Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
For 300 yards and less, the 4x scope used to be the standard.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

That was before deer and elk shrank to the size of chihuahuas, necessitating varmint rifle scopes. At least 18x and a 60 mm objective are minimum requirements.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

That was before deer and elk shrank to the size of chihuahuas, necessitating varmint rifle scopes. At least 18x and a 60 mm objective are minimum requirements.

LOL!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thank you for asking to scope for a certain size critter & particular distance.

So many ask to scope a cartridge. Hard answer those questions without asking more questions.

A nice 2-7 is very versatile. Or the 2.5-8x36 is extremely popular for your intended purpose.

The first Whitetail I killed was with a 2-7 @ 40 yards. The first Mule deer I killed with a rifle was with same 2-7 @ 180

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This pre 64 .308 FWT has worked for me since early 1970 s and still does. Plain old Leupold M8 4 power - first and only scope on the rifle..

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Recent 230 yard shot was the longest ever on Pronghorn - closest was less than 15 yards.

Last edited by crshelton; 09/14/21.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started back in the 1960s with a 4x while I killed game with it once I got my hands on a Weaver V 4.5 (1.5-4.5) you could never get me back in a fixed 4x. The low power vairiable is just so more useful. The top end is the same as the 4x but the bottom end adds so much more in FOV and target acquisition..

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
But if you’re only shooting out to 300 yards with most shots 150 or less, do you ever really need more than a 3-9x40 scope?

No ..... I use one 3-9, three 2.5-8s, one 2-7, one 1.5-5 and one 4x fixed on my BG rifles. Nothing bigger..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LFC
The higher the power the more you wobble....

Yep...

Using 12X makes me shaky as all hell. I'm steady as a rock at 4X.

Can someone explain the physical dynamics of this phenomenon? confused

62 Years ago I shot my first deer and antelope with a K2.5 on top of my Savage 99 243. The deer was running at 100 yards from right to left...rolled it. The antelope was standing at 330 paces...dropped it.

At 12 Y/O I convinced myself I needed much higher power scopes, and I changed out the K2.5 for a K4. wink

Now my favorite scopes are 2-7 and 2.5-8, plenty for any hunter.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Several years back I shot a 2.5-10×56mm Schmitt and Bender on my 7mag bean field gun I can't recall ever turning it up past 6 power for any shot.
On a lighter weight woods gun I like a smaller scope...a 1.5-5 ,or a 1.5'-6.
Either can easily take you to 300 yards and beyond on a deer.

Ask yourself are you looking for a scope to make the shot....or study the animal and make the shot.

I use binoculars to study something. Years ago I had a guy put his scope on me at 150 yards...he later claimed he thought I was a stump sitting on the side of the hill....thank goodness he didn't decide to target practice.

Scopes are made for shooting binoculars are made for looking.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
4x16 variables are the best of all worlds.

Deer rifles are often used as varmint rifles.

I have sold all those lower powered variables I have ever owned, but still have one Leupold 3.5-10 AO, 3x12 Burris signature, and a nice 3x9 Bushnell 3200 with rain guard.

I like to be able to examine the rack on a buck to see if he has broken brow tines.

To each his own.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crshelton

This pre 64 .308 FWT has worked for me since early 1970 s and still does. Plain old Leupold M8 4 power - first and only scope on the rifle..

Recent 230 yard shot was the longest ever on Pronghorn - closest was less than 15 yards.

LIKE the photos!!

cool cool

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
I'm 49 now but have always liked the magnification side of it since I started about 8 years old. In south Louisiana we hunt box stands or ladder stands with shooting rails so a steady shot is 95% of the time. I was always brought up aim small, miss small. 90% of my shots, the deer is either standing still browsing or just a simple walk at 150yrds and it. I currently have a 4x16-56 S&B Polar that I'm running on my Tikka 308 and I'll zoom in on an occasional doe to make a clean head shot to preserve the meat if the shot allows it. Now, especially in hardwoods, you can have too much zoom and the animal can get lost in the background. I think its personal preference.

Hey , what kind of ring mounts are you using for the Polar?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by keith
4x16 variables are the best of all worlds.

I like to be able to examine the rack on a buck to see if he has broken brow tines.

To each his own.

That is a big consideration as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bowmanh
It's hard to beat a good 3-9x for hunting at ranges under 300 yards. You can leave it on 3x and dial the magnification up when needed. Works well in both the thick stuff and in more open country.

