Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Has anyone seen or heard anything more about these?

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by okie john
Has anyone seen or heard anything more about these?

I got an email reply from Brasner Customer Service in late September saying they were working on the molds and stocks should be available in two months [from September].

So we should see them around March. grin

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Talked to Mark about this a few weeks back; he says they have the molds, just backed up with other stuff. He thinks it'll be summer now. Some Winchester stocks I ordered also took 3x as long as they did last year (but 1/4 as long as Manners etc) so I guess they are busy.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I thought Bansner's stock were just fine before. They were easy to finish, compared to Brown Precision, for example, and I liked the shape just fine. For one who started out with the early stocks from Chet Brown or Lee Six, Bansner's were practically finished as they came. Mauser 98's have always been a little difficult to make stocks for. Most 'smiths shaped the tang of the action just a little and it is difficult for the stock manufacturer to anticipate this. The only real solution is just to be sure the wrist of the stock allows for some reshaping.
As I said, I always thought Bansner's stocks were a good product; both for quality and pricing. Sounds like the quality will be there but the price point isn't as attractive. GD

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
greydog,

I have used Banser's stocks since the 1990s, and while I also found them easier to finish up than other lay-up synthetic stocks of it took FAR less time to finish one of the new ones than the previous ones, due both to closer inletting of the action area, and being able to order various barrel-channel dimensions.

The price is somewhat higher, but then it essentially hadn't been raised for at least a decade. I found the difference well worth the price in time spent.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My only Bansner experience was with the early addition. I had to take it to a smith who had a mill to get it inletted for a m70. Personally, I would prefer paying more upfront for close tolerances out of the box, than having it lay around in a gunsmith shop while I'm excited to get started working on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

A picture I made 10 years ago showing High Tech Specialities [Bansner from Brownells] stocks one before and one after me trimming the flashing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Me epoxying in wooden butt plugs for recoil pad attachment.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by StrayDog
My only Bansner experience was with the early addition. I had to take it to a smith who had a mill to get it inletted for a m70. Personally, I would prefer paying more upfront for close tolerances out of the box, than having it lay around in a gunsmith shop while I'm excited to get started working on it.

I have one that I think is from about 2017 or so, which came looking like the "after" picture in Clarkm's picture above. Ie...it was mostly already finished as it came out of the box, but wasn't beautiful before painting.

The ones I've gotten in the past year or so didn't require any meaningful finish work, looked very good out of the box, whatever imperfections they had disappeared under the paint. And as Mule Deer has said the inletting is very good out of the box as well.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Anyone care to share some pictures of their stock that's been finished (painted)?
Looking to order one for a Pre64 build I'm still planning.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here are two I did, a few years apart. The top rifle is one of the older stocks, the bottom one of the newer stocks. They're painted in what I call my "sagebrush" pattern, partly because of using actual sagebrush branches for stencils.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
John, do you find the comb height on those suitable for open sights as well?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bansner redid all his molds and the process after he split off from Law. It took a while to get the tooling in place, I would not expect it to be like a model made 6 years ago which were not bad stocks just needed a little more work.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GeoW
Anything in Rem 700 coming close to a 700 KS stock? Also barrel channel is "Accommodates up to and including Douglas #4".

Does that mean anything smaller than the Douglas #4 will have gaps along the barrel? Especially a 700 Mountain Rifle barrel.

Thanks!

Ask him, I doubt anyone makes something for the mountain rifle barrel other then Mcmillan. I think he means you can cut the stock to fit a #4 Douglas.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The stock Mark supplied for the lower rifle shown above had a barrel channel for the #2 contour Douglas stainless barrel. I didn't feel the need to add any "bedding" to the channel--unlike the older stock.

Of course, you should ask him, as you noted.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
John, do you find the comb height on those suitable for open sights as well?

Depends on the height of the open sights and your cheekbones/eye height.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve spent the morning emailing Ben at Bansner’s. Here’s the upshot of our conversations:
1. They are developing a Classic stock inletted to fit the Mauser 98 (and similar actions) with the understanding it won’t fit them all and may need tweaking.
2. Barrel channels will accommodate up to and including a Douglas #4 contour.
3. Bottom metal inletting will fit "factory" Mauser bottom metal. They will add other aftermarket bottom metals based on demand.
4. Stocks should be available by the end of the year.
5. He can put you on a contact list and let you know when we're in production. At that time, they take a 25% deposit.
6. Stock cost is $425. Recoil pad installation is another $100.

Now you know what I know.

Okie John

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I got one yesterday from Bansner for a M70 , it is the Miller M70 pattern. Like Mule Deer Said it would take less then 1 hour to completely cleanup the stock, they tell you that the tang bolt cutout , barrel contour have to be checked and possibly addressed. It is better inletted then a Mcmillan Sako Edge I ordered before they changed ownership.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Got the email today:

I've got you on the list of patient people interested in our Classic stock for the Mauser 98. Well good news: the mold is now operational and we are in production! I'll be adding it to our website and store along with all the details shortly. In the meantime if you have any questions or are interested in placing an order just shoot us an email or give us a call at 717-997-2660.

Okie John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread is good news for me as I still have 3 or 4 stripped Mauser actions to be built as I have not found any quality stocks in a while that weren't more work than I want to do at this time.

The best Mauser stocks I've ever used were the original Pacific Research stocks when they were made on Vashon Island, WA before Borden bought the company & the design, screwed it up, then dropped it from their line, still have two...............haven't found anything comparable since, so maybe the Bansner will be the answer.

Thanks for updating the status.

MM

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.