-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We were drilling a hole near Winnsboro, La and there was a local guy on the rig. Great hand and funny as all get out. One day his wife and her mother drove up on location and the fellow walked out to talk to them. The women never got out of the truck and he was standing there talking to them and pointing down at the ground. He'd talk and then point, talk then point. This went on for 10 min. or so and finally the women left. Asked the fellow was everything ok and he said it was. Then he went on to explain that the women were fixing to kill a hog and he was explaining to them how and where to shoot the hog. He said the last one they shot, they made a bad shot, the hog broke out of the pen, and it took him a couple of days to get close enough to shoot the hog and kill it. Didn't want to have to go thru that again.

Same fellow worked derricks and Winnsboro, La. back in those days was cotton country, so we would see crop dusters all the time. We were pulling pipe one day and he was up on the board playing like he was an airplane. We pulled up another stand, broke it out, and set it back, but he didn't unlatch it. We looked up and there he was, hanging by the safety harness, about 75' or so up in the air. We slung the air hoist line to him and pulled him back up to the board. When asked about it, he just said, "I crashed". Never bothered him a bit.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hahah

Zwolle Tamales.

Worked with a couple over the years from there.

Strange birds.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bunch of good times too.

You spent enough time with guys, you knew exactly how to push their buttons.

I was rig welder. So if nothing was pressing i could roam around the rig. Fuggin with everyone. Hands be mad as hell. 😂

I built a new metal box once for a Jacobs ladder, they were too cheap to buy a fiberglass replacement.

Roustabouts painted it up and placed were they wanted on deck. I tacked it down.

Had a roustabout named Hotrod. Colored guy. Always lying about something.

I worked with an electrician that was a lot like me. Always stirring up chit.

He got in that box. Closed the lid. I was standing beside it.

Hotrod rounds the corner. Trap is set. 🤪😂. I threw my hard hat down. Looking mad.

He said what’s wrong Ivey ? I said Hotrod. You ain’t gonna believe this. You know this box i built? Yeah... you know that y’all just painted it up nice? Yeah.....

Some sorry mutha fugger has put trash all in it...

He couldn’t stand it. Runs over and flips the lid open.

Out comes the electrician. 😂🤪😂😂😂.

I’ve never seen a colored guys eyes get so big.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hotrod story #2

We were crew changing out of Cameron.

He road back to MS with me. I always would cut through Holmwood and hit the interstate in Iowa.

Quicker but 2 lane roads.

We come through one morning on the cut through road.

Chit you not. Cattle drive. Men on horseback were moving cattle from pasture down the road.

Took a few mins to pass.

To make up time i skint her back. I knew wouldn’t be any troopers in that road.

Forgetting were i was, i hit a raised RR crossing. It was built up higher that the road.

Dukes of hazard style. We jumped it. Come off the ground.

In mid air, in slow motion 😂. Hotrod looks at me, says “chit Ivey, you wouldn’t gonna stop were you?”
Hell nah Hotrod. We headed home.

He was pale white for a little while.

Dave

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
One of our guys was coming from Lafayette down to Venice for his hitch. It was about 3:30 am and he was in New Orleans on the elevated part by the Superdome to cross over the bridge to the West Bank when a naked, badly beaten woman ran out in front of him and he stopped. She was incoherent, yelling and pretty much gone crazy saying a black man had robbed her, beat her and raped her then dumped her out on the road to please help her.

He took her and went down to the Saint Charles exit and found a police cruiser. She told them that he had raped her. They arrested him and booked him in jail in New Orleans. Of course he was a no show at the heliport.

I got a call about noon time from him, in jail, trying to explain what happened. Our company lawyers were in New Orleans and I called them to go see what they could do.

Two lady cops later that evening at the hospital got the woman to tell them what really happened. The lawyer got him out and drove him down to Venice. His truck was impounded.

I told the poor bastard to take a company car and go home and settle his business and he did.

