Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://texasscorecard.com/commentary/waller-chinese-backdoor-threatens-next-texas-blackout/

American security experts have long worried about the threat of hackers targeting the U.S. critical infrastructure. American citizens have increasingly begun to see the real-world results, such as the Colonial Pipeline cyber attack, which forced Americans to stand in massive lines for dwindling fuel for days.

But what if foreign adversaries didn’t even need to use hackers to breach our network defenses to cause havoc? What if they were the ones who built the most critical parts of our infrastructure in the first place?

That’s the warning recently raised by a Texas resident in a complaint lodged with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the nation’s federal agency that regulates the “bulk power system.”

According to the documents provided in the complaint, 300 large power transformers, the backbone of the electric grid, were imported into the United States from a Chinese company named JiangSu HuaPeng Transformer Co., Ltd. (JSHP). Copies of bills of lading indicate that at least 20 of these transformers passed through the Port of Houston, Texas, on the way to destinations all over the country. At least one of them, according to the manufacturer, remains in Houston.

Why is this a problem? At least two transformers from JSHP have already been discovered to contain hardware backdoors that could enable Chinese agents to maliciously remote-access and manipulate them. In the summer of 2018, the U.S. government seized a JSHP transformer in the Port of Houston and transported it to Sandia National Laboratories for a comprehensive examination.

“They found hardware that was put into that that had the ability for somebody in China to switch it off,” said Latham Saddler, the former director of intelligence programs at the National Security Council in the last administration.

Yet, despite some efforts of the federal government to address these supply chain vulnerabilities, U.S. utilities just keep importing Chinese transformers. JSHP’s website boasts that their transformers handle 20 percent of the electrical load for Las Vegas and 10 percent of the load for New York City.

But it’s not just JSHP and its transformers. The recent complaint also revealed that U.S. utilities are purchasing a whole host of grid “protection” and “monitoring” products from companies with direct links and even ownership ties to the Chinese Communist government. Chinese law obligates all Chinese corporations to provide assistance whenever the Communist regime’s intelligence agencies demand.

If the federal government isn’t working fast enough to address these vulnerabilities, maybe the Texas government can. On June 18, 2021, Governor Abbott signed into law the “Lone Star Infrastructure Protection Act,” co-authored by Texas state Senator Donna Campbell and State Representative Tan Parker. In a statement about the bill, Rep. Parker said that the legislation “sends a clear message that we will not allow hostile foreign actors to access these vital elements of our great state.”

The legislation appears to be forward-looking and prevents investments and contracts occurring after June 18, 2021, that might entangle the Texas grid with a foreign adversary. It specifically states:

“A business entity may not enter into an agreement relating to critical infrastructure in this state with a company:

1. if, under the agreement, the company would be granted direct or remote access to or control of critical infrastructure in this state, excluding access specifically allowed by the business entity for product warranty and support purposes; and

2. if the business entity knows that the company is:

(A) owned by or the majority of stock or other ownership interest of the company is held or controlled by:

-individuals who are citizens of China, Iran, North Korea, Russia, or a designated country; or

-a company or other entity, including a governmental entity, that is owned or controlled by citizens of or is directly controlled by the government of China, Iran, North Korea, Russia, or a designated country; or

(B) headquartered in China, Iran, North Korea, Russia, or a designated country.”

Based on the evidence brought forth in the recent complaint, it seems that future purchases of JSHP transformers by Texas-based utilities would be a violation of this Texas law.

But what if the Texas utilities choose to remain “unaware” that their vendors are a front for the Chinese government or its intelligence agencies? And what about the existing Chinese grid components already in Texas grid? It is unclear whether the Lone Star Protection Act could be a vehicle to remove Chinese-made transformers from the Texas grid or discipline the corporations that import them without performing due diligence.

What has become clear is that governments and corporations must thoroughly investigate the existing Chinese transformers and grid components and the companies selling them.

