Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When I cook for company, I like to think I do what I'd call a thrasher's dinner.

Simple, but good food, and plenty of it.

Ham, roast beef, fried chicken, potatoes, gravy, a good vegetable side, and good bread.

What would you fix for a meal kike that?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whoa haven't heard that term probably since I was a kid.

Called pizza and beer night here behind the wire.

And no don't care if its kosher.🤣😂🤣

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When I cook for company, I like to think I do what I'd call a thrasher's dinner.

Simple, but good food, and plenty of it.

Ham, roast beef, fried chicken, potatoes, gravy, a good vegetable side, and good bread.

Add some homemade Peach or Apple Pie and a big jug of Sweet Tea and I’d be good to go ! 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Something kosher I guess

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My deceased mother in law cooked for threshing crews during the depression...the meat offerings were limited to what was available, frequently pork steak and chops, but always, always...beans by the bucketful, gravy by the gallon, and plenty of starch to pour the gravy on, fresh baked bread daily. Around here, dessert was seldom baked stuff, most likely peaches, pears or apricots over bread slices, sometimes with a splash of cream. Very similar to logging camp food I enjoyed in the '60's, up on the Olympic Peninsula, only the logging outfits had professional cooks and bakers, and their job was to keep a steady crew, not worry about cost per meal.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any meal that doesn't have "plenty of it" is not a meal.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That stuff you listed is soooooo heavy and totally unwoke.

Instead, you should have healthy food. Start with plates of tofu, alfalfa stems, bean sprouts, folded spinach leaves, kale, and sliced Brussel sprouts marinated in virgin olive oil. Dessert should be baked acorns with a few dribbles of organic honey. Your guests will thank you profusely for helping them to "eat healthy."

Trust me. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was a kid, when we worked cattle or harvested wheat on my Great Grandparents Ranch, all we got were biscuits, red beans, bacon, and coffee. And an apple if you were lucky. 🤠

Her Dad was a old time Trail Cook on the old Chisum and Goodnight Loving Cattle Drives.

Probably what they had wasn’t much better, growing up.
Or much worse. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Cattle drives, lumber camps, mines, all had to serve Good!, food to get, and keep good help.

Last edited by wabigoon; 09/16/21.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My great grandfathers both worked on thrashing crews, great great Grandad ran a thrashing crew with his own steam tractor and threshing machine. Part of the deal was always that whoever they were thrashing for had to feed the crew in the field. Meals ranged from fried pheasants once in Nebraska to a giant baked spotted gar out of the Washita river. I’m sure most of the time there were lots of beans and potatoes with cornbread.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Food and cheap whiskey in big quantities kept em running from what I remember. And lots of black coffee the next morning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mom would be the one to ask.
When we lived on the farm she often had 5 or 6 teenaged
town kids living there all week. Sometimes a couple hired men
for lunch if the sawmill was running too.

Don't remember it, but I can only imagine the amount of food
she went through.

Just normal home cooked farmer food.
Cured or fresh pig, beef, chicken.
Potatoes, gravy(absodamlutly) tomatoes, cukes, squash, beans.
Whatever was growing, if not summer, then she had them canned.

And green onions as often as possible.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to go to a Threshermens Breakfast during Threshermens Days in western MN., good food.

When I worked on an old saw mill in MN lunch for the crew was a chunk of Horse Cock, a loaf of bread, a big can of beans and a big can of peaches, they just got passed around the crew of four until all was gone then back to work.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.