Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
TVC15 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I recently put a red dot scope on my compound bow. It took several sessions to adjust, but I got it.
Who else uses this type of sight? How does it hold up long term? TVC15

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Best kept secret in bowhunting is the Zeiss Z-Point reflex sight. No dreaded peep and no fiber optic pins. The Z-Point is absolutely awesome, especially in low light conditions. Zeiss also sells the Z-Mount for mounting the Z-Point on your bow.

Attached Images
7847-Dsc00252.jpg (58.42 KB, 160 downloads)
Last edited by Moonkryket; 07/09/07.

The older I get................the better I was :-)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
? How do you adjust for different ranges, 20, 30, 40, 50, etc.

Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character. (Winston Wolf - Pulp Fiction)
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Two options:

Zeiss Z-Mount (fixed distance mounting system - Sight in at 30 yards, hold about 3" low at 12 to 20 yards, 2" low at 25 yards, 3" high at 35 yards and, on deer, hold at the top of deer's back at 40 yards.

HHA Sports (go to their website) Red Dot Slider mounting system - Adjustable for all distances from point blank to 60 plus yards using the Zeiss Z-Point.

I prefere the fixed distance mounting system offered by Zeiss for hunting.

Attached Images
7850-Dsc00250.jpg (58.74 KB, 113 downloads)

T
TVC15 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have mine sighted in at 20 yards. I keep my shots at 25 yards or less. I will make adjustments as I go. +- 1" will still killem. TVC15

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
No doubt :-)

L
L
What kind of red dot do you have TVC15? Does any red dot scope work for a bow? Is all i need a rail or are there certain ones that work and dont work? Can i use a crossbow red dot?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You can use a Zeiss Z-Mount or HHA Sports fixed distance red dot scope mount.

You can use a crossbow red dot on one of these mounting systems but the red dot separation won't be calibrated for your bow of course.

The reason I like the Zeiss Z-Point is it's small size, quality and unique patented features other red dto sights just don't have. The Z-Point just snaps on and off any Weaver base. It needs no rings and screws for mounting and can be removed dozens of times without changing POI. It's solar powered with battery backup and uses no rheostat for red dot intensity adjustments.

Some red dot scopes are too large and wide to be able to align the sight with the rest and bowstring on compound bows.

Zeiss also furnishes the best and most comprehensive installation, setup and sight-in instructions. I think others are totally inadequate.

Once you experience what a red dot reflex sight can do for your bowhunting success you probably won't ever go back to peeps and fiber optic pins.

Another sight I like a lot is the Pride Fowler Holo sight. This little jewel is so tiny but works great on the Z-Mount or HHA red dot mounting systems. Like the Z-Point, it is expensive but what's more important than what you see.............or don't see when hunting? :-)

Attached Images
8020-Dsc00252.jpg (58.42 KB, 80 downloads)
Last edited by Moonkryket; 07/30/07.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Moonkryket,
Will the Z-point mount on a Hoyt bow?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Tried a good one; hated it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yes it will work on a Hoyt but will have to be mounted in front of the bow and not behind the sight window as in this photo. It works fine but I like the rear position for several reasons.

Attached Images
8042-Dsc00252.jpg (58.42 KB, 89 downloads)
Last edited by Moonkryket; 08/03/07.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Moonkryket,

can you explain what the reasons are why you like the sight in the rear position? are you happy with the intensity of the dot under all conditions? I used to have a different red dot on a pistol and it washed out in bright sunlight, but have often wondered about the Zeiss for a bow because it looks like a high quality scope. I have the bowtech tribute, is that what yours is? what speed/poundage are you shooting that you have to change holdover & under so much with the one dot. my single pin doesn't require more than about 3 inches total from 15 - 40 yards.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Same situation (3" from 15 to 40 yards. I shoot ACC 360's at 28.5" with 100 grain heads. I like the rear position because it places the sight with the front lens very close to the pivot point of the grip so any torque applied to the grip does not displace the red dot right to left in relation to the arrow rest assuming it's also at the pivot point. The other reason is that the sight is completely protected in this position from briars, brush, etc. although the Z-Point is bullet-proof compared to most fiber optic pins which I've found to be too fragile for my hunting situations. The Z-Point, unlike most cheap "disposable" red dot sights, is built with water clear optics and a patented red dot system that is infinitely adjustable to extreme brightness levels, low and high. I've neve seen a red dot scope with a rheostat control that was dim enough for the last few minutes of shooting. The Zeiss Z-Point can be adjusted down to being barely visible at dark and does not use a rheostat control. It also has other patented features that you can find on the Zeiss website. I shoot BowTech Tributes (60#) with the Z-Point. HHA Sports also makes a red dot mounting system that is adjustable for yardage but it places the Z-Point out in front of the bow and has quite a bit of moving parts on it. I prefer the Zeiss Z-Mount fixed distance mounting system.

Attached Images
8053-Dsc00243.jpg (62.3 KB, 88 downloads)
Last edited by Moonkryket; 08/07/07.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Moonkryket

thanks for the info, that last pic looks like the HHA mount installed backwards? the adjustment knob appears to be out in front of the riser instead of behind unless this is the Zeiss mount which I have never seen but if it is it appears adjustable? I had the adjustable HHA sight with the same looking mount but had the sight ring installed instead of the rail, they also have a fixed one too. I shoot the acc's too with 72#'s draw weight and 85 grain heads but the 3-49's I think at about 305 fps so that would explain the trajectory difference that you mentioned farther up about holding on the deers back at 40 yards but 3" low at 15-20 yards

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You are right. It is a one of a kind prototype. If Zeiss intro's an adjustable distance version it won't be this design. Too many moving parts and not stable enough IMO. You can't just flip the mounting system over "backwards" because the vertical slot has to be radiussed to keep the red dot centered as you move the sight up and down for different distances. If you take a front mount system and flip it over, the radius will be backwards.

305 fps! Cooking!:-) You could get by nicely with a fixed Z-Mount system set at 30 yards. You could probably still have the Z-Point's single dot on the deer's back at 45 yards.

Last edited by Moonkryket; 08/29/07.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,792
Posts18,536,373
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.