Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have more vintage stuff but I still like my custom 10/22s and especially the new t1x. Been picking up some older 22 revolvers and pistols too. I'll snag about every standard, mk1 or mk2 ruger I run across for a good deal too.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got it, thanks. I was focusing on the forend and grip shape and missed the straight bottom line to the toe.

In other news, you gotta quit talking up those Savages! You got me to perusing the Savage website yesterday and then checking prices on gunbroker and some of the big on line dealers; this after I just bought a T1x and a CZ 457 Varmint in the last few weeks.

To the original question, a bit of all three but they mostly take a back seat to handling qualities and accuracy, with accuracy being judged by "enough for the purpose". A plain jane 50's era Remington 510P single shot is a favorite due to it's accuracy combined with nice handling, it's very satisfying to consistently (mostly) hit a 3" ringer at 75 yards with those peep sights from a kneeling position. The fact that it was the cool rifle I wanted but never had when I was 7 years old doesn't hurt, either. A Model 121 pump from 1939 is another one that still shoots pretty tight and is a nice wand in the hand.

As alluded to in the second paragraph, lately I've gone looking for pure accuracy, getting back into rimfire silhouette after a 20+ year absence and seeing if rimfire benchrest might be fun. The Tikka and CZ are certainly capable of putting all shots into the factory class bullseye but actually doing so with a swirling wind is proving somewhat problematic. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It is becoming apparent I should have included nostalgia and accuracy in my original post, but I guess I had tunnel vision when I posted and didn't think that far ahead...

Some great observations so far and I would have a hard time disagreeing with any of it. I have a Remington 40X that I sporterized, a 541S and a 541T and to be honest, I'm not sure which one of the three I like best. They are all beautiful and shoot approximately equally in my hands, as do most of the others I own now that the herd has been thinned to get rid of the odd or inaccurate specimens... a few of these will go to the grandkids at some point soon, a few will go to my son and son in laws/daughters, and some will go down the road eventually to fund other projects but I will enjoy all of them as long as possible...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was having trouble finding exactly what I wanted. So, I made my own from a salvaged Stevens Favorite Model of 1915:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Does pretty fair on my 200 yard 6” steel, too:

Shot # 3 of 10 got blown off to parts unknown.

Every day’s an adventure.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Was having trouble finding exactly what I wanted. So, I made my own from a salvaged Stevens Favorite Model of 1915:

Does pretty fair on my 200 yard 6” steel, too:

Shot # 3 of 10 got blown off to parts unknown.

That's pretty cool exchipy. Thanks for sharing..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Where do you hold your rimfire competitions? I've been looking for a place to get involved in some competitions so I can get properly humbled and entertain the crowd with my ineptitude, but haven't found any willing audiences yet...

My club is in Washington, near Cascade Locks. Pm me, maybe we can get together on an upcoming event. I remember you saying some of us Oregon and Washington guys should get together for a shoot. I've been pretty dang busy here lately, but I think we are going to be having a golf ball shoot in the next few weeks. They are a kick in the pants. I use my A17 and almost everyone else uses their souped up and even factory 10-22's. One guy uses his Volquartsen 10-22 magnums (he has 4 of them!!). In that event, you need an accurate and fast rifle. Not just accurate, or you'll get your azz handed to you. I will pull my bolt action 93R17 out if I have to, but don't like doing that: Its a humbling experience for everyone....Just ask the guys that come from places like Douglas ridge and Clark rifles.. With that being said, a "know your limits" shoot may be right up your alley. We do it slightly different though. My club likes head to head competitions. It adds more challenge to it. The way it works is the first guy to shoot all the targets, with no misses, wins. Or, if you shoot and hit 5 and the guy you are shooting against hits 6, he wins. Its pretty easy. One guy has eyes like a damn eagle and uses his Mossberg target rifle with globe front sight. He will shoot up to the 1/2" target on occasion and has actually hit the 1/4" target a few times... Just for chidts and giggles I tried for a smaller target with my new rifle yesterday:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The second shot was a clean miss on my part, but the other 2 (first and third shots) were pretty close. Not bad for a rough bored Savage with irons... The rest of the day were as follows:

That's 4 different kinds of ammo and a new barrel. I think its shooting well enough that I'm going to buy that boyds stock..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like fun. I'll PM you with my info so you can let me know when the next gathering is. My buddy belongs to a small club with range just above Stevenson, WA- is that the one you guys shoot at?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Sounds like fun. I'll PM you with my info so you can let me know when the next gathering is. My buddy belongs to a small club with range just above Stevenson, WA- is that the one you guys shoot at?

Bob

Sounds great Bob. Yes sir, that is the one. We have 250 members approximately, but not all of them shoot in the events.. It's a great little range with covered benches for the pistol range and rifle range. I've posted a lot of pics of that particular clubs range. We have a lot of fun there.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.