When he came back to work 2 weeks later he caught hell from the guys. If they paged him on the PA system they’d ask, “would the rapist please pick up” or “ladies’ man, pick up “.

No good deed goes unpunished.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
One thing that made laugh. I drove by a dog house one day and under the window someone wrote “kissing Booth”

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Best thread I've read in a while, guys.

Only understood about 2/3 of it, but sounds like home...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by viking
One thing that made laugh. I drove by a dog house one day and under the window someone wrote “kissing Booth”

That made me laugh out loud !!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The holidays could be lonely out there. Esp the ones that had littles ones.

We were in the Bollinger shipyard in Fourchon during Thanksgiving.

Couldnt leave the rig. That was a can of worms.

Talked OIM into letting me, mechanic, and electrician to let us run to Galliano Walmart.

We bought 6 or 8 turkeys, and a turkey frier. Guy from lockport had his wife meets us with another cooker.

Shipyard was closed for Turkey day. Shipyard forman left us a fresh propane bottle on the dock.

3 of us knocked off about 2 that day. Fried turkeys that afternoon for everyone. Galley made all the other fixings.

Good times

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a cook quit while working offshore, so the 1 cook and 2 galley hands were doing the best they could. We were working nights and a work boat showed up and radioed they had a cook for us, but he was drunk. So we lowered the basket and he threw his bag in it, but wouldn't get on. Capt. radioed that he wouldn't ride the basket up, but would swing in on the ropes. Ok! Capt. backed the boat to the ropes, cook grabbed a rope and mistimed the swell. When he pushed off, the boat went down, so he didn't go anywhere. The Capt., seeing the man's feet off the deck, gunned the boat and got it out of the way. The cook fell into the water and the thrust from the boat washed him all the way thru the platform and out the other side. Work boat had to go around and get him. We lowered his bag back down and told the Capt to take him back to shore.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Fun stuff on Drilling rigs. I was a welder so got to know a few of the hands. When ya went to a new rig, the introductions in the dog house were great. On a rig in the Red Desert of Wyoming , they Introduced me to the driller, he had his back to me, said here is Ghost . Damn he turned around and I was looking at the grim reaper. He was 6'2 tall skinny and had long white hair and white beard. The other driller was [bleep]. All I ever heard him called. My neighbor is called Big rig. He is 6'8 in weighs about 350. Not because he is big but he always said he was going to drill on the biggest land rig. He did .

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WildWest
Fun stuff on Drilling rigs. I was a welder so got to know a few of the hands. When ya went to a new rig, the introductions in the dog house were great. On a rig in the Red Desert of Wyoming , they Introduced me to the driller, he had his back to me, said here is Ghost . Damn he turned around and I was looking at the grim reaper. He was 6'2 tall skinny and had long white hair and white beard. The other driller was [bleep]. All I ever heard him called. My neighbor is called Big rig. He is 6'8 in weighs about 350. Not because he is big but he always said he was going to drill on the biggest land rig. He did .

Everyone in the oilfield had or has a nickname.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’m with a Brazos, I don’t understand any of the terminology on this thread, but I can’t stop reading!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Rig crane was used to pluck a helicopter out the water.

Or what was left of it.

Small field chopper. Wind gust caught it was pilot took off. Flipped him backwards. Landed in water.
Pilot made it ok.

talking about choppers,i was sitting on long beach ,on Vancouver \Island , Sedco 135F was drilling offshore, a 206 was flying parts out to the rig . 1 piece was a drill core about 8 " in dia 6 feet long , it slipped out of the strap just as he flew over the beach and it landed in about a foot of water about 50 ft in front of me . Some scrambling from the airport and rigging people, fortunatly nobody was hit as the beach was well used.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
green roustabout came offshore.

first hitch on the rig.

You tell he was nervous. Everyone is the first time.

New guys sleep on top bunk. Couple days into the hitch, just when hid nerves were settling down.

During the night, a water line burst, just happened to be over his bed.

