Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Sun Valley, ID area is a yuppie, anti-hunting mecca. Many of them are pretty snooty. They also live in an area full of both elk and deer so I've hunted it a lot. I usually don't wear orange simply because it brings on nasty comments. One time we were on a trail and some bikers passed us. One guy asked why we weren't wearing orange. He wasn't just inquiring. He was being an ass. The real question was why wasn't he wearing it. He was wearing a gray jacket and was riding in a horizontal position. He looked a LOT more like a deer than I did. Plus, I had the gun, not him, and I wasn't going to shoot myself.

BYW, in spite of the hikers and bikers, I've brought a lot of elk and deer out of that area. The animals are used to seeing them on the trails and ignore them but they aren't pets. They know what a trail is. As soon as you leave it, the high alert sensors switch on and it's a different game. They're at least as wary and possibly more so than elk in the back country. A couple years ago, we were on one of the hiking trails when my partner spotting a big buck way up on a ridge, at least 1/2 mile away. He'd been up there watching hikers all morning but the instant we put binocs on him, he vanished. He knew the difference.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Sun Valley, ID area is a yuppie, anti-hunting mecca. Many of them are pretty snooty. They also live in an area full of both elk and deer so I've hunted it a lot. I usually don't wear orange simply because it brings on nasty comments. One time we were on a trail and some bikers passed us. One guy asked why we weren't wearing orange. He wasn't just inquiring. He was being an ass. The real question was why wasn't he wearing it. He was wearing a gray jacket and was riding in a horizontal position..[b]G A Y jacket THERE I FIXED IT FOR YA.< ..He looked a LOT more like a deer than I did. Plus, I had the gun, not him, and I wasn't going to shoot myself.

BYW, in spite of the hikers and bikers, I've brought a lot of elk and deer out of that area. The animals are used to seeing them on the trails and ignore them but they aren't pets. They know what a trail is. As soon as you leave it, the high alert sensors switch on and it's a different game. They're at least as wary and possibly more so than elk in the back country. A couple years ago, we were on one of the hiking trails when my partner spotting a big buck way up on a ridge, at least 1/2 mile away. He'd been up there watching hikers all morning but the instant we put binocs on him, he vanished. He knew the difference.

Jerry and I DID that. grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
U
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
I wear camo for birds. Where are these blind 🦃 ?

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I wear camo. Especially for Archery

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JMHO- i never wear any clothing with brown in
the field during a deer season.
Way too many pinheads making sound shots and
hail mary shots for my tastes.
Making absolute sure of your backstop used to
be a hard and fast chiseled in stone rule.
Not any more. It's get your big antlers and get em
posted online ASAP on your farcebook or yoofloob
page

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger99

Couple years ago hunting on top of a drainage with some heavy timber. I saw some light brown moving through the trees.
Put my rifle up in a hurry and it was some dude wearing camo with a tan hat.
Saw him later that evening getting in his rig while on my way back to camp.
Told him I accidentally had his head in my cross hairs due to the his tan hat. Not sure if he was picking up what I was putting down.

Last edited by Dre; 09/07/21.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by shaman

No, I'll take inappropriate humor any old day. In fact, I've willed my body to science, stipulating that my corpse be used for stupid practical jokes by first year med students.

Even now, I have fantasies about my testicle being used in some horrible prank. We can only dream.

You could be the stuff of legend.

Years ago my sister told me of a prank by the med students she hung out with, involving a dead bloke's old feller: one of them would carry the said equipment in his trousers and front up at a crowded pub urinal, shoulder to shoulder, and whip it out. He'd then stumble and drop it into the trough, and pretty much clear the room every time. That donger had quite a social life for a while there.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dre

Couple years ago hunting on top of a drainage with some heavy timber. I saw some light brown moving through the trees.
Told him I accidentally had his head in my cross hairs due to the his tan hat. Not sure if he was picking up what I was putting down.

That's why I carry binos and don't point a gun at anything I can't 100% identify.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dan_oz

You could be the stuff of legend.

Years ago my sister told me of a prank by the med students she hung out with, involving a dead bloke's old feller: one of them would carry the said equipment in his trousers and front up at a crowded pub urinal, shoulder to shoulder, and whip it out. He'd then stumble and drop it into the trough, and pretty much clear the room every time. That donger had quite a social life for a while there.

I regret that I have but one willie to donate to science. I find that story inspirational.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shaman

I regret that I have but one willie to donate to science. I find that story inspirational.

Unlike some of the clowns I have seen posting on these fora, sure as shooting they have two as it isn't possible they could be that silly just playing with one.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by Dre

That's why I carry binos and don't point a gun at anything I can't 100% identify.

I knew that was coming. Perfect hunting angels.
Sometimes you only get one opportunity, and even though I glass a lot. Things happen fast in real life and reading about on line is a different.
The real lesson is not to wear tan hat durring rifle season.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I ever miss an opportunity at a critter because I couldn't get positive ID on what it is before putting my scope on it, I'd be OK with that. There probably has been a few situations in which that was the case over the years, but I think they're really few.
I've been scoped several times, regardless of my hat color. It is not a good way to put me in a good mood.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never felt like camo was necessary, movement being the #1 reason for being seen. However, since most of my hunting these days is out of a climbing stand, I do wear camo on top and typically solid pants, either brown or grey. I used to wear wool from Filson and other but since I discovered KUIU, I wear nothing else. First of all, the clothing is light, no sense dragging a load if you don't have to, the difference is really astounding. On top of that, the pants and jackets are four way stretch and what a difference it makes when climbing or reaching over your head. I could easily sleep in my gear and not be uncomfortable. I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy KUIU or camo, wear what you like, but I can't stand heavy, restrictive clothing anytime and certainly not when I'm hunting. I had a Sleeping Indian wool jacket that was my favorite piece of hunting gear, haven't worn it since I bought KUIU. Tried it on the other day and knew I'd never wear it again, sold it here on the campfire.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I love my blue jeans for hunting. Always have.

Just a little FYI: Cohen found that deer see blue colors best and red colors the worst. Deer can also see greens, yellows and UV light, but they can't differentiate color shades to that extent that humans can. What this means to a hunter is that you should avoid wearing anything blue

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Just a little FYI: Cohen found that deer see blue colors best and red colors the worst. Deer can also see greens, yellows and UV light, but they can't differentiate color shades to that extent that humans can. What this means to a hunter is that you should avoid wearing anything blue

Jeff O, is that you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All those deer I shot wearing blue jeans were just the stupid deer????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a few sets of waterfowl specific high end camo for hunting water or fields in comfort. I also have 3 sets of temp Specific high end camo for bears, deer and elk depending on weather. I don’t have them to be bougie but rather because it’s comfortable, breathable, durable and flexible for long hikes. And I also get a fat ass discount on it so why not.

I also own sets of lightweight cotton camo for spring turkeys.

Don’t need camo for most of what I do but have it because of the technology in it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I have a few sets of waterfowl specific high end camo for hunting water or fields in comfort. I also have 3 sets of temp Specific high end camo for bears, deer and elk depending on weather. I don’t have them to be bougie but rather because it’s comfortable, breathable, durable and flexible for long hikes. And I also get a fat ass discount on it so why not.

I also own sets of lightweight cotton camo for spring turkeys.

Don’t need camo for most of what I do but have it because of the technology in it

^^^^ This, 100%
I'm not buying the fancy camo patern, I'm buying the quality and technology that is put into the clothing.
25-30 years ago it could get miserable compared to today. I can sit through blowing rain, freezing rain and wet snow all day long and be dry and comfortable now.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Jeff O, is that you?

LMAO…That was a classic.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.