Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I use a light wrap of 4 ought steel wool around an old 38cal brush, hose it with g96 or wd-40. Spin it in and out with a rechargeable drill. The lube will keep it from removing any metal but chamber fouling will come out. Mb

I did this with a 357 mag I bought used and had been a training gun for a police academy. They had only shot 38 spcl ammo in it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I use the Brownell's stainless steel brush, never harmed the chambers on any of my revolvers. I also use Lewis Lead Remover, the best way I've found to clean a leaded bore.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lewis Lead Remover for the forcing cone, small stainless steel bristle brush for the face of the barrel and cylinder. I've also got a dental pick in my range box to clean between the barrel and the top strap.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Lewis Lead Remover for the forcing cone, small stainless steel bristle brush for the face of the barrel and cylinder. I've also got a dental pick in my range box to clean between the barrel and the top strap.

Lewis Lead Remover is extremely effective and poses low risk of damage to chamber walls and forcing cone. Stainless steel brush will definitely scratch; I use one to take care of stray scratches on stainless S&W revolvers. A bronze brush (available from Brownells) is better for use on cylinder faces and frame surfaces around the forcing cone, as it’s less likely to scratch stainless steel or cut through bluing.

Every day’s an adventure.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Originally Posted by Boxcarman
Well I'm here to tell you all that the chambers in the cylinder are now lead free. Soaked the chambers with penetrating oil, then wrapped a thin strip of scotch brite around a worn brass brush and carefully spun it slowly with a cordless drill. Did it for about five seconds then cleaned the chamber and checked it with the bore scope Bingo !! lead - be - gone. But I do have a problem now. I dropped one of the Oregon Trail 200 gr. RNFP cast bullets in the chambers and eight out of ten drop right on through. The other two you barely tap them and they fall through. The bullets measured .432", so now what do I do? Tell Oregon Trail the next time I order bullets to send me some sized .434"? I'm guessing when I say I could bump up the velocity and then maybe they would obturate and grab the bore, but then if I bump up the velocity I'm defeating the purpose of reduced loads for comfortable shooting. What do you guys say on this? BCM

Glad to see you went that direction. I have been doing that for years and it works like a charm when folks bring me their revolvers with similar problems. It is simple cheap and effective.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No need to buy a Lewis Lead Remover. Buy a 2 pack of Chore Boy copper cleaning pads. Strip some copper strands from the Chore Boy pad. Wind them around an under sized copper bore brush. Strips the lead out like magic. One package will last you a lifetime.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by FWP

Yes, the op does.
Originally Posted by Boxcarman
I recently bought a used Smith & Wesson revolver and in the process of going over it I'm trying to remove a build up of carbon in the cylinder. (yes I have a bore scope) Boy, I'm at wits end on this one. Tried carbon remover and let it soak, Lewis lead remover, by twisting it in the effected area, all the known brands CR10, Shooters Choice, Butch's Bore Shine, Montana, etc, etc. Don't want to just start scraping around in there and take a chance on messing up the bore. You guys have any suggestions? Thanks. BCM

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1badf350, 257Bob, 260Remguy, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,528
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.