Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Was a True Drilling rig in the Red desert of Wyoming.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Gawd...
It would have been awesome to wear jeans and a tshirt off shore like those guys on that land rig in the clip.
Their ppe, helmet , light gloves, eye pro.
Prob reg steel toe boots.

Go up on that deck on the GOM.
Summer
Ocean flat as a mirror.
0 breeze.
Bout 125° with the radiant heat from the metal being baked all around you.
Wearing fire resistant coveralls, new ones not washed a dozen times were the worst.
Always held onto your worn out thread bare ones.
Armoured gloves O dextrity with those things
Armoured boots frankenstien specials
Helmet
Eyepro.

Bout miserable during days.
Waiting for mid hitch crew change to go to nights.
Always end on nights before the bird back to land.

Excellent money.
But you most def earn it.

Last edited by renegade50; 09/06/21.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Watched a little fat company man fall into the reserve pit while trying to straighten plastic on the edge. Had to pull him out with a loader. He lost a boot and his hard hat.

I also watched the same guy (company hand) try and chase a calf off location. He about had it pushed through the fence but the little steer turned and put the run on him. As the rotary table turns… these are the days of our lives.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rene, back in the day, hard hat, blue jeans, socks, underwear, and steel toed boots, was summer work clothes. Rode the elevators to the monkey board and back. Always turn one joint pin up in the v door at relief time.

I forgot the cloth dot gloves

Last edited by Oldman03; 09/06/21.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WildWest
Was a True Drilling rig in the Red desert of Wyoming.

The BarX Road is where I learned why everybody in WY has two spare tires! LOL

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep ,LOL

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I've got a niece and her husband is a driller for some company. We were talking about rigs and he said I wouldn't recognize a modern rig. No derrick man, a machine does it. 90' mouse holes, just about all top drives, power tongs all the time. Bits that last for weeks instead of days.

You’d enjoy watching a little gizmo called “Floor Hand” do its things. Had it on my rig in Brazil drilling in the Campos Basin.

It was strange to drive by a rig working coal bed methane holes around Durango, Colorado and see no one up in the Derrick.

Almost any redundant task can be automated and approximately 70% of all work in the USA is redundant tasks. At the basic level all you need is a Domain Expert, a Programmer and training on the joy sticks. It’s come to drilling’s business full speed. About any top drive rig can be modified very close to being fully automated.

An interesting read on what is coming and already here is “The Future of Work “ by Jeremy Rifkin.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Had a couple of friends that worked oil field in their younger days, lots of fist fights they told me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Drinking doghouse coffee made your scalp tingle.

Biggest bullfrog I've ever seen rode the cement slurry out of a mouse hole that had been abandoned for a long time. Cut off the pumper and went to catch it and it jumped over my head. Sailed about 40 feet in 2 jumps into the pond. Lost champion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drinking doghouse coffee made your scalp tingle.

Back in the day, in our part of the country, most all the old rigs had DC generators. Plug in a AC percolator and it would make coffee, but it burned out the timer. Let it purc until you could 'smell it out the door' was the recipe.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A Audit Team, Man and woman, from our main office showed up at our shore base unannounced to do a security audit on our Oil and gas sales points (The cash registers).

All of that documentation was kept offshore in the control rooms on the platforms where the sales points were located for the government folks (MMS) to see when they arrived unannounced on our platforms, their royalties are 1/6th..

There were 8 platforms with 6 different sales points. We left the shore base on the morning boat that hauls ass and trash mostly and emergency items for the drilling rigs’ needs (4 operating rigs in the field) and seas were up and it was rough. The boat unloads at each platform based on priority. Our presence was low priority.

It took several hours to make all of the platforms and we were bobbing around. Those 2 folks were deathly ill from seasickness and very pale, I think both puked up their azzholes.

When came time for us to board the first platform and the man basket was on deck of the boat, I got on waiting for those two.

The woman said “f’k this scchitt and f’k you too, were going back to dry land” so without looking at any documentation and never boarding any platform we road the boat back to Venice.

She got off the field boat went straight to their rental car and never said ‘Adios’. The man did the same.

3 weeks later the results of the audit arrived in the company mail and all items were marked as being “Stellar “.

My boss was amazed with kudos, etc. as was our Lafayette office saying it was great to know that our cash registers were in such good hands and under praiseworthy stewardship.

After all of that I went in my boss’ office and told him what really happened. That man bout pissed on himself laughing . He told our big honcho the lowdown and he did the same, laughing .

