Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Ranger99
JMHO- i never wear any clothing with brown in
the field during a deer season.
Way too many pinheads making sound shots and
hail mary shots for my tastes.

Couple years ago hunting on top of a drainage with some heavy timber. I saw some light brown moving through the trees.
Put my rifle up in a hurry and it was some dude wearing camo with a tan hat.
Saw him later that evening getting in his rig while on my way back to camp.
Told him I accidentally had his head in my cross hairs due to the his tan hat. Not sure if he was picking up what I was putting down.

That's why I carry binos and don't point a gun at anything I can't 100% identify.

I knew that was coming. Perfect hunting angels.
Sometimes you only get one opportunity, and even though I glass a lot. Things happen fast in real life and reading about on line is a different.
The real lesson is not to wear tan hat durring rifle season.

No. The real lesson is not to point your gun at something you can't identify. Call names all you want, I'm good with it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Don’t need camo for most of what I do but have it because of the technology in it

I feel the same about the technology & comfort/fitment.
Thankfully some of the companies (KUIU and FirstLite) offer solids. I guess Sitka does as well but not to the extent as the other two.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

Couple years ago hunting on top of a drainage with some heavy timber. I saw some light brown moving through the trees.
Told him I accidentally had his head in my cross hairs due to the his tan hat. Not sure if he was picking up what I was putting down.

That's why I carry binos and don't point a gun at anything I can't 100% identify.

Sometimes you only get one opportunity, and even though I glass a lot. Things happen fast in real life and reading about on line is a different.

No. The real lesson is not to point your gun at something you can't identify. Call names all you want, I'm good with it.

I didn’t use my gun/scope to identify
I thought it was deer moving through the timber and drew.
I know it’s hard to comprehend

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

"Drew" as in drew your bow? You said crosshairs and rifle so I suspect you're referring to "drawing" your rifle, which sounds very movie like. Either way, blaming a person's admittedly dumb attire choices for you having their "head in your crosshairs" is Biden level dumb and 100% on you. 100%.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wear mostly neutral solids but I also have camo. When I factor in wind, noise, movement and eye contact I am not sure I see a difference in how successful I am at stalking close wearing camo or solids. I think it’s funny when you read an article or hear someone say “deer don’t see… (this color or that).” and then extrapolate that if they wear that color, somehow they will be invisible to the deer. Hilarious. I am severely colorblind, in fact I have an unusual type of color blindness and on top of that my mind interprets colors differently depending on the background they are up against. However, when I don’t “see a color” the object is not invisible or even without color, it’s just not being seen at the same wavelength someone else is seeing it. I can pick game out the brush like it’s no ones business. I’d be cautious about “knowing” what a deer sees and doesn’t see.
What I do like about camo is not being seen by people at certain times of the hunt. I am walking in or out of an area or someone glasses the hill you are on only to come up and talk to you.
It’s amazing how unaware many hunters are. I’ve sat on a hill and watched hunters push deer 250-300 yards ahead of them even with the wind in their favor, just from walking.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

No it is very easy to comprehend. You actually couldn't identify what was coming through the wood, but pointed your gun at it anyway. Every year people get shot because someone "thought it was a deer". You are wrong, but can't admit it.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hind sight is always 20/20. Can’t take it back and won’t apologize for it .
Real world situations happen fast , and internets perfect Hunter ethics worriers have never done anything wrong in the field.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dre
Hind sight is always 20/20. Can’t take it back and won’t apologize for it .
Real world situations happen fast , and internets perfect Hunter ethics worriers have never done anything wrong in the field.

Yep. Never done that. Nor would I blame the potential victim if I did.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 09/11/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Olive or brown for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I love my blue jeans for hunting. Always have.

Just a little FYI: Cohen found that deer see blue colors best and red colors the worst. Deer can also see greens, yellows and UV light, but they can't differentiate color shades to that extent that humans can. What this means to a hunter is that you should avoid wearing anything blue

LOL.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do remember reading a study that Deer & Deer Hunting magazine did about which color spectrum deer see most vividly and it was the blue violet end of the color wheel. The blues are on one end of the spectrum and the reds are on the other as far as wave length. I'll still wear a camo breakup pattern given the choice, but my deer tend to see movement before they spook due to a color choice. One of my biggest bow bucks came one day during the peak of the rut when I'd forgotten my camo coveralls and I was sitting on the ground in a red plaid shirt and blue jeans.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Just a little FYI: Cohen found that deer see blue colors best and red colors the worst. Deer can also see greens, yellows and UV light, but they can't differentiate color shades to that extent that humans can. What this means to a hunter is that you should avoid wearing anything blue

Dang. A bunch of elk and deer have seen my OD GREEN wool milsurp pants and dark GREEN down parka. I must mesmerize them as they'll stand there totally ignoring me until I do something dumb like moving at the wrong time. Then they look at me and wander off into the brush.
Who's Cohen? Is he a Jew who owns a camo clothing store or something?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Dang. A bunch of elk and deer have seen my OD GREEN wool milsurp pants and dark GREEN down parka. I must mesmerize them as they'll stand there totally ignoring me until I do something dumb like moving at the wrong time. Then they look at me and wander off into the brush.

Bradley Cohen, the lead researcher in a 2014 University of Georgia (UGA) study, calls whitetails an “anti-predation machine.” For starters, their eyeballs are positioned in their head to provide 300- to 310-degree views of their surroundings, including about 65 degrees of binocular vision to the front. The only area they can’t see is the 50- to 60-degree cone behind them. And because they easily detect the slightest motions within their huge visual side-to-side arc, the whitetail’s eyes are more than a backup safety system.

Further, the whitetail’s eyes are most sensitive to colors in the blue-spectrum – the light that’s most available at dusk and dawn when they’re most active.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I try to avoid camo, mostly. That being said I do own some Sitka Gear, and believe it's pretty high-quality stuff and a fair price when you find it on sale. Much of the latest technical hunting clothes only come in garish camo patterns.

Speaking of trying to look stylish while deer hunting, do these gray and orange gaiters clash with my navy blue jogging shorts? smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skeen
Man, I try to avoid camo, mostly. That being said I do own some Sitka Gear, and believe it's pretty high-quality stuff and a fair price when you find it on sale. Much of the latest technical hunting clothes only come in garish camo patterns.

Speaking of trying to look stylish while deer hunting, do these gray and orange gaiters clash with my navy blue jogging shorts? smile

Those gaiters should keep the chiggers from your ankles, but man do I pity your balls.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Dude, watch how and when you quote people.

I am insulted.
I am OFFENDED!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Your inner Jeffo O coming out? Laffin’.

Dude, watch how and when you quote people.

I am insulted.
I am OFFENDED!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Elk never seemed to mind my blue plaid wool shirt . . . maybe they thought I was a vertical pond. Always understood the wind and motion much more important than color or pattern.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I drink camo beer during hunting season. Seems to work fine.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good ole busch ice drink all day and still function.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.