetrate further)

That's why I said w/o exception, hardly. I understand "general rules" and that's the reason I gave that 1 example of
exception of bullet path, penetration, etc. that was NOT expected.

We have 'seen' and read about Nos Partition bullets that did NOT perform in the 'general' way. IF NPs can NOT perform
the SAME way every time..... we know many other things are NOT ALWAYS equal.

I agree with you 'in general'. I understand BC and SD <even tho some discredit SD as being useless>
It is a numerical value that's used to COMPARE one bullet to another bullet ****NOT the actual penetrating performance
that we CAN expect.

My only point 'here' was/is exceptions happen frequently.

No Harm No Foul

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lapua6547

"F & S", now there's a source of ballistical fact. smirk crazy

The Kool Ade has made the rounds. frown

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Originally Posted by jwall

"F & S", now there's a source of ballistical fact. smirk crazy

The Kool Ade has made the rounds. frown

Jerry

Hahahah just stirring the pot ole buddy!

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O

Just did a quick read, about "long range ballistics". Find it interesting that the 27 Nosler, with the second flattest trajectory of the group, does not even make the Top 10 list. Only managed to snag the last spot on the "Honorable Mentions". Hmmm...

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Just did a quick read, about "long range ballistics". Find it interesting that the 27 Nosler, with the second flattest trajectory of the group, does not even make the Top 10 list. Only managed to snag the last spot on the "Honorable Mentions". Hmmm...

Not on the 6.5 Creedmoor payroll

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
The .270 is a good " Old Timers" caliber.

Technology has surpassed it. Still kills. Mediocre at best in today's world 🌎

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Well. Guess I know where I shake out in the grand scheme of things. 😂

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

-----------------------------

Could we call that, dare I say, CONTRADICTORY ? HOW could that POSSIBLY be accurate ?

AND I ain't ashamed to say "I AM an Old TIMER". I've earned the right.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Well. Guess I know where I shake out in the grand scheme of things. 😂

At least you are aware of your standing!

Some refuse to submit to reality.....

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
And data....

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
The .270 was "King" for a while. It lost its throne some time ago.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And data SKEWED....

There, I fixed it for ya. wink

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 08/29/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Originally Posted by jwall
And data SKEWED....

There, I fixed it for ya. wink

Jerry

Only because you don't want to believe it!

🙂🙂🙂👍👍👍🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲

Page 22 of 39 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (22250rem, 3040Krag, 12344mag, 270cowboy, 1beaver_shooter, 348srfun, 49 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,131
Posts18,523,127
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.