-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
8's are plenty of mag for Elk, I can easily spot bedded Bulls at well over a mile with my EL's. My setup is a pair of 8.5x42 EL's, and a Kowa 553 spotter. Never felt undergunned in the over 70 Bull hunts I've guided.

GB1

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys, keep em coming.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Esox357
What brand and magnification for elk hunting. Thinking 8 x42 or 10x42 for glassing on a mountain out into the parks? Like to stay in 1000.00 or under?

Check your PM message box for a good deal, if you want a set of high end binocs.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2five7
8's are plenty of mag for Elk, I can easily spot bedded Bulls at well over a mile with my EL's. My setup is a pair of 8.5x42 EL's, and a Kowa 553 spotter. Never felt undergunned in the over 70 Bull hunts I've guided.

Pretty strong testimonial there.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10x42 tracts

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
You want a 40-42 objective. No hunter has ever stood in the dark in the morning with 40’s, and wishing their objective lens was smaller when waiting for enough light to come through the lens to be able to see animals.

Ten power is the sweet spot, good for glassing at distance, good to allow you to ”see” deep into the cover where possible, and not too narrow of a view.

"He is far from Stupid"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
8 x 32 or 33 is perfect IMO. I prefer over the 42 objectives by a wide margin.

For the kind of elk hunting I do (in the mountains/backpacking) I'd always take a quality 32mm over a 42mm ten times out of ten. And actually, I prefer a good 8x32 over any 42mm for any kind of hunting, birding or wildlife viewing.

Me too……..

Me 3, unfortunately nobody's had the grand vision to plop an LRF onboard one yet.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGray
I've used Nikon 8x32's and Zeiss 10x40's in the past and am currently using German made Minox 8x42's. I paid less for the Minox than the Nikon and Zeiss and they are optically superior to both. I prefer 8x over 10x for still hunting which is most of the time for me. If I were doing a lot of spot and stalk hunting, I'd likely bypass 10x and go straight to 15x with a tripod.

Which Nikons? Budget Monarchs?

Friend, try Nikon's Premier LXL or EDG glass, and you very well may change that opinion.

Personally, I'd step over a pair of Swaros and Leicas to reach for Nikon EDGs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
8 x 32 or 33 is perfect IMO. I prefer over the 42 objectives by a wide margin.

For the kind of elk hunting I do (in the mountains/backpacking) I'd always take a quality 32mm over a 42mm ten times out of ten. And actually, I prefer a good 8x32 over any 42mm for any kind of hunting, birding or wildlife viewing.

Me too……..

Me 3, unfortunately nobody's had the grand vision to plop an LRF onboard one yet.

I know, and you'd think there would be a market demand for them. I'd be interested.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Those preferring the 32’s, is it mostly a weight thing?

I have/use both and much prefer 42’s.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Those preferring the 32’s, is it mostly a weight thing?

I have/use both and much prefer 42’s.

For me, yes.

Well, weight and overall size.

Last edited by skeen; 10/05/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be hard to go wrong giving Doug a call at CameralandNY and having a discussion with him. He won't steer you wrong and he knows his product as well as anyone I've ever talked to. And he has feedback from so many customers he knows where the weaknesses and strengths are in his products....

If that won't work for you, I would be looking for a used set of Swarovski SLC or EL that are in very good condition in 10 x 42 and never have to buy another set of binos again..... even if it is a little over your budget... I just got back from my first hunting trip with my Swaro 10 x 42 EL that replaced my old Leupold Porro Prism units and I smiled every time I used them. Picked them up used in like new condition for less than half new price....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by skeen

For me, yes.

Well, weight and overall size.

42mm binos get getting smaller and lighter, but yes, I like the 30-32mm because they can still fit under my coat or vest without the hassle of a Bino Bucket or Bino Bra......

Plus optics have become so good that the smaller size isn't a disadvantage under most hunting situations.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
You want a 40-42 objective. No hunter has ever stood in the dark in the morning with 40’s, and wishing their objective lens was smaller when waiting for enough light to come through the lens to be able to see animals.

Ten power is the sweet spot, good for glassing at distance, good to allow you to ”see” deep into the cover where possible, and not too narrow of a view.

