Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
One memorable morning in Louisiana near Houma camping out in a tent near the showers sort of campground/trailor park setting. This was in the 70's , Walt and I decided to go there to do some freelance carpenter work after a hurricane. The place was crawling with up to 6 foot long alligators, snakes of many kinds, some big ones too. They actually sprayed for the dam skeeters right in the "camp" ground. There were also feral hogs everywhere but we couldn't hunt them on the property, anywhere else go for it. So I parked at the back of the place and went into the soggy toward the creek. Saw a hog and it was getting to soggy to walk in So I decided to string some Vietnam era mosquito netting. I was sprayed down with off. About 30 minutes after dark the skeeters had covered the netting so thick you couldn't see through the netting with a light well enough to shoot anything. They were humming, thousands of them at the same time, loud. Grabbed my pistol took off out from the netting leaving it to them. I could run like the wind back then and still got more then 30 bites, stinging SOB's. Those were hungry bugs.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds normal to me. Most everyone in Floriduh is a blood donor.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Middle Georgia swampy area near Lake Eufaula on the Chattahoochie river. So humid you could see the moisture in the air, and hear the mosquitos humming. Bug spray wasn't cutting it, even the Thermacell would falter if a slight breeze came up. Been there................

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had a camp in Dulac La. In the marsh.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
worst experience for me was in the U.P., renting a lake house. On the water with a breeze no mosquitoes. Walking down the gravel road away from the water with trees and fields, it was mosquito apocalypse . It was crazy.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Dismal Swamp in Gates Co., NC.

Primeval.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of bugs here. And the biting flies of different brands can be worse than skeeters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fishing for grayling out off of the Denali highway in the early summer can be rough. One time I was out there and it looked like a ground fog had settled in but it was mosquitoes. The sound was as memorable as the sight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center abut what had always been named Mosquito Lagoon. Rightly so.

Back before the Goobermint bought the Cape, settlers there reported mosquitoes so thick they literally could kill a horse from blood loss. When I worked there, I hunted ducks in the public National Seashore, and mosquitoes would cover me so thick they resembled fur. I could wipe them off by the handful and they were so aggressive that no repellent would even faze them.

Interesting Factoid: People with Type O blood are more than three times as attractive to mosquitoes as other blood types. Science isn't sure why, but I can attest to being the #1 skeeter target when with friends. I can be surrounded by them while others go unmolested. I'm O-Negative.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Maine from Mid may to early September.
Anywhere in the woods or around any water.

Add in Black flies, deer flies, moose flies, horse flies.
Grand Mal flying insect schit....

Jungles in Panama aint schit compared to Maine.
4 or 5 skeeters around you.
That aint schit compared to literally 100,s around a peat bog or other water source fishing in Maine.

Only place that comes close I have been is the middle east with common house flies swarming your azz in certain places over their.

Bens 100% deet
Head net.
Light gloves
Sleeves and pants duct taped.
Smoking a cigg, or cigar thru your headnet.

Trout fishing outfit SOP at times in late spring/ summer in the sunkhaze water shed areas growing up in the 70,s and early 80,s.

Another reason I didnt retire up their back in 2008.
Among many others.......

Urban legend is the University of Maine at Orono.
Brought in Black Flies from Canada to play around with in their entomology labs and they got loose.
Old Timers used to say the black flies were hardly ever seen when they was growing up in the 40,s thru the 60,s.

I think it had more to do with the banning of DDT than the UMO urban legend myself....

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Lots of bugs here. And the biting flies of different brands can be worse than skeeters.

Those bastids would sneak up on you and do frontal attacks!

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center abut what had always been named Mosquito Lagoon. Rightly so.

Back before the Goobermint bought the Cape, settlers there reported mosquitoes so thick they literally could kill a horse from blood loss. When I worked there, I hunted ducks in the public National Seashore, and mosquitoes would cover me so thick they resembled fur. I could wipe them off by the handful and they were so aggressive that no repellent would even faze them.

Interesting Factoid: People with Type O blood are more than three times as attractive to mosquitoes as other blood types. Science isn't sure why, but I can attest to being the #1 skeeter target when with friends. I can be surrounded by them while others go unmolested. I'm O-Negative.

I gotta say I know 3 people like that, if they don't snivel too much about it I consider them valuable!

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I live in WI and hunt MI - we have mosquitos that can suck a cow dry of blood in 30 seconds.

Locally - we'll get big balls of bugs so thick that you have to down shift to drive through them.

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Angelina river bottom East Texas. Thought they were going to carry me off. Went back to the truck before I got to the river. BIL showed up and got in the truck. What's a matter ; no ducks, says I. F-em he says. Sometime around 1995 or so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska in August...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by renegade50
Maine from Mid may to early September.
Anywhere in the woods or around any water.

Add in Black flies, deer flies, moose flies, horse flies.
Grand Mal flying insect schit....

Jungles in Panama aint schit compared to Maine.
4 or 5 skeeters around you.
That aint schit compared to literally 100,s around a peat bog or other water source fishing in Maine.

Only place that comes close I have been is the middle east with common house flies swarming your azz in certain places over their.

Bens 100% deet
Head net.
Light gloves
Sleeves and pants duct taped.
Smoking a cigg, or cigar thru your headnet.

Trout fishing outfit SOP at times in late spring/ summer in the sunkhaze water shed areas growing up in the 70,s and early 80,s.

Another reason I didnt retire up their back in 2008.
Among many others.......

Urban legend is the University of Maine at Orono.
Brought in Black Flies from Canada to play around with in their entomology labs and they got loose.
Old Timers used to say the black flies were hardly ever seen when they was growing up in the 40,s thru the 60,s.

I think it had more to do with the banning of DDT than the UMO urban legend myself....

On Okinawa I remember them spraying DDT from the roads on and off base. They made a good cloud, it did keep the skeeters down. Maine never was a destination I had to get to.

Dog I rescued in January

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

[Linked Image from i.redd.it][Linked Image from img.memecdn.com]

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Rice fields around Hockley Texas, beach at Freeport, hate the bastards. We have some at my house at times. Mostly little ankle biters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
mosquitos are just a way of life here

Sam......

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Rice fields around Hockley Texas, beach at Freeport, hate the bastards. We have some at my house at times. Mostly little ankle biters.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.