-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife saw a large Bear on Saturday but it was a little over a hundred yards which is beyond her comfort range with her open sighted muzzleloader. I've had a tough week so far having only seen a spike buck

GB1

C
CBB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Shot this bugger back on Nov 4th. He sure liked to fight by the looks of his rack and the hole in his hind end from an antler...

[Linked Image from udrop.com]

Hunt...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we have been watching sevral good bucks. now the woman we buy pheasants from is whining that she wants all pheasants gone by thanksgiving. so the bog guys in our club are releasing birds on opening day of Bear, despite everyone else being pissed and saying to hold off on it. retort was well she will sell our birds, counter retort: we have alrady paid for them let her sell them and we charge her, then sue her

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Ogdonia
Ill be in Sullivan Co also. Some nice deer around this year!

Godd luck!

Yeah you'll be in Hillsgrove just like me. I know the Ogdonia Camp

im only a bit farther than a stones throw from there

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
opening day I plan to be overlooking a cut corn field. usually I have my daughter with me but this year she ahs an all day dance rehearsal. she is going to go with me on the second day and we will probably sit in an elevated blind. the first Monday will likely find me sitting on the uphill side of some thermal bedding cover watching some escape routes

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Ogdonia
Ill be in Sullivan Co also. Some nice deer around this year!

Godd luck!

Yeah you'll be in Hillsgrove just like me. I know the Ogdonia Camp

im only a bit farther than a stones throw from there

Cool!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tend to agree with battue on the crossbow impact in PA. What many predicted would happen with full inclusion, has come true.

Not really a factor where I hunt in rifle season, primarily because there isn't much activity around there in archery seasons, never has been. So the number of bucks remaining for rifle seasons remains pretty good. Never handled a crossbow, no interest in them..If I can shoot the compound well enough to suit me, I bow hunt. Past the 3/4 century mark and shoulders get worse each passing year.

I just wait for rifle season. Best wishes for all those heading out this season.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
Game Commission publication says 40% of Bucks have been killed by archers before rifle season. About time we let the rifle hunters have first go.

Didn’t say anything about the Does.. you boys keep pounding them and there is soon to be a revolt.

And keep beetching about how those who own the land are messing up your hunt. While your preferential treatment removes 40% of the what is available to the rifle hunters.
And you have a 2 month??? season to hit the right day(s).

Correction: 36 % of the Buck kill....Archery Bucks...59,550.Total Buck Kill....163,240. For 36%...

This a major increase since the original archery season was implemented based on the argument getting a Deer with a recurve was very difficult. Which it was. Now that 61% of the archery kill is with crossbows...It is no longer your Granddad's difficult short archery hunt..

https://lancasteronline.com/sports/...4f9bf4a-ba75-11e8-bcaf-8b4d704746d0.html

The majority of big mature bucks in my camp's neighborhood are killed by archery hunters or in the other early seasons. All these early seasons, leased and posted timberlands, and a vastly reduced hunter participation in the once storied PA rifle season has really changed things.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in Sullivan County, PA which was always a big hunting county. There were always bow hunters in the county but in the past gun hunters out numbered them by a big number. Not so today. The old hunting camps are disappearing being replaced by private homes and younger people and those younger people tend to be bow hunters if they hunt at all.

I am seeing way more big bucks being taken by bow hunters than gun hunters in the past few years and I think that trend will continue.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by FWP
I'm in Sullivan County, PA which was always a big hunting county. There were always bow hunters in the county but in the past gun hunters out numbered them by a big number. Not so today. The old hunting camps are disappearing being replaced by private homes and younger people and those younger people tend to be bow hunters if they hunt at all.

I am seeing way more big bucks being taken by bow hunters than gun hunters in the past few years and I think that trend will continue.

To your point due to all of the new neighborhoods going up the only thing you can do is bowhunt. I know where I am at it is all slowly turning over to bowhunting only due to the proximity of houses. I know a guy who has a farm here and he can't gun hunt on it due to how close the houses are now.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
C
CBB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Crossbows have changed archery season forever. I welcome hunters to the game I just disagree with crossbows for the healthy and able bodied.

Someday my archery hunting will be done with a crossbow. But only when I can no longer draw 45-50lbs bows.

Hunt...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,734
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.