Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I agree. Something wrong with those people..

OK - how about "it is what it is". Same thing either way. Sure prices may come down a bit or at least stabilize, but anyone that believes the prices get back to where they were are more out of touch than the "new normal" folks. So---maybe this is the "New Normal".

HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can load what I want , so to me it's about having what I want to shoot and no longer about saving money... but yes the price of reloading has gone up.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Sheister
Finished reloading a bunch of ammo for myself , my brother, and my son and I started to total up the cost- which I haven't done for a few years.... it's just a hobby, right?

Well, for my brother's 30-06 he wanted some 180s loaded for deer and elk just to simplify things so I picked up some Accubond seconds from Shooter's Pro Shop. Loaded up 100 rounds, including the 15 I used for load work up for his new rifle and totalled up the damages-

100 Nosler Accubond seconds- $70
1 lb of H4831 $36
100 Primers +/- $8
Total $114 +

Brass was our pick up from past shooting sessions so it was basically free, but if I had to pay for new brass, add another $50-$75....

This is crazy! I'm looking forward to things getting back to almost normal someday relatively soon...

Bob

You think that's bad? Go buy a boat.

Yup, I own a boat (actually two boats) , so I understand what you are saying.... wink

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not really a fan of reloading exactly what I need and no more... there is money and time to be saved IMO by reloading everything you need for the foreseeable future at a single time so you don't have to set up every time you shoot a few rounds. Also, if you want to shoot more than just the two shots some guys shoot during hunting season, it seems wise to have ammo on hand to use when you want to and not have to scramble the night before to load up ammo for your trip... I usually have more important things to do when I'm getting ready for a shooting or hunting trip...

Besides, when using a new rifle, or a new component like a different bullet, powder, etc... it is always a good idea to work up a load, test in thoroughly on paper, and check your rifle before a trip instead of wondering why your rifle won't shoot when you line up on an animal...

I do believe component prices are going to come down eventually. Probably not back to pre-pandemic levels, but substantially in time.. right now I would be happy if components were even available. I am getting scary close to running out of my favorite powders- H4831, H335, Varget, and a couple others...

Talking to my brother about his ammo situation seemed to calm things down a bit. He was telling me even Coreloks 30-06 these days are going for $40 a box, so in the end I saved him a good chunk of money and he will have enough ammo to last him many years of hunting... win, win....

Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RL

OK - how about "it is what it is". Same thing either way. Sure prices may come down a bit or at least stabilize, but anyone that believes the prices get back to where they were are more out of touch than the "new normal" folks. So---maybe this is the "New Normal".

Saying it's "the new normal" implies that prices are going to stay as they are now. Not to go back down. That is idiotic to think that way. Prices will go back down, shelves will stock back up, but it's going to take some time. We have to live with it the way it is for a while. I'm not going to believe we are stuck with paying $10.00/100 for primers. There are places that are not taking advantage of the consumer as well. You just have to be smart enough to find out where the deals are. I'm still paying exceptionally low prices on stuff. If you don't, that is on you...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not really a fan of reloading exactly what I need and no more... there is money and time to be saved IMO by reloading everything you need for the foreseeable future at a single time so you don't have to set up every time you shoot a few rounds. Also, if you want to shoot more than just the two shots some guys shoot during hunting season, it seems wise to have ammo on hand to use when you want to and not have to scramble the night before to load up ammo for your trip... I usually have more important things to do when I'm getting ready for a shooting or hunting trip...

Besides, when using a new rifle, or a new component like a different bullet, powder, etc... it is always a good idea to work up a load, test in thoroughly on paper, and check your rifle before a trip instead of wondering why your rifle won't shoot when you line up on an animal...

I do believe component prices are going to come down eventually. Probably not back to pre-pandemic levels, but substantially in time.. right now I would be happy if components were even available. I am getting scary close to running out of my favorite powders- H4831, H335, Varget, and a couple others...

Talking to my brother about his ammo situation seemed to calm things down a bit. He was telling me even Coreloks 30-06 these days are going for $40 a box, so in the end I saved him a good chunk of money and he will have enough ammo to last him many years of hunting... win, win....

Bob

Bob, I may have some H4831 and H335 to spare. I found some H335 a few months ago at a LGS:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I bought 6 pounds of H335 at a reasonable price. Like I said in my last post, there are some places that aren't gouging us. Your post is spot on too.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RL

Saying it's "the new normal" implies that prices are going to stay as they are now. Not to go back down. That is idiotic to think that way. Prices will go back down, shelves will stock back up, but it's going to take some time. We have to live with it the way it is for a while. I'm not going to believe we are stuck with paying $10.00/100 for primers. There are places that are not taking advantage of the consumer as well. You just have to be smart enough to find out where the deals are. I'm still paying exceptionally low prices on stuff. If you don't, that is on you...

My friend - I don't think I am being idiotic at all... Just exactly how much do you think the prices will go down - 5% or maybe even 10% - more? I don't disagree that prices will stabilize, which can imply some of the "gougers" will have to lower their prices while some of the LGS and such may eventually raise their prices. Historically, any major price increases rarely if ever go back to where they were originally (gas & oil and related being the exceptions). Thus, the New Normal will be whatever the price is stabilized at. Do you really think that Midway, Mid South, Cabela's etc. are going to lower their prices much if any as long as people pay the current price? Me either.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Bob

Bob, I may have some H4831 and H335 to spare. I found some H335 a few months ago at a LGS:
I bought 6 pounds of H335 at a reasonable price. Like I said in my last post, there are some places that aren't gouging us. Your post is spot on too.

