Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16435223 09/14/21
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't get me wrong, I like being alive, but, truth be told, its nowhere near as much fun as it used to be.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Uncle Alvah: I take much credence from the adage "if I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself".
And to me that is the truth.
BUT.... I look forward with gusto to each coming day and try to plan something interesting/rewarding/beneficial for each day.
Tomorrow for instance I will be mounting a scope on a new Rifle in the morning and if the winds stay calm I will be shooting by mid-day.
Then in the afternoon I am heading out with a friend who wants me to buy an ammunition collection a widow is offering him/me.
Wednesday nights are dine out night for the VarmintWife and me.
Looking forward to two gunshows this coming weekend (one in Montana and one in Idaho).
Also looking forward to a movie coming up on Sunday night in Butte, Montana.
I wish your circumstances were different but for me life is an absolute hoot/blast and is VERY rewarding, here in my "golden years".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I have been SO busy of late chasin guns, Varmint Hunting, fly fishing and entertaining out of town guests I have NOT been able to get out Hunting the Sandhill Cranes I have tags for (season opened September 1st!).
Carpe Diem!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Don't get me wrong, I like being alive, but, truth be told, its nowhere near as much fun as it used to be.

That's exactly what I told my doctor at 4:15 today.

He said "yep".
frown

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I didn’t realize how good every day was until I got about 50.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm 60 and can't complain yet,have loss 32 lbs since Jan. and feel good.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
i believe it was John Barrymore that stated
"A man is not truly old, until regrets take the place of dreams."

At 70 I still have things that I dream of doing. Not so grandiose as when I was younger.

I also, from time to time, tell folks that my ambition is to be a "professional small boy". The idea is to retain the sense of wonder and adventure I had as a Yonker'. However I find the biggest impediment to that is that I've "been there, done that" in regards to so many things that there are very few things that are "new/novel".

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

So Uncle A...........how old are you?

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Still better than the alternative.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm old and retired. Life could not be better.

1Minute
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The older you get, the faster time seems to pass.....

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Riverc
I'm 60 and can't complain yet,have loss 32 lbs since Jan. and feel good.

Congratulations. My doc has told me to loose some weight. I asked him his advice on how to start. He said don’t eat anything fatty. I said, you mean like bacon cheeseburgers?” He said “No Fatty, don’t eat anything.”

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Getting old ain't for puzzies!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't use it you lose it.

Pretend there's a hardcore drill sergeant riding your ass.

Then get a heavy bag. Talk about therapeutic . . .

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by geedubya
i believe it was John Barrymore that stated
"A man is not truly old, until regrets take the place of dreams."

That’s a profound quote with much truth to it.

One of the toughest things I’ve noticed about growing “old” is burying dear friends that were taken too young by cancer, accidents and other health issues. I’m 51 and it’s getting harder to make old friends. Burying a brother, burying parents, taking care of friends that have suffered a stroke all combine to make one take a hard look at one’s mortality. I’m truly blessed. I have a wife and best friend that I love with every fiber of my soul. I have children that make me proud every day. I have so much to look forward to that I don’t have the time to get old. I’m in great shape for my age with no chronic health problems except a bad back from old firefighting injuries. My last checkup my doctor told me that my labs were “abnormally normal”. The one monkey on my back was my one vice, chewing tobacco. About 3 months ago I figured that since I was as healthy as I am it would be cancer from chewing that would be most likely to take me too early….so after 30+/- years of chewing I bought my last can of chew and haven’t had a dip since. I can’t slow down time but I can slow down how fast I age. I still have dreams that I aim to realize and I still have that fire in my belly that makes life an awesome adventure. Right now I don’t have the time to get old so I won’t….eventually that day will come and when it does I’ll embrace it as best I can and I’ll spend those quiet days of old age on the boat or on the beach with my wife beside me safe in the knowledge of where we’ll spend eternity together. Until then I have a lot of living to do.

My grandpa used to say to me, “buddy, getting old ain’t for wimps”. My young mind didn’t comprehend how true that statement was.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don’t let the old man in.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Onward through the fog!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Onward and pray a little everyday.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am not getting old, I just get more seasoned every day that goes by.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I could just get the wife to let me retire, I have a lot of things that I love to do. Picked up a no-till drill, small one (Genesis 3), but it works with the paid for tractor. It gets in tight little plots, and, you could plant in a parking lot. Just got my first 3 acres of Fall Release in the ground and it rained yesterday, so we will see. I remember as a kid planting with a 2 row and how long it took to get stuff done, break and disk and then plant...

I want to build an Old Man house, wheelchair and hospital bed accessible, roll-in showers etc. I will GC it and stand watch over the construction. My owners rep will be the storm and strife I have been with for 49 years this fall.

I have some trees that need cutting and snaking to plant more chestnuts, I want to live long enough to shoot a deer under the ones I planted 5 years ago...I am kind of like Oldman03, I had the knees replaced and figure on keeping on with what I have...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Onward and pray a little everyday.

Pray a lot everyday.

"pray without ceasing;" 1 Thess 5:17

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (673, 444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 21 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,076
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.