-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Fieldcraft with its 3” mag well in 7-08, for a hand loader, with 180s would be the only other way to go.

Last edited by woodson; 08/31/21.
GB1

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 84Mtn_EER
The creedmoor was designed first and foremost as a target cartridge. It was developed from the 30TC which basically died as soon as it started, but the 30TC has its roots in the 308win. The TC case was utilized due to the straighter case walls to allow for more powder capacity in a shorter package and it utilized a 30 degree shoulder to attain good headspacing and in the process better align the projectile to the bore which helps it be inherently accurate. The 30 degree shoulder also attributes to great brass life.

The original designers of the 6.5 Creedmoor didn't set out to make a dual purpose cartridge but that's exactly what happened. Alot of people realized the accuracy mixed with a great high BC and SD bullet selection made it into a great hunting package.

I personally bought one because I didn't have a short action cartridge that filled this particular niche. I realized quickly that not only was it accurate, it's very forgiving to shoot due to limited recoil, and it has always been easy and pain free to find a very accurate load with just about any bullet. It truly is a joy to load and shoot. It's also a very good option for youth or younger hunters, but it's at home also in the hands of an adult.

To sum it up I'll say this. A creedmoor has similar velocities to other 6.5 offerings, and it won't kill any better than the 6.5x55, or 260rem. It does give you the ability to load longer bullets without crowding the powder column and allows for higher max pressure than the swede. It will do everything the 7mm08 will do and its everything the the 243 wishes it was and will never be. It's not just a fad cartridge because if it was, then you wouldn't see every manufacturer chambering their rifles for it. It's popular for a host of reasons and due to that fact alone, finding brass / bullets won't be an issue (panic buying aside).
Lastly, shooting a creedmoor doesn't make you less of a man, a wuss, or a wimp. You won't grow a man bun if you shoot a creedmoor. It doesn't make you anything but someone enjoying another rifle cartridge.

True enough....you.left out the part about being designed to work through an AR 10 action.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Here's another interesting YouTube video on the Creedmore

https://youtu.be/KP6CX0muJ3Y

IC B2

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by mathman

He's not digging, he's trolling.

Bingo.....

LLC is just a $hit stirring troll, another Larry Root.

You girls shouldn't be so sensitive about your little calibers....

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have plenty of other calibers. The Creed is fun to shoot, will kill the puny deer, pigs, and Aoudads I hunt just fine. Great for ladies and teenagers too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 09/01/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There is an article in the 09/17 edition of American Rifleman on the 6.5 Creedmoor by Joseph Kurtenbach, Managing Editor, that is the best treatment of the 6.5 Creedmoor that I've yet to read.

Since I don't shoot in competition, I've never felt handicapped when hunting with rifles chambered in 260, but I've managed to acculate 17 rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor since 12/14. The first rifle that I purchased in 6.5 Creedmoor is a Vanguard2 that is the most accurate out of the box centerfire rifle with factory ammo that I've yet to own. As much as I like the 260, I would recommend that anyone who is looking at 6.5mm bore rifles go with the 6.5 Creedmoor due to the plethora of excellent factory ammo, a huge contrast to the drought of any 260 factory ammo.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Does he tell.it straight or just blow more smoke up Creedmores arse....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you think wind holds are easier for you than trajectory, just ignore the 6.5 Creedmoor. Trajectory, with any round, is the easier of the two for most mere mortals. I've always thought of the 6.5 Creedmoor as simply a very practical (subjective, I know) round.

As to the assertion that there are a lot of flatter shooting and more potent calibers (sic), well, that is absolutely correct. However, I don't think anybody buys the 6.5 Creedmoor so they can assert they have the flattest shooting or most potent caliber (sic).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one because it does very well within it's limits and does not kick much doing it. I agree with BigSky.

L
LFC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
For a hunting gun there are better calibers....what I took away from the videos I posted were that when comparing the 6.5 Creedmore to other cartridges they tend to compare equal bullet weights giving the 6.5 Creedmore a false advantage.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LFC
For a hunting gun there are better calibers....what I took away from the videos I posted were that when comparing the 6.5 Creedmore to other cartridges they tend to compare equal bullet weights giving the 6.5 Creedmore a false advantage.

