-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just returned from hunting Namibia with Karl Stumpfe-Ndumo Safaris, I think his website is www.huntingsafaris.net. I arrived in Windhoek, Namibia on 14 Aug. 07. I had booked a package hunt with Karl including 12 Springbok of which 10 were to be culls and two trophy animals that were exportable. In addition, two trophy Gemsbok and a trophy Kudu. I had let Karl know that I might be interested in Eland and Hartebeest as extra animals.

Fifteen days before I left for Namibia I managed to hurt my back. Apparently the C5 and C6 vertebra were brought a little too close together. I also managed to tear muscle and tendons from my right shoulder all the way down to my hand. A good portion of my right hand was numb, including my index finger-trigger finger. The upshot is that when I left for Africa I had not fired my rifle in over two weeks. The final load development was not complete. I was in a significant amount of pain, I had a lot of weakness all the way down my right arm and was pretty heavily medicated. It was a really strange way to start a safari.

I landed in Windhoek on schedule and just after sunset. Karl had provided me with the Namibian police form for my rifle and it was ready when I went to the police nook to complete the paperwork. I paid a $10 bribe to the police officer at his suggestion and was on my way. Karl met me as soon as I left the secure area.

Karl had made arrangements for us to stay in some tented chalets on a hunting farm about an hour or so from Windhoek for the first night. The accommodations were pretty lush for tents. Concrete slabs, permanent individual bath/restrooms and comfortable beds. The food was great and there were all types of beverages and refreshments. The next morning after breakfast, we started in Karl�s Landcruiser for the hunting property in the Kalahari Desert. It is a substantial drive from Windhoek.

The hunting camp was a very nice building with two private bedrooms with individual bath/restrooms. There was a full kitchen and a very nice porch area.

The first morning we started off just after sun-up. We had a light breakfast and did most of the mornings at my request. I am a pretty light eater and did not really wish Karl or the cook to go to much trouble or time for a breakfast that I would not eat.

The hunting area that we were in was huge. I don�t know that I saw more than a modest portion of it. One border of it was the boundary of Namibia with Botswana. In this location it was a double game fence. For the most part that was the only game type fence I saw in the area. There were misc. livestock fences for cattle and sheep but nothing that had an effect on game animals. There was no livestock in the area we hunted.

We immediately saw herds of animals. I think the first was 30 or so Hartebeest. There were Springbok everywhere. Karl wisely picked out a Springbok for me to cull almost immediately. I promptly made a poor shot on it. Karl and his two trackers spent the next 1 � hours and about 2 miles tracking it. They finally sorted it out of the 50 or so other Springbok that we came across and I shot it again and got it on the ground. In general terms I did not shoot well the entire trip. I probably shot 30% of animals well, 30% mediocre and the remainder poorly. To his credit Karl and his trackers found every single animal from which I drew blood and they worked their tails off to get me in a position to finish animals that I had wounded. Outstanding work on their part.

Here are a couple of the 12 Springbok that were taken, the two biggest ones were 14� and 13 10/16ths RW respectively:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The rifle is obviously a Martini and Hagn single shot. It is chambered in 300 win mag and has a S&B 1.1x4 Zenith Flashdot scope on it. The scope worked wonderfully well with that little red dot over the cross hairs. I turned the scope on and left it every day and had to change a battery exactly once. I suppose the 4x maximum power was a tad of a disadvantage on the 200yd+ shots, but it was not bad. The load was 69grs of H4831 in Winchester brass with WLR primers and 180gr Nosler partitions. I did not intend to take 180gr partitions to Africa but that was the last load I had tried before I hurt my back and had to stop load development. The bullet was running at 2875fps and the load was a pretty honest 1 �� shooter for three shots. The 180gr Nosler partition was a bit fragile on Springbok and did more damage than necessary on them. For the larger game it was pretty much adequate. A better constructed bullet might have done a nicer job, but the Nosler was not too bad.

I shot two Gemsbok, a cow and a bull. The cow was 39 15/16ths and the bull was 34 3/16ths RW. The cow was shot pretty poorly but after about 2 hours and at least two miles Karl and his guys got me in a position to finish here. Here they are:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Eland was running with 4 other bulls. Karl took one look at the big one I eventually took and said we have to get that one. At one point the whole bunch cleared a goat fence by about 5 feet. I have never seen animals that size jump so high. As they ran, Karl told me to shoot and lead the Eland by 2 feet. It was headed away at a very slight angle. I lead it by about 18 inches and the bullet went in behind the last rib and angled forward. It must have traversed the heart because the Eland was down in just a few steps with a great deal of blood coming from its nose and mouth. I would never have lead the Eland that far if Karl hadn�t said something. It went 38 4/16ths RW.

