Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Saturday is opening day in SC and my buddy was drawn for a tag. We’re going out at noon, when it opens, and staying into the night if necessary. Anybody with any real-life experience to share?

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What area did your buddy draw?
GreggH

C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by GreggH
What area did your buddy draw?
GreggH

I don’t know, around here I assume. Charleston area.)

Last edited by cra1948; 09/08/21. Reason: add

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Did the Lottery thing for 5 years with some friends. We all got gators and had a great time. We would not put in until last light and hunt all night. The small ones come out earlier big ones later just like deer. Moving the boat quietly is huge. Preposition everything so there is no confusion when the time comes. How is he planning on hooking in to the gator?
GreggH

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Go an hour before dark and look for a 10' + gator.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If he has Charleston area go as low as you can in that zone and hunt brackish water creeks and rivers. I have seen dolphins and gators within a few yards of each other.
GreggH

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every day. What do you want to know? I'll start off by letting you know that there isn't much "reality" in Swamp People.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a few big gator hooks. If you don't know where a big gator is get in a boat at night and go find one. Set the hook far enough above the water so a little one or a turtle can't get it. Use about 20 or 30 feet of line. One of the best baits is a road kill squirrel, push the line through the squirrel from butt to mouth with a steel rod. Tie a hook onto the line at the mouth end of the squirrel and pull it back tight against his mouth. Hang the bait using a clothes pin on a low limb to hold it just tight enough so the gator can pull it down. With enough line he should swallow the bait before the line gets tight. Next morning pull the gator to the boat and shoot him in the brain. This way he doesn't sink in the lake and you lose him as he might if you make a shot on a free swimming gator with a very small brain.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings
Get a few big gator hooks. If you don't know where a big gator is get in a boat at night and go find one. Set the hook far enough above the water so a little one or a turtle can't get it. Use about 20 or 30 feet of line. One of the best baits is a road kill squirrel, push the line through the squirrel from butt to mouth with a steel rod. Tie a hook onto the line at the mouth end of the squirrel and pull it back tight against his mouth. Hang the bait using a clothes pin on a low limb to hold it just tight enough so the gator can pull it down. With enough line he should swallow the bait before the line gets tight. Next morning pull the gator to the boat and shoot him in the brain. This way he doesn't sink in the lake and you lose him as he might if you make a shot on a free swimming gator with a very small brain.

This man knows what he's talking about.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hastings we are not allowed to do that in SC. The gator has to be hooked via rod, harpooned, or shot with bow/crossbow. Once he is secure along side of the boat he can be shot or a bang stick. I always hooked mine with a rod and once to the boat a 22 pistol was used to keep down bone splatter.
GreggH

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Did a gator “hunt” while in NOLA for a conference. Just like Hasting said, only they used chicken. Wasn’t much thrill to it.

Got a 10 footer. Wanted to knife it instead of shoot it but the guide wouldn’t let me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Did a gator “hunt” while in NOLA for a conference. Just like Hasting said, only they used chicken. Wasn’t much thrill to it.

Got a 10 footer. Wanted to knife it instead of shoot it but the guide wouldn’t let me.

Smart guide. They don't kill easy, except for that tiny little brain.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The knife thing would not have gone well. It can take a minute for them to realize they are dead. After a cheap thrill moment on one trip we never boated another one without taping their mouths shut.

GreggH

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A little late to start this year, but going put out lines tomorrow, have 62 tags.

I fish with lines and bait, mostly chicken.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hastings we are not allowed to do that in SC. The gator has to be hooked via rod, harpooned, or shot with bow/crossbow. Once he is secure along side of the boat he can be shot or a bang stick. I always hooked mine with a rod and once to the boat a 22 pistol was used to keep down bone splatter. GreggH
I took a look at the SC alligator regulations on the SCDNR website. You are pretty limited. It says no bait, no shooting of free swimming or basking alligators. It didn't give an exception for archery on the web site. I'm not sure how you luck up and get one if you can't shoot or use bait. I have used a rope or catch pole and caught a good many out of people's yards or even parking areas. A big gator isn't much problem out of the water. But a hunter might have a hard time finding one jammed up on dry ground away from the water. Good luck.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Hastings

This man knows what he's talking about.

Not allowed in SC. You have to harpoon, fish arrow, snare, or snag with heavy tackle and can’t shoot them until you’ve got them under control. No shooting free swimming gators, not even allowed to have a rifle in the boat…large caliber handgun or bang stick only. Should be exciting.

C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
If he has Charleston area go as low as you can in that zone and hunt brackish water creeks and rivers. I have seen dolphins and gators within a few yards of each other.
GreggH

I’ve seen some pretty good sized ones out in the daytime here. A couple I’d consider monsters on the Ashley River and nearby ponds. I’m thinking we’re not going to be so focused on setting a record as just getting a legal gator. I hope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Appalachian dude here.

That schidt is out of my element,
and them thing give me the creeps.

Mike, what did you use to put the big hole in their heads?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you know where some nice ones are I would still try them at night as they are easier to get in range. Good luck with the hunt! After taking a few seasons off I have started putting in for tags again.
GreggH

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Appalachian dude here.

That schidt is out of my element,
and them thing give me the creeps.

Mike, what did you use to put the big hole in their heads?

22 magnum with hard nose bullets at almost point blank range. They flatten out on the skull. Hollow points come apart on impact.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (10Glocks, 35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 11 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,117
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.