Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lots of mosquitos in the western mountains when the snow is melting off. I've had hundreds of bites at times.

The Pium flies in the Amazon are worse though. They leave a blood blister with every bite.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rainshot
Angelina river bottom East Texas. Thought they were going to carry me off. Went back to the truck before I got to the river. BIL showed up and got in the truck. What's a matter ; no ducks, says I. F-em he says. Sometime around 1995 or so.

I've been there or pretty close. Hunted in the National forest. Still love the area. I missed a doe and the arrow pinned a huge Black Indigo snake to a tree also in the 70's.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Anaktuvuk Pass near the Brooks Range in the summer time. Not fun.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aransas wildlife refuge bow hunting, could not have any exposed shin or you'd turn black from the skeeters. was up in a tree before sun-up had an explosion coming on had no choice but to drop my draws and let it fly, I got ate up bad, swatted at them and my hand was covered in blood. them f-ckers were all over my balls too.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Used ta drive into camp on the Parent Rd in T32MD to go shooting.

Look in your rearveiw.
Swarms of the biting flies pacing you doing 10 to 20 mph
Some using the bed air pocket for a free ride.
JFC...
Stop.
Mutha fugga,s 100,s of em on ya like cujo on the other side of the windows.
Just waiting for a meal.

Black flies and skeeters not fast enough to follow.

Get out go shooting then the local black flies and skeeters key in on ya.

Went out shooting twice in the late spring early summer 98 .
Shoulda learned my lesson the 1st time.
But I didnt like a dumbazz...
The rest of the 3 yrs up their recruiting in maine

Shooting sessions were from mid sept thru mid april.

Summer was a big no go to be outside in the willi whacks.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Any standing stagnant water anywhere when I was growing up.
Literally 10,s of 1000,s of skeeter larva just below the surface with their little azz,s up in the air at the top.

SMH thinking about now.🤔🥴🥴🥴

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Fall bear hunting up by Red Lake, MN, the skeeters were so bad you couldn't breath without covering your nose and mouth! I wore 2 mesh head coverings at a time and in a week of hunting, went through 9 cans of bug spray! Only relief from them during the day was up on top of a 100 foot fire watch tower. We were tent camping, and at night, the sounds of the gazillions of them drowned out my tenitus! Lol! While up on stand at our bait sites, it was really a challenge to minimize movement. I would soak down with bug spray knowing the bear would smell it, but figured that was better than flailing around. Sites were getting hit, just nothing during hunting hours. I figured I had about a "Keith Richards" equivalent transfusion that week!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by KFWA
worst experience for me was in the U.P., renting a lake house. On the water with a breeze no mosquitoes. Walking down the gravel road away from the water with trees and fields, it was mosquito apocalypse . It was crazy.

Yeah last yea em during lockdown I took my daughter to the UP to hike the Pictured Rocks section of the North Country Trail. We left our home as soon as I got home from work and arrived quite late, setting up our tent in a NF site. When we awoke the leeward side of the mesh was literally carpeted solidly with skeeters.

We walked a couple miles and ate them as we breathed. Turned back when we discovers that stable flies (small horse flies kinda?) we’re equally think on the beach, and we’d have no respite from the bug apocalypse.

The other place I’ve experienced this was on Hunting Island in SC. They were just as thick as those in UP but it was warmer and sunnier so bug dope & netting wasn’t an option at all.

They’re a normal part of life for anyone who lives the outdoors, but there are def places that can be a whole lot worse than others!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of memory, born loser type thing

Crusher rig was coming to the junkyard. I’d been going to this place for a few years. That summer the old man was going to sell. So he went around to each and busted the windshields in with a driveshaft or whatever he could grab.

He said let all the cars fill up with water so they’d weigh more 👍😎

He told me for $25 I have anything I wanted off of a 70 Road Runner. I said cool, dont chick a driveshaft through it lol.