A guy could say the same thing about 56 mm objectives.
Same with 65 mm vs 80 mm spotters. One has to draw the line somewhere and the find the best cost/benefit ratio for them and there's a lot more to consider than just objective diameter.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'll set up my 10.5X44s on the tripod and keep a pair of 8X33s in my bino harness when I'm moving and freehanding.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by JGray
I've used Nikon 8x32's and Zeiss 10x40's in the past and am currently using German made Minox 8x42's. I paid less for the Minox than the Nikon and Zeiss and they are optically superior to both. I prefer 8x over 10x for still hunting which is most of the time for me. If I were doing a lot of spot and stalk hunting, I'd likely bypass 10x and go straight to 15x with a tripod.

Which Nikons? Budget Monarchs?

Friend, try Nikon's Premier LXL or EDG glass, and you very well may change that opinion.

Personally, I'd step over a pair of Swaros and Leicas to reach for Nikon EDGs.

The Nikons I referred to were purchased in the early 1990's prior to the Premieres and I compared them to many others available at the time. I selected them over others costing considerably more because they were in my opinion the best available in my price range. I've heard nothing but good about the Premieres and wouldn't hesitate to go with them. A few years back, I was shopping for a replacement for my Zeiss 10x40 Classics and Doug at Cameraland steered me to the German Minox 8x42. With the price I paid, it was one of the best purchases I've ever made (nothing against the upper end Nikons).

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by T_Inman

A guy could say the same thing about 56 mm objectives.
Same with 65 mm vs 80 mm spotters. One has to draw the line somewhere and the find the best cost/benefit ratio for them and there's a lot more to consider than just objective diameter.

I have 40 and 56 OBJ binocs. The 56's stay at home 99% of the time, and my spotter is a slender, and lite weight 70mm.

There's give a take, no doubt. You just want to take the maximum that will not make you uncomfortable if there is a lot of hiking involved.

Stepping up from 32mm to 40mm OBJ gets you 56% more lens area / light gathering ability, and if that little bit of weight hinders a person's hiking, they need to get into better shape.

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 10/06/21.

"He is far from Stupid"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Stepping up from 32mm to 40mm OBJ gets you 25% more lens area / light gathering ability, and if that little bit of weight hinders a person's hiking, they need to get into better shape.

I grew up and live at 6000+ ft, am 65 years old, and can out hike (most) 40 year olds. As a guide, I’ve watched a LOT of over-geared, over-optic, over-gunned and over-clothed clients struggle with too much of everything.

I have 7x, 8x, and 10x Swaros, and a couple other binos too. If I had to choose one, it would be my 7x30 Swaros. Just like with a rifle, an extra 10-16 ozs in the hand or around the neck or in a bino bucket is a lot different than an extra 10 lbs around the middle……

Objective lens size is fair bit less important than the quality of glass and quality of the view.

The last three elk I killed I was carrying my 7x26 Bushnell Custom Compacts. They’re so small and light a guy can forget they are even there.

At 65 I’m carrying more scheit while hunting than I ever did at 35. Sometimes I wonder if things aren’t actually devolving….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Stepping up from 32mm to 40mm OBJ gets you 56% more lens area / light gathering ability, and if that little bit of weight hinders a person's hiking, they need to get into better shape.

I grew up and live at 6000+ ft, am 65 years old, and can out hike (most) 40 year olds. As a guide, I’ve watched a LOT of over-geared, over-optic, over-gunned and over-clothed clients struggle with too much of everything.

I have 7x, 8x, and 10x Swaros, and a couple other binos too. If I had to choose one, it would be my 7x30 Swaros. Just like with a rifle, an extra 10-16 ozs in the hand or around the neck or in a bino bucket is a lot different than an extra 10 lbs around the middle……

Objective lens size is fair bit less important than the quality of glass and quality of the view.

The last three elk I killed I was carrying my 7x26 Bushnell Custom Compacts. They’re so small and light a guy can forget they are even there.

At 65 I’m carrying more scheit while hunting than I ever did at 35. Sometimes I wonder if things aren’t actually devolving….

The only advantage of bigger OBJ is gaining a few extra minutes in the morning, and a few extra minutes at dusk of viewing ability. The rest of the day doesn’t really matter.

Each hunter has to decide what they want to max out on while weighing what there is to gain.

"He is far from Stupid"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Each hunter has to decide what they want to max out on while weighing what there is to gain.

In the end you are right.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (7x57Hunter, 35, alwaysoutdoors, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,414
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.