Page 36 of 39 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Elks

This is ONLY my 2nd 70 FTWT. My first was a 270 W. It had such a short throat the bullet had to be seated to
the start of secant ogive. The round looked like a bird beak sticking out of the case. Accuracy was good and vel
up to par but the loaded cartridge looked FUNKY.

This is the Swede. In 2011 it was the FIRST one available to me for a reasonable price. I jumped on it.
The grain is not the best but not ugly.

I absolutely LOVE to feel of the pistol grip & fore end .

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This view show a little better the grain it has.
I see a few finger prints I missed but not doing it again.

It's not going anywhere !!

Jerry

Sweet!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yes, elks

I've never had a 24" bll 270 and using ________'s book I got 3150 with 130s.

All my 7 s have had 24" blls and I didn't and don't feel cheated.

My Black Shadow 300 has a 26' bll. BUT I have not rung it out with handloads YET.

Jerry

My M 70 Super Grade has a 24" barrel and with RL-26 and a 150 grain NP it's getting 3070 fps. Maybe next year I can get a oryx tag and I'll try the Super Grade on one. wink

About 15yrs ago a friend and his daughter drew WSMR Oryx tags. Buddy has a 7Rem that he shoots for everything, she'd been shooting a 243Win for everything (deer and pronghorn) and they wanted a bit more for the Oryx. I let her borrow my 270Win shooting 140gn TSX. It was a very deadly combo for Oryx.

Congrats to the young lady! A .270 Win with proper bullets will handle game like oryx, elk, moose, kudu..... etc

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by smokepole

So a .280 AI is not a good choice for a western hunter? Do tell.

As far as adult male shooters and recoil, go to a long range match and see how many of the adult males there are using magnums or 28 Nosler chamberings. Then tell 'em all they're pu**ies for not using magnums. Shouild be a fun time.

The .280 AI is a pretty good round, but doesn't take full use of the action length and provides ballistics less than what you can get in a short action. I can't think of any hunting situation where the 280 AI is preferable to a 7mm WSM (if you want light) or a 28 Nosler (if you want better ballistics).

The recoil aversion at long range matches has to do with trying to spot bullets in flight for wind purposes. It's not relevant for hunting. If the recoil of a real cartridge is what's driven you to the .270, well, that explains that laugh

LOL, nice try bob but I don't own a .270. I do own rifles chambered in both 280 AI and 7WSM though. I prefer the 280. Good brass is much easier to find and it feeds better. And anyone who thinks a short action has a practical advantage over a long action is no doubt an expert at picking pepper out of fly sh*t.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The reasons why J. O'C liked 22" barrels on his .270s were because he was primarily interested in sheep hunting (even though he hunted lots of different species all around the world) and he said that most sheep are shot at close range where the velocity loss made no difference. The second reason was that he said a longer barrel got hung up more on rocky overhangs up in the mountains. The third reason was that he considered that an all up weight of 8 lbs was ideal for a sheep rifle in .270 caliber. To get the weight down to that 8 lbs he would get the stock trimmed down, the barrel profile trimmed down and cut the length down to 22". Now he considered Barbary Sheep to be sheep (when they are actually part way between goat and sheep) and went to Africa to shoot them. I don't know what distance he shot his Barbary Sheep at, but in Western Texas the shots can be quite long like around 350 yds. When comparing the .270 and 7RM, he thought that the 7RM gave no real advantage when used in a 22" barrel over the .270..just more noise and recoil. He thought with a 7RM it was better in a 24" barrel to get an advantage over the .270 in a 22" barrel and that would necessitate a heavier rifle because of both the longer barrel and extra weight needed to tame the recoil.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

As far as adult male shooters and recoil, go to a long range match and see how many of the adult males there are using magnums or 28 Nosler chamberings. Then tell 'em all they're pu**ies for not using magnums. Shouild be a fun time.

The .280 AI is a pretty good round, but doesn't take full use of the action length and provides ballistics less than what you can get in a short action. I can't think of any hunting situation where the 280 AI is preferable to a 7mm WSM (if you want light) or a 28 Nosler (if you want better ballistics).

The recoil aversion at long range matches has to do with trying to spot bullets in flight for wind purposes. It's not relevant for hunting. If the recoil of a real cartridge is what's driven you to the .270, well, that explains that laugh

LOL, nice try bob but I don't own a .270. I do own rifles chambered in both 280 AI and 7WSM though. I prefer the 280. Good brass is much easier to find and it feeds better. And anyone who thinks a short action has a practical advantage over a long action is no doubt an expert at picking pepper out of fly sh*t.
What velocity would you be getting in your .280 AI with 150 and 160s if you have chronographed them?

