M
Ramp to leek.
White to red
Yellow to Yucatán.
Scallion to Shallot

They’re [bleep] onions.

Vidalias…
Pssshhaw.

Lest you want a gentle one for eating like an apple - whole, raw.

And then you can pinch your nose and do so. And that damn Vidalia WILL taste just like an apple….

But then, why wouldn’t you just eat a fuggin apple, if that’s what you wanted - sweet, right??

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 09/01/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like to slice onions and wrapped them in Foil and put on the grill. Then eat it with the meat that I am fixings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like the purple onions on hamburgers and in salads. I prefer them to anything called sweet.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My criteria. Vidalia, 10-15's, if neither of those are available, Yellow onions that are super short but fat! Never heard of walla walla onions until this post.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Love 'em.

Grill a slab with some olive oil where you just did a burger or a steak...

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Is there any product with less truth in advertising?

As Drover said, "If you know not, you're just plain ignorant."

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by victoro
"Probably 10-15s"

10-15 means October 15. It's the harvest date,

Actually, Texas 1015 onions get their name from being developed at a Texas A&M research farm located on Texas Farm to Market Road 1015 near Mercedes, Texas.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Henryseale
"Probably 10-15s"

Actually, Texas 1015 onions get their name from being developed at a Texas A&M research farm located on Texas Farm to Market Road 1015 near Mercedes, Texas.

Dang, that's interesting.

Is that the third different explanation on this thread of how they got named?

I thought it might mean they're sweetest if picked by 1015 in the morning grin

Plant variety names are weird sometimes.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Walla Walla sweets, eat them like an apple.

No doubt, I grew up on those things when I was a kid in Idaho. We get them up here occasionally.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Henryseale
"Probably 10-15s"

Dang, that's interesting.

Is that the third different explanation on this thread of how they got named?

I thought it might mean they're sweetest if picked by 1015 in the morning grin

Plant variety names are weird sometimes.

Well, that is what I was told. I have been by that mentioned Texas A&M agriculture research farm several times there on F.M. 1015, so it does exist. Also, those "1015" onions are known to have originated in that area of Texas, just north of the Mexican border. I am reasonably sure that "1015" ain't neither the planting date nor the harvest date as I recently saw some at the grocery store. But, I have been wrong before. Just ask my wife and M-i-L.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Walla walla's are sweet..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Walla Walla sweets, eat them like an apple.

That may be the only thing we agree on..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Vidalias

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
https://specialtyproduce.com/produce/Sweet_Texas_Onions_1015_1503.php

This (and another site of two I looked at) says so named from planting date…mid-October.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Also a site that said they are 10-15 cm.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by ironbender
https://specialtyproduce.com/produce/Sweet_Texas_Onions_1015_1503.php

This (and another site of two I looked at) says so named from planting date…mid-October.

My grandparents lived in south Texas and I remember that when my uncles went deer hunting in November they always brought back 100 lb. bags of 10-15 onions. There was a huge farm between Big Wells (Mom's parents lived there) and Carrizo Springs that grew 10-15 seedlings. Sometimes they brought back 100 lb. bags of oranges/grapefruit too. The delicious Ruby Red grapefruit is the state fruit of Texas.

I may be wrong about bringing the 10-15 onions back during deer season. That was a long time ago.

Last edited by victoro; 09/02/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used to work with the onion growers down in Vidalia, GA.

I picked up a few things during my calls:

Only onions from Vidalia, Georgia can be called Vidalia onions. The name "Vidalia" has become a legal trademark in the industry that blocked other onion growers worldwide from using "Vidalia sweet onions" as a marketing pitch when may have been grown in Peru, for instance, .

The real estate used to grow onions around Vidalia and Lyons is massive. All the operations were large including worldwide corporations that grew produce in other countries.

One of the growers took one of the picked onions up and bit into it like an apple. He said, "this is a sweet one," handed another one to me and told me to take a bite. I don't know what sweet was to him but it sure as hell didn't remind me of an apple. Then he gave me an onion from another bushel and told me to take a bite. I did and it was incredibly strong and sharp in contrast; he said, "that onion is what they call a "hot" onion." They also said the medium to smaller onions were better than the large ones in taste and quality.

If you ever decide to visit the area, bring a bucket of deet, the pecker gnats were thick as clouds. I probably ate a pound of the tiny bastards in all the years I spent down there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1911a1
We have "Noonday Onions" here that are a lot less hot and don't make your eyes water when cutting them. Also have to "10-15" onions from down in the valley that are pretty sweet for a onion.

Yep, they advertise as the 'sweetest onion in the world'. Fantastic onion

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1911a1
We have "Noonday Onions" here that are a lot less hot and don't make your eyes water when cutting them. Also have to "10-15" onions from down in the valley that are pretty sweet for a onion.

Friend of mine used to raise Noonday Sweets on his farm around Noonday. He started planting 10-15's when they came out. He said it wasn't necessarily the variety, but the composition of the soil around Noonday that made them really good. Vidalia and Walla Walla soils are what make their onions great.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Most cooked onions turn sweet and makes the dish much better. Where have you been? lol

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.