Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Speed really isn't all that advantageous...but some refuse to believe it...Notice their comment about 1400 fps

https://mullerchokes.com/blogs/blog/11227409-shotshell-velocity-speed-doesnt-kill

Last edited by battue; 10/04/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW main goose rig for a decade was an 1100 magnum w 3" bismuth #2s.

Loved that gun but it was like new and shiny.... and I babied it.

Have a beater 1100 Special Purpose now and dont worry about it. Of course i treat it like crap and it still looks good.

Bought a high cap inertia gun for games/HD. It runs like a champ, but isnt exactly gentle on the shooter.

Much prefer my 1100 for comfy shooting.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/04/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
Being lean n mean I think helps.
Guns stay put and are held against meat/ bone framing.
Theres no fat or extra muscle to act as an intermediate sliding surface or spacer.

Even after all that inertia guns seem to have a sharper pop
IMHO.

Whom do you think you would have the best odds of a center chest punch putting them on the floor...

350 pound Sumo or the 120 pound skinny guy on the beach....

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to be skinny and shot a lot, didnt bother me:)
Bigger folks got bruised and complained.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And you treat your gun like crap, but it still looks good.....

IC B2

K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
OP, have you had the same situation with a Beretta or Winchester?

I don't have any experience with Berettas. My only Winchester is a 1938 Model 12 and I've only shot 2 3/4 inch lead for pheasants.

My last Benelli was an M2. I sold it when my dog died, but I don't recall it packing the same punch. That was six years ago, and memory is a fickle thing. That, and I shot mostly Kent Fast Steel loads back then. This is my first experience with both the SBE3 and BlindSide ammo, so there are more than a couple of variables involved.

I'll get it sorted out. Again, thanks for the pointers.

Last edited by K_P; 10/04/21.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've been shooting a SBE for 21 years....I like getting the hell kicked out of me.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by battue
Theres no fat or extra muscle to act as an intermediate sliding surface or spacer.

IMHO.

Whom do you think you would have the best odds of a center chest punch putting them on the floor...

Hook has a point .. heavier person is harder to move there for absorbs more recoil.. but perceived recoil is different for everyone

Last edited by ldholton; 10/04/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by battue

IMHO.

Hook has a point .. heavier person is harder to move there for absorbs more recoil.. but perceived recoil is different for everyone

Correct they absorb more recoil....like a brick wall absorbs more recoil and nothing moves or breaks...while the picket fence gets a post snapped off...
Many of the best competition shooters are big....and they suck up recoil like a brick wall...while the small ones, with a lot of shooting, more often end up with neck and shoulder issues because their bodies are less able to suck up the pound force of recoil...

Car hits the 4 inch tree and it snaps....car hits the 2 foot round Oak and the Oak is left standing....

One more and I’ll leave it….Mike Tyson hits Joe Frazier with a solid shoulder punch. Then he gives the same punch to some scrawny lightweight. Which one is most likely to come away damaged and sent into the ropes?

Last edited by battue; 10/04/21.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I shoot Sporting Clay's about once a week...sometimes more sometimes less... I carry around a crying towel just for the guys that whine about recoil.....this shell kicks too hard or that gun kicks too hard....bunch of winers.

When I taught my oldest grandson to shoot a shotgun he said pap paw this gun kicks....my reply was "get over it your big sister hits harder than that".

Then I shot the 870 youth with the factory brick bat pad and said damn it does kick....then put a Pachmeyer decelorator on it.

Someone at Remington needs their azzes whipped for putting those hard recoil pads on kids guns.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by K_P
I recently acquired a Benelli SBE3. It's a lefty--a rare find in my neighborhood.

I'm a big guy and generally don't notice recoil all that much, but test-firing this new shotgun with 3" 1 3/8 ounce Winchester Blind Side loads was an exercise in recoil management! I'm not sure if the light shotgun, the ammunition, or a combination of the two made for a stouter recoil but it had me searching Google for ways to tame the kick a bit.

Any suggestions?

Yep, it’s called a Beretta A400 or Remington V3 or Versamax, Winchester SX4 etc. Basically and descent gas gun that fits you. For example, my Beretta 390 mitigates recoil better than the Benellis carried by some of my hunting buddies. The Remington, Winchester and Browning gas guns do the same. We have all noticed it.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by K_P
I recently acquired a Benelli SBE3. It's a lefty--a rare find in my neighborhood.

I'm a big guy and generally don't notice recoil all that much, but test-firing this new shotgun with 3" 1 3/8 ounce Winchester Blind Side loads was an exercise in recoil management! I'm not sure if the light shotgun, the ammunition, or a combination of the two made for a stouter recoil but it had me searching Google for ways to tame the kick a bit.

Any suggestions?

Yep, it’s called a Beretta A400 or Remington V3 or Versamax, Winchester SX4 etc. Basically and descent gas gun that fits you. For example, my Beretta 390 mitigates recoil better than the Benellis carried by some of my hunting buddies. The Remington, Winchester and Browning gas guns do the same. We have all noticed it.

IF Beretta gives a better fit, and IF wrong side ejection is not a distraction, the A300 Ultima with a Trulock SK2 and Winchester Drylok 1300fps are practically grab n go. Flip safety and shim in a few minutes.

Couple IFs there, but there's probably another scenario that works the same.

Agree on hyper shells. 1300fps is my limit before headache. I can't prove it helps to shoot the same fps for everything.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
H
H
This is probably way too late but there is one more way to reduce FELT recoil. That is to stretch the amount of time the recoil is happening. For example a soft butt pad does not reduce the amount of recoil, but it does reduce felt recoil. While it is compressing it is soaking up energy and slowing down the punch of the full recoil. I starting using a +25% recoil spring. This is a stronger spring in the stock. With heavier loads it stops the bolt from coming to the rear of the gun so fast. The stronger spring is reducing the amount of felt recoil. With a light load you will get the opposite effect.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.