Last edited by Riflehunter; 09/01/21.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree on the 7 WSM. Great chambering.

But recoil aversion has more to it than just spotting shots. It also has to do with practice and becoming familiar and proficient with the rifle, and less recoil leads to higher round count, which leads to greater proficiency. That proficiency is needed for responsible shots on game at long range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The weight and length advantage can be practical in some applications.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Umpteen pages defending "because that's the way we've always done it". smh At least the pics were nice until they turned to schit.

Last edited by minengr; 09/01/21.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by minengr
Umpteen pages defending "because that's the way we've always done it". smh At least the pics were nice until they turned to schit.

I have pix of 270s & kilt critters but it’s inconvenient to post them now.

I also like the testimony of
Satisfied 270 Win USERS.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

My .280 is a NULA so it's as light as I want it to be.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

What velocity would you be getting in your .280 AI with 150 and 160s if you have chronographed them?

I'm getting 3050 with 150 Ballistic Tips and Scenars, using R-26 and I-7828.

For 160's the most accurate powder in my 2 rifles is H4831sc so that's what I'm using, It's on the slow end of the spectrum but shot placement is more important than velocity, so that's what I'm using. I'm getting just over 2,900 with 160's in both rifles.

If you look at the Nosler data, keep in mind that they use 26" barrels.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
[quote=smokepole]

As in essentially all western hunting applications.

Taking a half inch off the action, bolt, barrel and bottom metal/magazine is not exactly trivial.

Oh, and the WSMs feed just fine. It's interesting that the .270 fangirls are convinced other superior cartridges don't feed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

I'm getting 3050 with 150 Ballistic Tips and Scenars, using R-26 and I-7828.

For 160's the most accurate powder in my 2 rifles is H4831sc so that's what I'm using, It's on the slow end of the spectrum but shot placement is more important than velocity, so that's what I'm using. I'm getting just over 2,900 with 160's in both rifles.

If you look at the Nosler data, keep in mind that they use 26" barrels.
I think that would be just right. Using H4831sc with the 140's in the .270, velocity is just over 3000 fps. Getting the same velocity with the 150's in an improved .280 would be a slight step up for the larger game without adding too much recoil when you use a light rifle. The 160's would also be very good at just over 2900 fps. Would you say there would be roughly a 25 fps loss from the 40 degree shoulder of the Ackley to the 30 degree RCBS (slightly less capacity)?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=smokepole]

Taking a half inch off the action, bolt, barrel and bottom metal/magazine is not exactly trivial.

Oh, and the WSMs feed just fine. It's interesting that the .270 fangirls are convinced other superior cartridges don't feed.
the WSM's will feed ok but they are not as good at feeding as the narrower 17 1/2 to 20 degree shoulder cartridges that are longer with a smaller diameter shoulder. The roughly 4 oz advantage in weight of the short action rifles is more significant in the mountains.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 09/01/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We've found a fangirl - she's a moron on the topic of rifle feeding (WSMs feed fine - full stop) and she's oh so in love with a [bleep] cartridge. Let's give her a hand laugh

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
We've found a fangirl - she's a moron on the topic of rifle feeding (WSMs feed fine - full stop) and she's oh so in love with a [bleep] cartridge. Let's give her a hand laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Llama_Bob]We've found a fangirl - she's a moron on the topic of rifle feeding (WSMs feed fine - full stop) and she's oh so in love with a [bleep] cartridge. Let's give her a hand laugh

Don’t be cruel to
Retards. It’s not nice.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[quote=smokepole]

LOL, nice try bob. Why would you call someone who doesn't own a .270 a "fangirl?"

Because it's all you've got. Feeding issues with WSMs are well-documented. I bought a Remington model 700 WSM at Sportsman's and they have a no return policy. When I took it back and showed the manager how crappy the feeding was, he took it back and gave me a refund, no questions.

Ask Jordan what he uses for 7WSM brass.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[quote=Llama_Bob]We've found a fangirl - she's a moron on the topic of rifle feeding (WSMs feed fine - full stop) and she's oh so in love with a [bleep] cartridge. Let's give her a hand laugh

Don’t be cruel to
Retards. It’s not nice.

Jerry

Sometimes, it's called for.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 36 of 39 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (219DW, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 51 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,625
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.