-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Years ago I showed up at deer camp one year with a box of them for my 30-06. My grandfather all but threw them in the outhouse. Claimed they were the worst bullet ever made and "just poked pencil holes in deer". He and his pards apparently had some bad experiences back in the 40s-50s. Worked fine for me on a few MI bucks.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 170 gr. silvertip was my favorite .30-30 load for years. Killed a lot of deer with it. Always gave good performance.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some of the conflicting results can be the fact that there were 2 original silvertips. The originals starting being produced from the 1930's is completely different than modern silvertips. Original silvertips had a hard Nickle silver cap that extended all the way to the base. These bullets had a reputation as being hard and giving deep pentation. These bullets have a bight silver appearance. The newer bullets have a very thin aluminum cap that extends just enough to get the nose of the bullet jacket to crimp around it. These are the blow up bullets of such renown. I saw one blow up on the ribs of a distant elk. In the archive of the International Ammunition forum is sectioned bullets of both types. Check it out and the difference are apparent.

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 09/13/21.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
The originals starting being produced from the 1930's is completely different than modern silvertips. Original silvertips had a hard Nickle silver cap that extended all the way to the base. These bullets had a reputation as being hard and giving deep pentation.

This makes what my grandfather talked about make sense then..

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of the conflicting results can be the fact that there were 2 original silvertips. The originals starting being produced from the 1930's is completely different than modern silvertips. Original silvertips had a hard Nickle silver cap that extended all the way to the base. These bullets had a reputation as being hard and giving deep pentation. These bullets have a bight silver appearance. The newer bullets have a very thin aluminum cap that extends just enough to get the nose of the bullet jacket to crimp around it. These are the blow up bullets of such renown. I saw one blow up on the ribs of a distant elk. In the archive of the International Ammunition forum is sectioned bullets of both types. Check it out and the difference are apparent.

Do you happen to know the time frame as to when the change in construction was made? thanks

Also makes one wonder if the touted 130/270 bullets with the aluminum caps were somehow designed differently.

Last edited by southtexas; 09/13/21.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by southtexas

Do you happen to know the time frame as to when the change in construction was made? thanks

Also makes one wonder if the touted 130/270 bullets with the aluminum caps were somehow designed differently.

The change over was never published anywhere I have seen. I have researched this quite often over the years. My best guess is around the mid fifties. I feel the uncommon calibers were still available till stock on hand was used up. I researched by checking old ammo still in original boxes. I have some 250 Savages in yellow boxes that have the old style and yellow boxes with newer style bullets. Yellow boxes were produced from 1957 till @1970 IIRC. Remington Cor-Lokt are easier to determine the change over from a slightly controlled expansion bullet to a standard cup and core. This happened in the mid 60's. Again I would assume the popular calibers and weights were the first to get the change over with the less common remaining till old stocks were used up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one blow up on the left front shoulder of a 8 point Michigan whitetail at 50 yards. Fired from a 1899 Savage in 303 Savage. Made a big mess of the front shoulder, no penetration. Last Silvertip I used on deer. Started Handloading after that, excellent results with 150 grain Hornady round nose out of the same gun.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I haven't read any of Bob Hagel's books in years, but he knew what he was talking about when it came to game bullets. His remarks on the Silvertip are pretty scathing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Loved them in my 30-30.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smallfry
Loved them in my 30-30.

I bought 500 of the 190 grain STs that were loaded in the 303 Savage, way back when Winchester/Western loaded that bullet in factory loads and sold them as components.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I'm sorry to correct you guys, but actually, due to all the werewolves having been shot out, there is no longer any need for silver bullets.

L.W.

LOL.

They were allays my favorite 30-30 Load when I was a kiddo.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Looks sold the Sliver tip more than anything else. Rio7

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Y33611,

IMO "skidrow" is right about them being velocity sensitive and "mule deer" recalls that some worked well in some cartridges and some didn't. I've read many stories about good performance with 130 gr. 270 on elk and many stories about bad performance in 30 cal.

I quit using them many years ago, because of this variation in performance--and not just in my personal experience but many other hunters I knew, in cartridges from the .270 Winchester to .375 H&H. Have described many of these examples in various articles and books, and these days am very puzzled why anybody would choose to use them in anything except in low-velocity rounds like the .30-30.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7

Looks sold the Sliver tip more than anything else. Rio7

Yep. Sold me when I was a kid. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the looks of them, but they are basically a power point with a shiny tip...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Uh, no, not nearly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a box and a half of them in 180gr 30-06 that I bought 16 years ago. Took a fork horned buck with one. In the ribs out the other side. Maybe I’ll keep them for nostalgia.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They weren’t worth a chit 17 years ago and haven’t improved since. RIP

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Uh, no, not nearly.

Not really huh? The power point is obviously better..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a couple dozen boxes of 100 grain 250-3000 and 257 Roberts white box factory loads from the early 1980's. Somehow the Outdoor Recreation Center at Fort Riley had a lot of ammo that nobody wanted and they closed it out for about $3 per box of 20. I was loading my own, so I bought it for that rainy day that has yet to arrive.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (AKislander, 300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, 8 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,573
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.