Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Nice to see you back.

Ditto. Looking forward to future JJ posts.

You couldn't pay me to live in FL. Well, you could, if the ante was high enough. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Skeeters I got, sometimes rabid critters, and "minority" crime (up in Anc, FBKs, mostly), - but not gators, snakes, skunks, pythons, never-ending lawn care, an overwhelming "immigration" problem (working on it), humidity, hurricanes, Lyme disease, Leporasy carrying armadillos, etc.

I'll stick with winter, the occasional earthquake (it isn't seasonal), bears, wolves, irate mama moose, and fishing season tourist traffic, tho I'd willingly forego the latter.

A tour in the Everglades is on the bucket list, tho.

Get on it, JJ! smile

Last edited by las; 09/29/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I’m retired after 35 years as an engineer. I have a beautiful ranch in eastern wa. But a bit too much to handle in retirement

I’m looking for locals input on the communities or areas. Florida was always in my retirement picture although open to suggestion as to where.

I wanna have access to public hunting lands especially for hogs. Also to be close ( 1 hour ish) to the ocean. A house on a lake would work nicely.

I’ll pay cash for what I buy so I’m not too concerned about little details of the housing. Just the areas hunting landscape flooding and game

Any insight from locals or knowledgeable folks welcome. I have several very good friends in Florida but not in western Florida.

You can PM me as well if you prefer.

Hey JJ, nice to see you. Assume you are aware of the heat/humidity in Gods Waiting Room?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Wrong

so whos right?.....bob

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Wrong

so whos right?.....bob

Not LD, but he ain’t no quitter. I’m rooting for him.
😂

I coulda been wrong on that. That's what I'd heard but didn't see anything out there backing that up.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
cant imagine living in the Northwest all of my life and then moving to a hot humid hellhole like Florida

it's a damn shame more folks don't feel like you do. Florida does NOT need 20+ million refugees

Sam......

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
cant imagine living in the Northwest all of my life and then moving to a hot humid hellhole like Florida

I can't imagine giving my money to those that wish to destroy our nation. Which is any government in the NW.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

I can't imagine giving my money to those that wish to destroy our nation. Which is any government in the NW.

Florida will be a liberal hellhole soon enough ,along with being hot and humid

all the NE yankees moving in on you , plus schitloads of illegals will see to that

I,ll grant you the far NW states are politically fugged up , but there are others like Idaho , Montana , Wyoming

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by KFWA
Right now I am looking at Gadsden Alabama as my retirement spot.

Cheap cost of living, right on the edge of hardwood growth but still a temperate climate - a few scattered 70 degree days in February, and close to lakes and mountains.

I think I'm maybe 5 years away

Much much better places in Alabama than Gadsden. I love about 1.5 hours west of there. You couldn’t pay me enough to live there. Look more towards the northwest around the Bankhead National Forest. Good hunting, fishing and hiking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chokoloskee.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Chokoloskee.

Not bad..

For a Texan.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All i can say is visit as many places as you can.

As for storms,that is what insurance is for.

I like your idea with the rv.

My folks live in MS and i really like the fishing both fresh and salt water and the hunting is not bad.

Hope you can find a place you like.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Nice to see you back.

Ditto. Looking forward to future JJ posts.

You couldn't pay me to live in FL. Well, you could, if the ante was high enough. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Skeeters I got, sometimes rabid critters, and "minority" crime (up in Anc, FBKs, mostly), - but not gators, snakes, skunks, pythons, never-ending lawn care, an overwhelming "immigration" problem (working on it), humidity, hurricanes, Lyme disease, Leporasy carrying armadillos, etc.

I'll stick with winter, the occasional earthquake (it isn't seasonal), bears, wolves, irate mama moose, and fishing season tourist traffic, tho I'd willingly forego the latter.

A tour in the Everglades is on the bucket list, tho.

Get on it, JJ! smile

One thing about FL being hot in the summer. Same thing as WY and MT being cold in the winter.

Keeps a lot of the riff-raff out., and we like it that way.

PS- If you're gonna "tour' Everglades, don't just take a 2 hour ride with some cracker in a swamp buggy.

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/30/21.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd find another place. I've been here (off and on) since 1960. That said, I really don't like it here. I'd forget anything south of say, Jupiter unless you want to live in a foreign land. The Panhandle is great...but...it's hurricane central and they suck. The weather sucks to, unless you like heat and humidity and extreme temp swings. Here in north Florida for example, it can be 20 deg one day and 80 two days later. Humidity is horrendous, save for maybe two months out of the year. Basically, it's a flippin' SWAMP, fugly scenery, but it is a no state income tax state and very pro gun. I'd go for Tennessee myself...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So that's why you have continued to frequent Florida for over 60 years?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
So that's why you have continued to frequent Florida for over 60 years?

Raised in Miami
Went to school there
Joined the Navy doing multiple tours in Jacksonville and Pensacola (where my wife is from)
Own property here
My wife likes it here......(51/100 rule applies)
Probably work at my second job (since I retired from the Navy after 30) for another year or two ...then I am out of this s hithole

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, nothing has ever attracted me to the panhandle for various reasons.

Jacksonville and Miami?

You seem to have a knack for seeking out s hitholes and spending most of your life in them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe you should brush up on the definition of "seeking" when compared to say, my parents moved there (Miami) when I was six and the Navy ordered me to Jacksonville and Pensacola...But yeah, Florida pretty much is..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My parents also moved to Florida when I was in my single digit years.
We were in a less populated west coast area which was pretty grand to grow up in but didn't offer much for quality employment.

Right out of high school I found myself in a Jacksonville Army facility sitting across from a recruiter with a contract laying between us.
God bless his soul for being honest and informing me that the conntract for the job and region I'd applied for came with no guarantee.
Walked out, hitched a ride home, jumped in my truck and drove to Alaska.
Have never been regionally bound.
Never blamed others for the decisions I've made in life either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another two other words of the day for you:
A six year old can't make that call
neither can a Naval Officer on orders They also ordered me to two more s hitholes, Washington DC and Rhode Island, not to mention cursory visits to Iraq and Afghanistan but I do admit those were just "flyover" visits.

Huge difference between decisions and circumstances, but do continue to try...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sorry you've spent 60 years living in regions you despise and couldn't find a way out of your dilemma.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Florida will be a liberal hellhole soon enough ,along with being hot and humid

all the NE yankees moving in on you , plus schitloads of illegals will see to that

I,ll grant you the far NW states are politically fugged up , but there are others like Idaho , Montana , Wyoming

If you say so, the NW has been for decades.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,927
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.