Thanks, let me know if you can spare a pound of each. That should get me over the rough spot until supplies start to stabilize a bit... I found some on line a few days ago, but by time I paid the hazardous shipping fee, shipping, and the vendor's vacation tax it totalled around $68 a pound... so it went back into their inventory for someone more desperate than me to find.... wink

Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by RL

My friend - I don't think I am being idiotic at all... Just exactly how much do you think the prices will go down - 5% or maybe even 10% - more? I don't disagree that prices will stabilize, which can imply some of the "gougers" will have to lower their prices while some of the LGS and such may eventually raise their prices. Historically, any major price increases rarely if ever go back to where they were originally (gas & oil and related being the exceptions). Thus, the New Normal will be whatever the price is stabilized at. Do you really think that Midway, Mid South, Cabela's etc. are going to lower their prices much if any as long as people pay the current price? Me either.

I know exactly what they are going to go down to. Primers in the realm of $4.50/100 for standard, $6.50 for match primers. Bullets are still reasonable and in stock at times at places like midsouth shooters supply. Bullets will eventually be back on the shelves. When that happens, prices will go down. That is inevitable. I was just at my local LGS (Bi-mart) and saw a nice selection of bullets. Nowhere near what they had before, but a lot more on the shelves. The majority of them were Hornady, but I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets. Prices were very reasonable too. They know we will just go to online vendors and pay less, so some stores are smart to keep their prices within reach. Powder has been as high as $100/pound on gunbroker and other places. Is that your new norm you want? Nah, powder prices are going to go back down too. Expect to pay $40/pound for most of what you like. I'm still paying in the neighborhood of $26.99-$30.00/pound for powder. Some places like SPS have raised their prices. Email those pos and tell them they lost a customer. Too many people do that and they are going to start losing revenue and loyal customers will go elsewhere or use a different brand. You want to cave in and think this is the new normal, that is on you, but it doesn't help the rest of us out either in the long run. Guys like you are probably bending over and paying those high prices too. Most of us don't have to, we are well stocked up. But when we see a good deal come along, we buy it. We don't overbuy, as to screw the next guy, but we stay stocked up. I've told gunshops they are ridiculous and they lost my business and that they should consider not gouging people. Sometimes they are responsive to that and ask what I'm willing to pay. There's room for dickering when prices are high. They know it. This chidt really isn't that hard to figure out.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Bob

Thanks, let me know if you can spare a pound of each. That should get me over the rough spot until supplies start to stabilize a bit... I found some on line a few days ago, but by time I paid the hazardous shipping fee, shipping, and the vendor's vacation tax it totalled around $68 a pound... so it went back into their inventory for someone more desperate than me to find.... wink

Bob

Sure enough Bob. I have a pound of each. I will let you know when I'm available to meet with you. I'm going to be cutting up elk soon, but don't know which day. My daughter wanted me to take her to the clubs range and do some shooting, so maybe we can meet up then. I'll send you a pm and we can chat about it.. Hope all is well.. Oh, ps don't try to figure out how much it cost us to shoot at our little centerfire competition the other day!!!

That was damn fun though and well worth it.. I won't show my other targets... Ha ha..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New Normal is both demand and supply. On supply side, the supply chain is not working too good.

"Our ckackity-clack machine needs some parts. We use to be able to phone an order and a week later at worst we would have them. Now they tell a couple of months at the earliest. "

They are talking last quarter of 2022. Experts?? are always optimistic.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by RL

I know exactly what they are going to go down to. Primers in the realm of $4.50/100 for standard, $6.50 for match primers. Bullets are still reasonable and in stock at times at places like midsouth shooters supply. Bullets will eventually be back on the shelves. When that happens, prices will go down. That is inevitable. I was just at my local LGS (Bi-mart) and saw a nice selection of bullets. Nowhere near what they had before, but a lot more on the shelves. The majority of them were Hornady, but I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets. Prices were very reasonable too. They know we will just go to online vendors and pay less, so some stores are smart to keep their prices within reach. Powder has been as high as $100/pound on gunbroker and other places. Is that your new norm you want? Nah, powder prices are going to go back down too. Expect to pay $40/pound for most of what you like. I'm still paying in the neighborhood of $26.99-$30.00/pound for powder. Some places like SPS have raised their prices. Email those pos and tell them they lost a customer. Too many people do that and they are going to start losing revenue and loyal customers will go elsewhere or use a different brand. You want to cave in and think this is the new normal, that is on you, but it doesn't help the rest of us out either in the long run. Guys like you are probably bending over and paying those high prices too. Most of us don't have to, we are well stocked up. But when we see a good deal come along, we buy it. We don't overbuy, as to screw the next guy, but we stay stocked up. I've told gunshops they are ridiculous and they lost my business and that they should consider not gouging people. Sometimes they are responsive to that and ask what I'm willing to pay. There's room for dickering when prices are high. They know it. This chidt really isn't that hard to figure out.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by RL

Ok - so you have the crystal ball uh??? Guys like me uh?? You don't have a clue who I am or what I do. So from that standpoint you can GFY. Now back to the discussion - You just verified exactly what I said to begin with. Prices will stabilize but not where they were - that will be the New Normal. I don't need to justify any purchase to you but will say I am well prepared for whatever happens in the ammo and component market. "We all are well stocked up" like you are some member of an exclusive club??? Give me a break.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 56 invisible), 3,208 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,663
Posts18,534,077
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.