-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great picture and buck. How many points did you have to hunt that area?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Great picture and buck. How many points did you have to hunt that area?

I hate to admit it, but I drew it with zero points in the random draw, just damn lucky.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got this buck Saturday morning, he ain't a booner but was the biggest I could find.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WL205
Got this buck Saturday morning, he ain't a booner but was the biggest I could find.
[Linked Image]

Looks good to me! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by WL205
[Linked Image]

Looks good to me! smile

+1 Good looking buck!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Shot a doe and a buck on the 29th out of Douglas Wyoming but couldn't get the doe to post cuz of size I guess?? Anyway I had a great trip.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Skankhunt42; 10/03/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Opening day for rifle antelope here in SD.. didn t get a Any antelope tag but picked up a dbl doe tag on 2nd choice. First place I glassed this morning the antelope were off the property on private. So.i drove the.road to check.out another place that I hunt. Spotted three, drove down the road to a drainage and pulled off in to the ditch. Made a quick stalk closing to 140 yds or so 1 shot with a Ruger predator in 6mm rem with 95 bt's bang flop. The other 2 went behind the ridge ran down the draw and came back up the near side and stopped at 250 I waited till I got a full broadside and dbl lunged her she ran about 50-70 yds and piled up. DEAd and down by 9:00AM on opening day. Meats meat worked for me. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

the boss' wife. 300wsm

the boss' daughter. 6.5 creed

the girls bad-ass marine boyfriend. used my prc

the kid that works summers for me. savage 6.5 creed. I didn't have to guide him...

Last edited by huntsman22; 10/03/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Godogs - congrats that is a nice looking buck. And will be good eating for sure!!

If you don't mind sharing what bullet did you use?? I shot mine with a 120 BT out of my 7MM-08, and it did do a number on that antelope, a little more damage than I wanted since I really like eating antelopes:)

I shot him with my 1957 model 70, 270 Winchester. I even hate to say this because it will invariably turn into a giant pissing match, but I opened the door so to speak. I was shooting 140 grain VLD's. This model 70 is a particular rifle in that she only likes VLD's. Hates Noslers, Sierra's, TTSX's....despises them. VLD's? under a quarter inch at 100 yards 4 shot groups every time. For the statisticians, who, like me, don't place any validity on a statistical sample of one, I've shot over 50 head with this bullet. I have yet to have one drop right there....I have yet to have a single blood trail and I've lost two nice bucks from it blowing up on the shoulder (video'd). I'm sure the VLD crowd will try their best to flame me and I understand that.....that's how guys play here sometimes. Yet this rifle loves em so I keep giving them a chance.

He's dead. So the logical question to me will be "So how did it fail Mr. Bigshot?" My shot was 300-310 yards, icepicking the lungs. He ran, oh, about one hundred yards or so and did the little "circle and drop" thing with our son videoing it. He then got up and ran a few yards more and fell for good. When we got up to him he was still very much alive. The guide agreed with me that just a few seconds more and he'd be gone. Unfortunately that was not the case. I hate to see an animal suffer and my gun was back at the truck.....got to go back to the truck and finish the job. The guide grabbed his horns first and all hell broke loose. By that time I had gotten back with my rifle. We were looking at the buck saying "I'm not believing this....he's still kicking." I chamber a round and 2-3 minutes later he was still alive, with me then putting him down. I don't like that one bit....I should have immediately put him down but we were just not believing what we were seeing.

Some folks like VLD's and if you do, I'm your biggest fan. Sorry for being so wordy.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That sounds very similar to the largest deer I killed a few years ago while shooting 45-70 Leverevolution ammo. 1st chest shot was at 40 yds, second was up his rearend (same distance) and the last two were point blank. I thought that deer would never die. He only ran about 30 yds in a thick swamp but lived about 25 - 30 minutes after being shot.
Congrats on your kill.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heading to WY for my first Pronghorn hunt this Friday, excited!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Heading to WY for my first Pronghorn hunt this Friday, excited!

Good shiet Huntsman22!! Good luck ChrisAU, this year was my first hunt out that way. I had a ball and I hope you do as well! Definitely different hunting than we do in PA but was a ball. Good luck, hope to see pics!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yesterday afternoon about a mile south of Oklahoma.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice goats, congrats to all! Sorry to hear about the Berger's performance. I've killed 5 bull elk and 1 mule deer buck in the last couple of years with a 7mm RM and 168 Berger's and a 6.5 GAP 4S using 156 Berger's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife and 5 year old son went out and got it done on their own on opening day. 270 yards .308 165 Accubond.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice EdM and Exbiologist! Keep em coming!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I shot him with my 1957 model 70, 270 Winchester. I even hate to say this because it will invariably turn into a giant pissing match, but I opened the door so to speak. I was shooting 140 grain VLD's. This model 70 is a particular rifle in that she only likes VLD's. Hates Noslers, Sierra's, TTSX's....despises them. VLD's? under a quarter inch at 100 yards 4 shot groups every time. For the statisticians, who, like me, don't place any validity on a statistical sample of one, I've shot over 50 head with this bullet. I have yet to have one drop right there....I have yet to have a single blood trail and I've lost two nice bucks from it blowing up on the shoulder (video'd). I'm sure the VLD crowd will try their best to flame me and I understand that.....that's how guys play here sometimes. Yet this rifle loves em so I keep giving them a chance.

He's dead. So the logical question to me will be "So how did it fail Mr. Bigshot?" My shot was 300-310 yards, icepicking the lungs. He ran, oh, about one hundred yards or so and did the little "circle and drop" thing with our son videoing it. He then got up and ran a few yards more and fell for good. When we got up to him he was still very much alive. The guide agreed with me that just a few seconds more and he'd be gone. Unfortunately that was not the case. I hate to see an animal suffer and my gun was back at the truck.....got to go back to the truck and finish the job. The guide grabbed his horns first and all hell broke loose. By that time I had gotten back with my rifle. We were looking at the buck saying "I'm not believing this....he's still kicking." I chamber a round and 2-3 minutes later he was still alive, with me then putting him down. I don't like that one bit....I should have immediately put him down but we were just not believing what we were seeing.

Some folks like VLD's and if you do, I'm your biggest fan. Sorry for being so wordy.....

You and I are on the same page with the bergers. 6.5mms, both 140 VLDs and 135 Classics. 15-20 different animals deer to elk sized and save one 600 yard elk and a 225 yard grizzly, I have yet to see "good" performance....just several "acceptable" and several more BAD.

I had an absolute shïtshow with a bull caribou 5 days ago involving 3 broadside chest shots. First at about 100 yards and two more at less than 50 yards. What a mess and I honestly felt bad watching the damn thing slowly die.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done Ed !!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman

You and I are on the same page with the bergers. 6.5mms, both 140 VLDs and 135 Classics. 15-20 different animals deer to elk sized and save one 600 yard elk and a 225 yard grizzly, I have yet to see "good" performance....just several "acceptable" and several more BAD.

I had an absolute shïtshow with a bull caribou 5 days ago involving 3 broadside chest shots. First at about 100 yards and two more at less than 50 yards. What a mess and I honestly felt bad watching the damn thing slowly die.

Ouch, I'll shy away from VLD's T inman you are the man.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buck from this past Saturday, Oct 2nd. Colorado. 280 Remington, 140 gr nosler solid base, roughly 275 yards.

Attached Images
Antelope 4.jpg (29.34 KB, 364 downloads)
Antelope 1 1 (2).jpg (27.5 KB, 353 downloads)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love that !!

Well done Mrs Exbio !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.