Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I noted in the thread on lightweight synthetic stocks for 98 Mauser actions, Mark Banser's are great--but the trouble was he's been refining the stocks considerably, so they're a lot easier to fit and finish. He started, of course, with the Remington 700 and Winchester 70 stocks, since they're most popular--but I just got off the phone with Mark, and the 98 stocks are third on the list. He expects to have the mold together any day now, and probably have stocks in 2-3 months.

I put one of the new-model 700 stocks on a .280 AI last, and the amount of fitting and finishing is minimal compared to the original stocks. In fact I had it done in maybe 2 hours, including painting. The downside, of course, is the new model costs over $400.

He's also planning on several more models, including one for Ruger Mark II actions, which should be available sometime this winter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks for the update MD. I talked to him about the Mauser 98 stock earlier this spring and I was told it would be late August for the stocks.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good news.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hmmm... if I end up loving this Ruger .366 Bock and decide to keep it, then I may have to give Mark a call. I already have 2 of his M70 stocks.

Last edited by Puddle; 09/15/21.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have to call him and get one going for the M70 I own. After talking to Mcmillan yesterday and a quoted price of 705 for a product that is actually heavier then the Bansner, no thanks.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks MD. This is great news...esp because when I called McMillan the other week to ask about a Ruger stock, they told me they no longer make them. Bansner for the win.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good to know-there's a pawn shop Mark X in the safe in desperate need of a new stock.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have an older commercial mauser...santa barbara or some such with no markings. Raw bolt finish and side safety which locks the bolt. Whatever it is, i got it from the local smith who'd rebarreled with shilen and reblued it, for a customer who didn't pick it up or pay.

Bottom metal was potmetal...worked fine but triggerguard was thinned in one spot and cracked. That bothered me.

Along the way I came across a bansner large ring stock, and bought it reasonably in the classifieds here. Looked at it real close with the potmetal bottom metal, and was thence determined to turn it into ADL.
*I lopped the potmetal triggerguard off of the mag box.
*I asked here on the fire and Sitka Deer had steel bottom metal from a rifle that was in a fire. Rusty and whatnot. I carved off the triggerguard and shaped it to be like the one found on a kimber montana...little tang up front along with the rear screw. I sanded it down to remove pits and such, and had it parkerized with the rest of the rifle.
*I epoxy'd fiberglass weave over the floorplate area and triggerguard, as one would repair a boat hull...taper grind away from the repair, apply glass/epoxy, fair the structural part, then surface fill/prime/paint. This entombed the potmetal mag box, and I was careful that the box floated and did not bind the action when tightening the action screws.

Result...it's a pretty neat rifle and works well. I don't remember if the mag box comes out offhand...I've not had it apart for a while. Worked well though, and the bansner shape for that action is just right. Light and handy, for a mauser.

On the other hand, the inletting for my older bansner ruger stock is off-center visibly, and that made things tough getting an old tang-safety bedded and right. Kind of par for the course, I guess.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I filled out their contact form asking about the estimated lead time for a 70 Classic stock, specifying bottom metal inlet, and recoil pad and LOP. The response said it should only take a 2 weeks.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
This thread is going to cost me a lot of money.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

I suspect you won't alone. cry

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Okie John

No he won't be. eek

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so is it the Classic or is it the Sheep hunter that I desperately need?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Okie John

Nope...
frown

Wish I weren't so curious

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I finished up a new Bansner Sheep Hunter for a Defiance a couple of weeks ago. Very nice pattern, light, and it was much easier to finish than the versions of old. I really like it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so, what are you guys choosing? The classic, the sheep hunter or the Miller?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I don't know. I have one on a Model 70 pawn-shop rescue and I want to match that. I'll probably have to send him a picture and go from there.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
so, what are you guys choosing? The classic, the sheep hunter or the Miller?

The Sheephunter.
What Bansner originally called the Sheep Hunter had a very short fore end and bit more diminutive size. His current sporting stock for 700’s is almost as light as the original Sheep Hunter but is full size.

The Sheep Hunter I installed this spring on a M700 Mtn fit well, although the tang area was a bit off center. I full length bed the receiver on all my composite stocks and make liberal use of my Dremel to give the bedding compound some room, and shape the tang area anyway.

When I talked to Dave this winter he said the goal is a drop in fit. Mine wasn’t quite there yet, but close.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a Bansners stock on a early Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" .338 Win. Mag. I had customized back in the early 90's, if my memory is correct. I had them do the work as I used Ted Blackburn's one piece bottom metal with the belly drop so four rounds could be carried in the magazine. Except for my old Pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06, it and the .338 are the only two rifles I have hunted with in about 30 years or more.

If I ever put another synthetic on a rifle I will look to Bansner's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything in Rem 700 coming close to a 700 KS stock? Also barrel channel is "Accommodates up to and including Douglas #4".

Does that mean anything smaller than the Douglas #4 will have gaps along the barrel? Especially a 700 Mountain Rifle barrel.

Thanks!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.