Here is the Eland:

[Linked Image]

On the evening of the same day the Eland and the bull Gemsbok were taken Karl located a lone Kudu bull. He immediately said it was a good one. I am glad he didn�t tell me how good or I would have been really nervous. It was standing looking at us and I shot it too far back. The bullet entered just behind the shoulder and angled back toward the off side rear leg. The Kudu went down in about 20 seconds or so. The trackers recovered the bullet when they field dressed it. The front core was gone but the rest of the bullet intact and seemed to have performed pretty well. The Kudu was 56 11/16ths RW. Here is a picture:

[Linked Image]

We had been at the Kalahari only five or six days but had pretty well hunted out everything I had come for. I had literally seen game animals that numbered in the thousands. Most were Springbok but there were herds of Kudu, Eland and Hartebeest as well. It was just an amazing experience.

We started back toward Windhoek but did stay one night in Gochas at the Stoney Country Hotel. It is a beautiful place and the food was great. Amazing to find a place like that so far from anything in a small town.

We ended up at a farm about an hour or two from Windhoek. This place was huge, maybe 50,000 acres. Karl told me that there were probably 1000 Hartebeest on it and the new SCI #1 had apparently been shot there in the last few months. A man named Oliver Hunter I believe and there was a story in a local paper about it. Something like 28� RW. Karl pointed a lone bull the next morning and I actually made a good shot on it. It was quartering away from us at maybe 200yds and I hit it back in the ribs and the bullet broke the off side shoulder. I was proud of myself for finally doing a good job. At least the last shot I fired in Africa on this trip was good. The only bad side was that when I pulled the trigger I felt the recoil in the toes of my right foot. Nothing like a right side back injury to help. The Hartebeest I took was 23 10/16ths RW. The picture is here:

[img]http://www.amerinemechanical.com/hunting/Hartebeest_1_resize.jpg[/img]

Karl took all these pictures with my little Cannon SD1000 camera. He also took pictures with his big SLR type digital. He is going to burn a CD and send it along presently. I was amazed at the care and trouble that Karl and his guys took to arrange the pictures, clean up the animals and insure that the photos were of top quality. He obviously understands how important the pictures are once the hunter is home. A class act all around.

I had an amazing trip. I consider myself very lucky to have taken the animals that I did. Of course hunting with someone of the professionalism of Karl Stumpfe might just have a hand in that luck.

I took 17 animals total, 10 were Springbok culls but it looks like 4 of the remaining 7 might qualify for the Roland-Ward, Napha or SCI book. I don�t know that I�ll have them officially measured, maybe so but I do know that I am going to hunt with Karl again. Here is a picture of me and most of the horns at the taxidermist.

[img]http://www.amerinemechanical.com/hunting/All_horns_1_resize.jpg[/img]

Josh

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I almost forgot, we topped a sand dune one evening and I snapped this picture.

Josh

[Linked Image]

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great report Josh. Thanks for the great pictures as well. Did you take any of the living accomodations & mess area? I'd be interested to see that as well. Some great trophies, thanks again for sahring the great pictures. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pics and story. Thanks for sharing.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jorge, I forgot to take any pictures of the accomodations in the Kalahari. Those are about to be replaced by the owners. The owners were telling us that they have two architects working on competing plans and that the new accomodations are going to be spectacular. Karl may have taken some of the existing ones.

I do have a few shots of the farm that was outside Windhoek, I'll try to get them up so you can have a look.

Josh

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Great story - Great photos.
The landscape in the photos, plus the hat you're wearing, make it look like you were hunting in Texas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great hunt

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
well done!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the compliments guys, it was the most amazing experience. Sitting here at the house I can barely believe that I was 10,000 miles from here last week hunting in Africa. Especially since I have never been anywhere or done anything in my whole life. Colorado is the farthest I had ever been away from home before this hunt. I'm going back as soon as I can afford it and thereafter everytime I can afford it. I am done spending money hunting in north America. I just didn't know hunting like that existed.

Balder, it did look just like west Texas. I felt completely at home. As a matter of fact, Karl was telling me that some moron had imported some mesquite trees to Namibia and they were taking over some of the water ways. Whoever did that needs hung from one of those mesquites. Lots of the other trees looked like cousins to the mesquite, camel thorn maybe.

One heck of a trip, no other way to describe it.

Josh

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Josh. Now begins the waiting time for the trophy mounts and planning for the next trip of course! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
now comes the sticker shock of trophy shipments

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Terrific Trophies all the way around. Thanks for taking the time to post. The Kudu and the Eland should score quite well should you decide to have them meaasuered. By ANY reasonable measuremnt a great hunt and experience!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I had an amazing trip. I consider myself very lucky to have taken the animals that I did. Of course hunting with someone of the professionalism of Karl Stumpfe might just have a hand in that luck.

Thanks for your kind words Josh. Hope your back is doing well, and I am looking forward to see you in Africa again!

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
SharpShooter,

We were there in the Kalahri the week before you and hell the place blew my mind away.

And yes Karl does go very far to make sure you take the best pictures home.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Karl, I am going to be back as soon as I can manage it. As to my spine, the Doc finally got an MRI done and got a look at it on Friday. He called in emergency mode and told me not to jar my spine or do any lifting etc. Seems they were expecting a 1.5 to 2mm bulge in a disc. What they found was a 10mm blowout. I am glad I didn't find out before I left for Africa.

They'll fix it and I'll be back to hunt some more.

Take care,
Josh

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (160user, 2500HD, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,612
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.