That's why the 3-9 was made. Very versatile use of magnification. Again, it's more about shooters preference. As you can see here, you got old dudes loving see through mounts and 4x scopes. Others prefer more magnification. I'm one that prefers more magnification than that. That's where the 3-9x40, 4-12x40, 4.5-14x42, 4-16, 6-18 all come into play.. There's not really a wrong answer..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
It's hard to beat a good 3-9x for hunting at ranges under 300 yards. You can leave it on 3x and dial the magnification up when needed. Works well in both the thick stuff and in more open country.

That's why the 3-9 was made. Very versatile use of magnification. Again, it's more about shooters preference. As you can see here, you got old dudes loving see through mounts and 4x scopes. Others prefer more magnification. I'm one that prefers more magnification than that. That's where the 3-9x40, 4-12x40, 4.5-14x42, 4-16, 6-18 all come into play.. There's not really a wrong answer..

Hauling our old azzesses up some damned big mountains covered with thick mahogany and manzanita is a consideration.
eek

I've gone in my lifetime from K2.5/K4 scopes to 3-9, 4.5-12, and back to compact 2-7 and 3-9 scopes, and from light compact rifles like my vintage 99 FW 243 to magnums to standard rounds (50% of my hunting with a 1936 vintage Mdl 70 '06), to now Kimber Montanas in 325 WSM and 257 Roberts with 2-7s on them.

I never hunted antlers, but I've shot some gi-normous bucks and some dinks. In my lifetime I've never found an acceptable recipe for antler stew.

As bsa said, there is No wrong answer. I'd hate to be fed a plate of few choices.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I know the trend is more, more, more. But if you’re only shooting out to 300 yards with most shots 150 or less, do you ever really need more than a 3-9x40 scope?

4X is sufficient. I actually prefer a 6X40, but they are darned hard to find. I have one, and wish they all were - but at my age the investment doesn't make sense, swapping out the variables up to 3.5-10.

Fixed power has several advantages, and as far as I can see, no disadvantage over variables to the ranges I shoot (500 max),. Getting harder and harder to find straight fixed scopes, any power. Market is not there, apparently.

That said, the longest shot I ever made (well in excess of 500 yards, actual range unknown - pre rangefinder days) was with a steel tubed Weaver 3-9, set on 3X (by mistake). I saw where the first bullet kicked up snow, applied Kentucky windage, and centered the cow caribou through both shoulder blades with the second shot from the 25-06.

I do have an old Leupold 3X scope I have to put on something, but first I need to talk to leupold about it- it was on a 30-30 - I want to be sure it will withstand whatever I put it on- maybe a .243?

Anyone know something about this scope?

Last edited by las; 09/14/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Longest shot I ever attempted (and made) was with a B&L 4000 2.5 - 10 x 42... plenty of scope to see the elk and sight just fine. 300 is a chip shot relatively speaking and a 3-9 or thereabouts should be more than enough to get the job done if you are doing your part and have a good rest.

I would be more concerned about making sure my scope gathered as much light as possible. Shooting at dawn and dusk with some scopes is a dicey situation if your scope won't pull in as much light as possible- which means in most cases modern scopes with modern coatings...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I know the trend is more, more, more. But if you’re only shooting out to 300 yards with most shots 150 or less, do you ever really need more than a 3-9x40 scope?

No. However ... I'm a Leupold fan and I like their B&C or VH crosshair setups. I don't believe those are available from the factory anymore in anything "below" a 4.5-14X. You might find 'em on a used 2.5-8X, 3-9X, or 4-12X, but not a new scope.

I have a 2.5-8X B&C on my Kimber .308. The drop didn't track with Leupold's sight in suggestions but when I put the main crosshair dead on at 100 yards, the first crossbar at 8X hits dead on at 200 and the second crossbar is dead on at 300. I prefer that to twisting knobs.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite scopes are in the 2.5 to 9 power range. I have many others with higher magnification. I guess it just comes down to whatever trips my trigger on any given day. I too grew up in the era of "well the fixed 4 power or the 3-9 power worked for us for years". However, I just don't seem to remember having the options in the 70s and 80s that we do today. I speculate that if we did, we would have had the same distribution of different magnification ranges and objective sizes among hunters and shooters that we do today.

To answer the question posited by the OP in his op, "no, however, some do".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may turn it up to check the shot. The deers rack or obstructions. Nearly always I'll turn it down because I don't need to see a hair to hit him in the bread basket. I want that field of view for follow up shots.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (325wsm1, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.