Me and bud went down into the woodsy part of yard and was working piano wire back and forth to cut the gaskets on the front and back window glass.

Had to stop every 30 seconds and smash dozens of mosquitoes on everywhere we could see. Repeat, tookl about an hour to get both pieces of glass.

Ate the hell up

Back glass is unusual on a road runner. Kind of looks like a bat wing.

Got it home, laid em out in the yard to clean em up. Mrs Slumird backed over them with my truck

JFC

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Mid 70s north of Fairbanks. Pulling a rear ended out of a wrecked Camaro. Just about didn’t get it the skitters were so bad. Under your glasses and in your nose and ears. Living hell. Edk

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mosquitos are flying hypodermic needles. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
1996 late May, SE Oregon's Lake County, trying to get laid. Hundreds and thousands of the blood thirsty basids! No bueno. Gave up by mutual agreement after about 50 bites each.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the swamps south east of bossier city louisiana come to mind. tried camping in pup tents. ended up in the car. go out fishing in the bayou and you couldn't breath without sucking them in. thats when i learned that headnets are a thing. florida panhandle was just about as bad. the worst are black flies in quebec right after the ice comes off the lakes. park the truck and before you get out you can see the clouds. fuggers would climb down in your underwear and bite the schit out of you multiple times. we only did one late spring trip and learned our lesson. went in august after that. still bad but not like may/june.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rental truck quit on the raised portion of I-10 where it crosses the Atchafalaya River basin. We got out and looked under the hood, and BIG black mosquitos with white spots started biting. They were so big you could feel them land! They worked in pairs...one pulled your shirt up while the other bit.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
[quote=slumlord]One of memory, born loser type thing

Crusher rig was coming to the junkyard. I’d been going to this place for a few years. That summer the old man was going to sell. So he went around to each and busted the windshields in with a driveshaft or whatever he could grab.

He said let all the cars fill up with water so they’d weigh more 👍😎

He told me for $25 I have anything I wanted off of a 70 Road Runner. I said cool, dont chick a driveshaft through it lol.

Me and bud went down into the woodsy part of yard and was working piano wire back and forth to cut the gaskets on the front and back window glass.

Had to stop every 30 seconds and smash dozens of mosquitoes on everywhere we could see. Repeat, tookl about an hour to get both pieces of glass.

Ate the hell up

Back glass is unusual on a road runner. Kind of looks like a bat wing.

Got it home, laid em out in the yard to clean em up. Mrs Slumird backed over them with my truck

JFC[/quote

Doesn't have anything to do about mosquitos but in 1975 I drove a cool 70 Roadrunner. Classic Orange/Black stripe paint, White leather interior, 8track in the dash playing Steppenwolf Born to be wild when I bought it. Tweaked the 383 Magnum a bit, cam carb and headers. It was a bit high geared but that was one running SOB! Blew a rear tire going 90 one time, smoothly sailed to a stop and changed the tire. Front drum brakes and all I loved that car.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Camping on the Wis River, I took a battery lantern in the tent to get away from the onslaught . Sounded like rain. Worst night ever.

Last edited by prplbkrr; 09/08/21.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
drrilling rig on west ranch in that dang marsh south of palacious they was so thick you literally couldnt see nothing but a glow from the crown. wore slicker suits duct taped tight on all cuffs and still got tore up

second my dumb as staked my boat on a flat and went chasing redfish in the marsh, tide went out and boat was sitting dry by the time we made it back right at dark. had to lay down in the mud and literally bury ourselves and leave your nose and mouth out to breathe. long night till next tide

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Baileys Campground in Scarborough Maine. Saltwater mosquitoes all day and night. You literally applied repellent in the shower.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Alaska in August...

I will second this! They especially liked it when you had to answer the cal of nature out in the bushes...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeL2

[Linked Image from i.redd.it][Linked Image from img.memecdn.com]

I won't ever talk about how bad mosquitoes are again

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 8 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.