When you say “for a hunting gun there are better calibers” really depends on what you are hunting. The average Joe is a deer hunter that is going to take shots at less than 200 yards and for this the Creed is just fine.

Also take a look at the current ammo situation. If you are someone that reloads like myself that has stockpiled components over the years then you are fine, but again for the average person they are shooting factory ammo which is pretty scarce right now. Because of its popularity Creed ammo has been consistently available at reasonable prices, whereas most other calibers are hard to find. Factory ammo also leaves something to be desired as for velocity in the creed but if you hand load is where it can really shine.

I honestly am not sure why I even replied to this thread because no matter what anybody says it seems like the OP is going to try and prove them wrong. I once was also a 6.5 Creed doubter and swore I would never own one, and currently there are now two of them in my safe and it has become one of my favorite cartridges. I guess the moral of the story is to not knock it until you try it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Muffin
I have just acquired one, have not shot it.

Never saw it as a caliber/cartridge that I 'just had to have'

I traded a Stevens 311-410, with a cracked stock for this:[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My friend DD is a self-proclaimed 'quarter-bore whore'

I may keep it just so I can tell him 'my quarter is bigger than his'........... wink

So I've decided to keep it, and not part it out, reserving the right to change my mind.......

It has a wonderful trigger.

Found a couple boxes of Winchester 140grn, on the shelf at WallyWorld, thought $35/box was an OK price.

LGS had a set of RCBS dies.

I have a bunch of Reloader 15/19/22.....

It fills a niche in the 1/4 bore region that I have never filled........

Premium bullets are available so it's good for elk...

It's not a 270 anything....

wink

Hey, Danno, my quarter bore is bigger than yours...................

Last edited by Muffin; 09/02/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't personally see a better cartridge for the average hunter than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Write than down LFC.... "Creedmoor" it'll help with your credibility....

I have a bunch of rifles chambered from .24 - 35 caliber and find the little 6.5 CM to be the sweet spot in the whole line up. Probably the best balanced cartridge of our time. Mild report, little recoil, great ballistics and excellent market support.

You can get just about any configuration you desire, from single shots to AR's. The bolt action platform covers every base from ultra lights to heavy long range beasts.....

Those videos are a joke...slanted perspectives by people with an agenda.

I've done the vast amount of my deer and antelope hunting with the .270...starting back in the 60's. I use my Creedmoor these days because it's just that much more enjoyable and easy to shoot well.

I started elk hunting in 1980 with my .270. Switched to the .338 mag as per my elk hunting mentors. Turned to archery elk for many years and then back to the .270...because it works so well. My last 7 elk have fallen to a single shot apiece from my .260 (2) and now my 6.5 Creedmoor (5) the longest shot was over 250 yards. The others all much closer.

I've never owned a 7 mag. Never saw the need when the .270 provided all I needed, with less muzzle blast and recoil in a lighter handier platform... if I felt I wanted more, I picked up the .338. I don't own any magnum rifles these day because I don't feel the need. If I lived around grizzlies and moose, I'd still own the .338. Not many of those in Tennessee.....

For the new shooter, older shooters or just the average Joe - or the guy that wants to dial and strafe steel at long range, the little 6.5 is really the sweet spot imo.

Try one for a year and get back to us.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have just acquired one, have not shot it.

Never saw it as a caliber/cartridge that I 'just had to have'

I traded a Stevens 311-410, with a cracked stock for this:[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My friend DD is a self-proclaimed 'quarter-bore whore'

I may keep it just so I can tell him 'my quarter is bigger than his'........... wink

So I've decided to keep it, and not part it out, reserving the right to change my mind.......

It has a wonderful trigger.

Found a couple boxes of Winchester 140grn, on the shelf at WallyWorld, thought $35/box was an OK price.

LGS had a set of RCBS dies.

I have a bunch of Reloader 15/19/22.....

It fills a niche in the 1/4 bore region that I have never filled........

Premium bullets are available so it's good for elk...

It's not a 270 anything....

wink

Hey, Danno, my quarter bore is bigger than yours...................

-sniff- Which one of my 1/4 bores are you talkin’ about?

And yours ain’t a 1/4 bore. Don’t be jealous. grin

Last edited by DigitalDan; 09/02/21.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.