Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 39 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 38 39
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Teal,

Hell...I was there. Hint.(grin).................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

jsquall,

Your Drooling Delusional Dumbfhuqktitude,certainly do quantify that Jane Average sure as fhuqk ain't very bright...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying,Whining and Trying though.

Stings,don't it? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
It's clear that many posters here don't have a grasp of what causes hits vs. misses at various distances.

Ain't that the truth.

Shooting at say 600y at an elk sized target (let's say 12" round vitals), a cartridge's drop is not even worth talking about.

Absolutely right. Because cartridges don't have "drop." Bullets do.

And windage is where the big case, high BC rifles excel.

I'm not familiar with the concept of "high BC rifles," could you please elaborate? Is there a book or a table somewhere that I can use to look up my rifle's BC?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.270 Ingwe using the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Teal,

I bleed GL3 1141-S,30# PP,2500/3000 Stradic for Steelhead. I've broken GLX's on same,but never a GL3. Hint....................

'pole,

THE key to high BC Rifles,is you really gotta fling 'em and get 'em up in the air. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Might be a Winchester 70 chambered 270 Win with 150NPT's,but probably ain't. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a big fan of the Stradic and PP as well - but they tend to get slapped to a St Croix. Small mouth bass and walleyes.

I'm not serious about steelhead on the stream here so I chase them with a Sage and egg type flies.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen a Sage or 'Croix. Hint.(grin)

I just might have a "few" rods. Hint.

Laughing!.....................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ha! yeah, if I had the opportunity like that - I would too.

Generally happy with the Croix and Sage but they don't get the workout POW would give. Most everyone I know goes Croix for Musky so that's why I picked it up.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of these days I'm gonna fly up there, find an AirBnB and just cast a few days. See what real fish numbers are like.

Me

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I bleed GL3 1141-S,30# PP,2500/3000 Stradic for Steelhead. I've broken GLX's on same,but never a GL3. Hint....................

Anyone else REALLY wish that Shimano would take Stradic production back to Japan? The Malaysian version doesn't seem as smooth or robust as the earlier Japanese version.

I bought up a fair-few Japanese Stradics laying about hither and yon after trying a Malay version. Alas, I mounted my very last NIB White Japanese Stradic upon a new rod this spring.

I did buy an Exsense several years back and it's magnificent for casting cranks/swim-baits, just wish they were available in 1000-1500 spool sizes for jigs/lindy's.

Last edited by horse1; 08/31/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole

I'm not familiar with the concept of "high BC rifles," could you please elaborate? Is there a book or a table somewhere that I can use to look up my rifle's BC?

You're a blithering moron. That is all.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Teal,

I once saw (3) Salmon in a creek! Hint.(grin)

Fhuqking Reindeer wandered by and ate 'em all.

Laughing!.................

horse',

A WHITE Stradic?!? Hint.(grin)

I've never seen one. Hint.

Laughing!....................

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

If serious- It's okay not to known things- we've all been there.

There's really no such thing as a high BC rifle.

Every bullet has a ballistic coefficient which is a number that describes how aerodynamic that bullet is.

Manufacturers list this number.

Having a bullet that's heavier proportionate to its diameter is usually much more slippery through the air.

For instance - 110 grain 30 cal = low BC
But a 110 grain 6mm will typically have a higher BC, assuming it's designed well.

The reason the 30 cals kinda suck is that you've got to get really really heavy before the bullet is slippery (215-225).

Heavy takes more powder to go fast.
More powder + more heavy = more recoil. Recoil makes it more hard to hit things (even for a chainsaw totin manly man).

Therefore less diameter means more heavy means more slippery means easier to hit with.

The endgame is striking the perfect balance between the slipperiest bullet + the least powder + your willingness to compromise logistics (barrel life, etc) + Being able to go 1800fps at max killing distance.

Unless you actually want to kill things at a mile (if you have to ask, you ain't got tha chops), the answer is probably a heavy 22 cal, or if you're a pussy, a low-powder 6mm.

If you're culturally indoctrinated to shoot big guns, a 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty okay too.

Some good options are 223, 223ai, 223 grendel, 22BR or 22 Creedmoor shooting 75 or 88 ELDMs.

If you think need a 6mm, shoot a 6x45 (which = 270), 6 arc, 6 BR, or 6 Creedmoor with 105 BTHP or 108 ELDM.

Pick the one that has the least powder to go 1800fps at the distance you want to kill large mammals at, and that you have the logistics to accommodate.

Hornady bullets are cheap, so you'll shoot more of them and that means you'll hit more things. Shoot horny bullets.

Shoot match bullets because you can more easily steer them into the target (which is 99% of the equation) and they're designed to kill mammals but manufacturers can't admit it for politics and whatnot.

A 75 ELDM will kill elk at 600 yards easily.

And there's the TLDR of Stick's gospel (which I espouse, myself), with a pinch of form mixed in.

There, I saved you a thousand hours of reading on here and rokslide.

Last edited by CaptArab; 08/31/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those fish pics make my eyes twitch. Damn!

Me

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by CaptArab

The concept is easy enough to understand, except for .270 fangirls. There are rifles chambered in cartridges/bore diameters with sufficiently fast twist that high BC bullets are available. Then there's the incorrectly twisted .270, which cannot stabilize high BC projectiles. Yes, the BC is technically a property of the bullet, but if you choose the wrong rifle there are no high BC bullets you can use.

.270 fangirls are uniformly morons I've noticed. Which explains their choice of rifle laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 08/31/21.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The right bullet....
The right barrel....

Anything can be shot well.

It is the indian...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may not like Big Stick's style, but that whisker biscuit does have decent taste in rods and reels.

My wife says I have too many. I don't even have my Shimano rigs in the picture.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bacon throat, will corky ever see a bull elk?? Haha
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]hosting online images
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Shootin very high bc musket boolits too! 👍 baby wuhan is quite used to record book rosies, hopefully corky break free of the 60” mini deer and kelpfed beach bear?? Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by WTM45
The right bullet....
The right barrel....

Anything can be shot well.

It is the indian...

Yes, all you have to do to make your .270 comparable to 7mm rifles is take off the barrel, replace it with a fast twist barrel, and then since the bullet supply sucks buy bullet swaging and bonding equipment to make the bullet. And then you've still got too small a case with crap shoulder geometry designed for machine gun use. Or you could just buy a 28 Nosler that fits in the exact same guns and have everything right and be done with it.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 08/31/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'm learning here Bob. Which rifles have the highest BCs in your experience?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CaptArab

The concept is easy enough to understand, except for .270 fangirls. There are rifles chambered in cartridges/bore diameters with sufficiently fast twist that high BC bullets are available. Then there's the incorrectly twisted .270, which cannot stabilize high BC projectiles. Yes, the BC is technically a property of the bullet, but if you choose the wrong rifle there are no high BC bullets you can use.

.270 fangirls are uniformly morons I've noticed. Which explains their choice of rifle laugh

Your inability to grasp that the 270 does just fine at all reasonable hunting ranges on a wide variety of game makes you the moron. The gaymoor is just fine for you pussy paper punchers and steel ringers but I will take the higher energy the 270 offers at normal shot distances every time. Continue powdering your pussy.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 31 of 39 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (257 roberts, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 52 invisible), 12,063 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,644
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.