Imagine being a green hand, and being woken up from a dead sleep by water.

Kid grabbed his life jacket, screaming WE'RE SINKING!!

they finally calmed him down.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tell one on myself....

Pushing tools on a land rig in Ok. It was a camp job and we worked 7 n 7. Company we were drilling for had rented 2 crew trailers and a cook trailer. Cooks and galley hands worked just like we did. One of the cooks and his galley hand quit one night. I got on the phone the next day and was raising hell with the company that supplied the trailers and cooks. One man couldn't stay up 24/7, we had to have a cook and galley hand ASAP. Was told there would be one there the next day.

Well that didn't happen, so I was on the phone threatening to run them off, get another company in there, and whoop someones ass if that's what it took. Lady said the boss would be out the next day to see me and please not do anything until I talked to him. Ok.

The next day a car drove up and out got one of the biggest men I had ever seen. He came to my trailer, introduced himself, and said he owned the company that supplied the trailers, and asked if he could see the trailers and talk to the cook. Told him yes. He was gone for a few minutes and then asked me to come to the cook trailer. We sat down with the cook, had a good talk, the big man was polite, cordial, and apologized for the problems. The cook said he would stay, but he needed help, right away. Big man said he would have someone there that day, and he did.

Oh, by the way, the big man was Dusty Rhodes, the wrestler.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WildWest

Which rig.... Penrod or Merco. I was on the Merco rig one time, just visiting. Never did see the Penrod rig.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
"stand of 8” from the board tryin to latch up".

"Saw a derrickhand come down the Geronimo line"

"Geronimo line" and "8 inch." Oil field slang. Since I haven't worked in an oilfield, I don't know what you are talking about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"stand of 8” from the board tryin to latch up".

"Saw a derrickhand come down the Geronimo line"

"Geronimo line" and "8 inch." Oil field slang. Since I haven't worked in an oilfield, I don't know what you are talking about.

Stand of 8"..... 8" drill collars. usually 2 3/16" bore so the stand (3 joints still screwed together) weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 14000 lbs. When you let one of them get out of control, it's not good.

Derrickhand and Geronimo Line.... When tripping pipe, the derrick hand is the one that works up in the air, by himself. There is a safety cable (Gerinmo line) attached to the monkey board and is anchored somewhere away from the rig. Attached to this cable is a safety device that goes around the cable and has a "T" bar to sit on. There is a spring loaded hand brake. If you have to evacuate the board quickly, instead of climbing down the ladder, you set on the T bar, push on the handle and that releases the brake, gravity will take you down the cable. As you near the ground, you pull on the hand brake and you can slow down and/or stop.

This vid shows a Geronimo line in use.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Doing groceries on the Black Sea.
Head Cook got like 3 cases of snickers bars he plans on selling in the Galley.
Bought on the sly with company funds.
Dude had himself some little on the side schit going on.

Not normal grocerie procedure going down elevator frighing safety sensors on it fugged up.
So we got a big ole human chain going from the deck down 4 levels of stairs.
Everyone of all types maritime to drill side.

I'm opening the conex and 1st in the line after landing it.

Ohhhhhhh snickers bars.....
Filled up my pockets with about 12 outta the 1st case.
Bring some up to my crane operators after.
3 empty cases made it to the galley.

Turned into the great snickers bar caper.
Only people that were pizzed about it were the head cook and the guys waaay down the line passing on empty cases of snickers bars.

Bout 2 days later over the PA I'm called up to the OIM and the Captain to give my version of the great snickers bar caper.
The Captain is mad.
The OIM is checking the block mad and keeping the captain stifled.
My whole counterpoint was the head cook selling em in the gallery using company funds.

Next day I run into the OIM on deck

We are both Laughing our azz,s off about it when he asks me to tell him how it really went down.
Then says I got 2 of those candy bars from a pumphand that was in that line also.

👍👍👍😄😄😄😄

Last edited by renegade50; 09/06/21.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,495
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.