Experts recommend FERC schedule a technical conference and employ a special task force to find and vet these transformers and grid components, with an emphasis on determining whether these transformers supply electricity to nuclear power stations.

This emphasis on nuclear power stations is important because a loss of offsite power to a nuclear plant requires that it rely upon emergency diesel generators to power the systems that keep the reactor and its spent nuclear fuel safe. Those same experts point to a history of issues with these diesel generators and have stressed the need to prevent nuclear plants from losing offsite power in the first place.

However, the federal government has shown little interest in moving quickly to resolve the potential threat posed by the Chinese-made transformers and grid components that could be used to take down the grid.

It will be up to the state of Texas to take initiative on their own. State government agencies should immediately begin their own investigations, ideally starting with identifying potentially compromised components supporting offsite power to Texas’ two nuclear power plants.

The state should also put other critical infrastructure owners on notice about the threat of Chinese-made equipment. Joseph Weiss, an international authority on cybersecurity and control systems, recently warned that the same equipment identified in the grid transformers “can be used in many other critical infrastructures such as water/wastewater, pipelines, oil/gas, and manufacturing.”

Failure to act could leave the Lone Star state vulnerable to an even more disastrous blackout than the one suffered this winter: a blackout where the ability to turn the power back on no longer rests in the hands of Texans.

Finally, other states should follow Texas’ lead and pass similar infrastructure protection legislation.

Protecting the national electric grid from malicious manipulation by foreign actors is ultimately the responsibility of the federal government. While states other than Texas do not have the advantage of their own independently regulated electric grid, state governments should not be afraid to take prudent steps to secure their citizens from this foreseeable threat. And, they don’t have to wait for legislators to mandate it.

State public service commissioners, law enforcement, and national guard personnel can and should investigate whether their state is host to any of these Chinese transformers now.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well hell and we still have ERCOT!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300

Ain't it so.

Hot Wheels and the legislature didn't do a very good job of cleaning up that catastrophe.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by rickt300

Ain't it so.

Hot Wheels and the legislature didn't do a very good job of cleaning up that catastrophe.

Ask yourself, “why”.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would a transformer even have the ability to be linked to the web or a phone system?

1Minute
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Why isn’t China a glowing pile of molten glass???

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'll guarantee the Chinese have a backdoor into every type of infrastructure we have. Oil, gas, electricity, communications, wastewater, clean water, airline, train etc. etc. It's too easy to do and we're too naïve, cocky and lazy to protect ourselves from it.

If our own FBI and CIA could allow their communications system to be hacked, resulting in the execution of over 30 agents, then a regular utility is clueless about their risks and vulnerabilities.

Botched CIA Communications

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
C’mon man. Relax. Here’s the deal. Plugs is on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You want power, 10% to the man.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GAGoober
C’mon man. Relax. Here’s the deal. Plugs is on it.

Whew,,,,I feel better now. crazy

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My power went out today for about 10 minutes.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Sum Ting Wong.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Sum Ting Wong.

You just had to go there, didn’t you?

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Sum Ting Wong.

You just had to go there, didn’t you?

laugh

I'm about ready for this year's deep freeze.

Got my 27kw PTO generator delivered about a week ago. Still have to mount it on the 3 point hitch frame. But have the frame and new driveshaft ready to go. (Generator was backorder for months)

It'll power the whole ranch. Both houses, well, etc.

February was a lesson learned last year.

Fuggers. mad

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I will simply revert back to 1820 like I did this past year! 🤣

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cable provider here in GA is Comcast. The last few days Fox News channel display looks like it is being electronically jammed. Signal is in and out & faces keep switching over to a Picasso like painting look. Every other channel is clear as a bell.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Same with my tv app on the firestick, only fox.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I like your thinking.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Better lay in a supply of bear fat and a couple of jars of Hell on the Red Party Dip!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (1_deuce, 673, 3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 21 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.