Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
A close fraternity brother of mine was a Warrant Officer and a Huey/ Loach (sp?) driver. Some good stories.

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/30/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My department had quite a few over the years. They could fly the chit out of those things. One flew himself from Fire Camp 9 to Northridge Community Hospital having a heart attack. Crazy bass turd.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
"Dust Off" for those too young to know were the unarmed medevac helicopters. No matter how hot the firefight, no matter how intense the ground fire, if you had wounded on the ground, a Dust Off pilot would swoop in and get them out. If there were true justice, they would have been awarded the Medal of Honor damn near every day they flew. That is no exaggeration.

Fact.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A dear friend of mind who posts on this site was shot down in Vietnam while in a helicopter late afternoon and suffered a broken leg, he and other soldiers landing in tall grass. He said the smoke from the helicopter was a God send as Charlie looked in vain for the survivors, of the 5 aboard 2 survived. He said it was a very long night with no rifle as he lay still as the enemy searched. At day break when the helicopter’s came roaring over the hill to rescue the soldiers is a scene he will never forget.
Our troops should be revered by all in our great Country, unfortunately all to many have a very rough life that ends early.
They are much admired from this citizen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Get ready for some CCR music

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
"Dust Off" for those too young to know were the unarmed medevac helicopters. No matter how hot the firefight, no matter how intense the ground fire, if you had wounded on the ground, a Dust Off pilot would swoop in and get them out. If there were true justice, they would have been awarded the Medal of Honor damn near every day they flew. That is no exaggeration.

Fact.

Thanks for the kinds words on his behave. He is still living. I have reason to doubt any story I've heard from him. Had to look som history up to see if it could be a few times. Like "operation albino" a short lived experiment of painting medical choppers white. I guess they went out one time only came back with like 200 bullet holes. Also he volunteered to go onto the prisoner rescue mission , some camps failed some were successful , he was part of a successful rescue. Still tears up talking about certain things

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Late in my second tour I happened upon a Dustoff bird parked on a pad adjacent to the hospital at Pleiku AFB. The bird had more holes than I could grasp. Both pilot armor seats were thoroughly perforated and the entire cabin interior was bathed in blood. Mostly 12.7mm holes but there were a few small arms holes. I have no idea how they flew it back or how it turned out for crew or others on board. Absolutely gruesome and amazing.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huey music. Give me a Huey any day. Fixed wings are gay.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have nothing but the greatest admiration for what those guys did. For me. Sometimes to me. And for all the guys like me. But I'd certainly not be sucking air these decades later if it weren't for them.
RB

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Fact.

Respect

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kwg020
Huey music. Give me a Huey any day. Fixed wings are gay.

Got some giggles out of that one.

Chuck Norris is afraid of Hueys.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Partsman
TLee was a door gunner I believe.

Correct. Self-described ‘dope on a rope’.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
The gentleman in the middle of the pic in the article ( Laddie Shaw) was a SEAL in Vietnam. He’s a conservative, legislator who is very pro veteran.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fact.

I've always respected you two. Just turned it up a notch.
Left skid low, and welcome home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm acquainted with a vet who was a medic on those Hueys. Shot down three times and has three purple hearts to show for it.
His unit was the first ones to originate the term Dust Off.

I plan to hear many more stories from him.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I did a lot of trips to FAA sites when I was up there, and we sometimes flew with an ERA helicopter pilot that was in Vietnam. I remember him saying he was shot down on his first mission, but said he must have learned something from it as he made it the rest of his tour without getting shot down again. You could definitely tell who had military training, as on take off, they would barely get off the ground and they would pitch the nose down and you'd swear the blades of the rotor were going to hit the concrete. The ones civilian trained would raise up gently and slowly roll the nose down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Civvie pilots have not learned what "GET THE ****OUT OF HERE" means.

I will tell you this: There are not many Hueys still flying, but there is not a 'Nam vet living whose heart does not instantly beat to the same tempo as a Huey's unique sound the moment one is heard.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There isn't enough medals for those men, then and today. Those Helicopters are sitting ducks coming in and going out and everyone in them is in extreme danger. They are all heroes of a distinct nature.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by driggy
I did a lot of trips to FAA sites when I was up there, and we sometimes flew with an ERA helicopter pilot that was in Vietnam. I remember him saying he was shot down on his first mission, but said he must have learned something from it as he made it the rest of his tour without getting shot down again. You could definitely tell who had military training, as on take off, they would barely get off the ground and they would pitch the nose down and you'd swear the blades of the rotor were going to hit the concrete. The ones civilian trained would raise up gently and slowly roll the nose down.

Bucket full of reasons for such behavior. The Huey grew up in Nam, starting with limited gross weight and power issues often complicated by very high density altitude. Just barely getting skids off the ground maximizes the lift generated in ground effect while transitioning to forward flight. Later on with introduction of the H model things got quite a bit better as you might imagine. 900 vs 1400 SHP makes a difference. At least until 9 grunts climb on when you landed on top of a 3,000’ mountain with temperatures in the near 100* range. So, what ya gonna do?

Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the music!

I am..........disturbed.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 2UP, 21 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.