I was asked to write up a “Procedure for How To Prepare For An Audit”. That never got completed.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Rene, back in the day, hard hat, blue jeans, socks, underwear, and steel toed boots, was summer work clothes. Rode the elevators to the monkey board and back. Always turn one joint pin up in the v door at relief time.

I forgot the cloth dot gloves

The armoured gloves were actually pretty nice except for dexterity issues at times.

I gave slumlord a pair long ago.
Cross between some storm trooper and moto cross stuff is the best way I can describe em

Handling cutting tools after casing cutting to direction drill and mag tools to clean out all the metal after pulling out of the hole
Those gloves were worth their weight in gold handling those tools.

I cant imagine using light cloth gloves or even regular leather ones to keep from getting metal splinters in your hands.
Even with the armoured gloves splinters would eventually work thru.
Toss em at end of shift they was so embedded with metal shavings.
Saved alot of cuts from slings also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
A Audit Team, Man and woman, from our main office showed up at our shore base unannounced to do a security audit on our Oil and gas sales points (The cash registers).

All of that documentation was kept offshore in the control rooms on the platforms where the sales points were located for the government folks (MMS) to see when they arrived unannounced on our platforms, their royalties are 1/6th..

There were 8 platforms with 6 different sales points. We left the shore base on the morning boat that hauls ass and trash mostly and emergency items for the drilling rigs’ needs (4 operating rigs in the field) and seas were up and it was rough. The boat unloads at each platform based on priority. Our presence was low priority.

It took several hours to make all of the platforms and we were bobbing around. Those 2 folks were deathly ill from seasickness and very pale, I think both puked up their azzholes.

When came time for us to board the first platform and the man basket was on deck of the boat, I got on waiting for those two.

The woman said “f’k this scchitt and f’k you too, were going back to dry land” so without looking at any documentation and never boarding any platform we road the boat back to Venice.

She got off the field boat went straight to their rental car and never said ‘Adios’. The man did the same.

3 weeks later the results of the audit arrived in the company mail and all items were marked as being “Stellar “.

My boss was amazed with kudos, etc. as was our Lafayette office saying it was great to know that our cash registers were in such good hands and under praiseworthy stewardship.

After all of that I went in my boss’ office and told him what really happened. That man bout pissed on himself laughing . He told our big honcho the lowdown and he did the same, laughing .

I was asked to write up a “Procedure for How To Prepare For An Audit”. That never got completed.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine was offshore Caspian Sea as a construction manager, Kashagan is the project that I was seconded to, also known as cash-a-gan... My office was on a ship and my residence was on a long retired Russian cruise ship, the Schotov. Muster point the second level of the Grande Ballroom. A lot of story of this ships play for Russia during the Cold War... Here it is stuck in the annual freeze. We wore colds suits that we would survive as we bounced off of the ice...

A small one off the island we built from the 'copter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Home. Big O&G projects flat kick azz.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Worked drilling rigs a little during the first Bakken "boomlet," around 1980. One of my two stints was during the winter in northeast Montana, close to NoDak. During winter that's is pretty cold country, even on "nice" days, and the crew often brought canned stuff to eat, which we'd heat up by putting the cans on top of the diesel generator engines.

It was boom times for a year or two, when just about anybody who showed up in the local "employment offices" (meaning the right bars in Sidney) could get hired. A kid with no previous experience got hired as worm, and he was pretty intrigued when guys came back to the doghouse with HOT cans of pork-and-beans, chili, beef stew, etc. One guy explained about the diesel "microwave," and the kid ran out with a can of beans, then came back in the eat his sandwich.

A couple minutes later we heard a good little boom, and yep, he hadn't punched a hole in the top of the can, so it exploded.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by goalie

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Like a little puppy following along behind.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have worked my adult life in the gulf. There are lots of characters, liars, and stories.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Used ta love fall bird migration.
Oil rig stop offs for birds.
Hawks would have a field day coming down outta the derrick.
90 95 miles off shore in the greene canyon coming to hunt the rig weeks at a time.
Find bird heads on the deck all the time.

Death island.....
LOL!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
Used ta love fall bird migration.
Oil rig stop offs for birds.
Hawks would have a field day coming down outta the derrick.
90 95 miles off shore in the greene canyon coming to hunt the rig weeks at a time.
Find bird heads on the deck all the time.

Death island.....
LOL!!!

That would be neat. Raptors are awesome

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who was the falconer guy that used to post raptor videos here?
Those were cool.
A Utah dude I think?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (260Remguy, 300s, 12344mag, 338rcm, 300_savage, 219DW, 50 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,619
Posts18,473,992
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.