Print Thread
Hop To
#1644991 08/31/07
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Can any one recomend anything or help with the pros and cons on the different types of cams? Single, double, or the cam and 1/2?

GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I am looking at getting a bow to use for a lot of free time shooting that will be used down the road for deer and hopefully elk... any recomends on bows? looking to get full package around $800-900.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Take a look over at Archerytalk.com - more info than you can believe.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a Ross 334, it is the best bow I have ever shot, bar none. It's not a speed freak but it's smoothness and shootablity out weigh it's "slow" 305FPS IBO rating. It comes from the factory with a $100 set of custom winners choice strings and cables. All for $150-$200 less than it's competition. Here is the website address, if there is a dealer near you I would suggest you try one for your self and see what you think.

www.rossarchery.com

[Linked Image]

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you're new to archery, buy locally. Buy for service, not the bow. Most modern bows really aren't all that different, but if you can't get the help when you need it, you have a problem.
If you only plan to target shoot this year, go lower priced on the sights, etc. If you're like the rest of us, you'll want to change later (maybe several times) and it's easier to replace a $40 rest than a $100 one. The same goes for the arrows. Only buy a 1/2 doz to start with. You'll likely want to change later and that way you won't have a bunch of unused high dollar arrows lying around for the next 10 years.

There's one possible exception...a quiver. Some bows can be bought with a custom fit quiver that's designed to fit that particular bow. If you plan to keep the bow for a while, you might not be able to get the quiver in 6 months when they change models again.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Single cam is state of the art right now,easier to tune and keep in tune.JMO

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks for the advice. I am only new to the gear aspect of archery right now. I used to shoot a lot with just a recurve while my dad practiced with his compound before i could pull it. we kinda stopped for the past years bein busy with sports. I want to get back into it and I'd steal his but he's a lefty. Shot here and there but never paid attention to the bows i used.

- i heard that single cam bows sometimes have problems with accuricy tho because the knock doesn't follow a completely straight path forward. How much effect does that truly have or is it more of if the bow is tuned?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Single cam + 1 smile
Cam and a half = if you have to have it, but I'm not sold...seems like its still a 2 cam bow. smirk
2 cam bow = cheapest laugh
As far as the last statement you made about the single cam accuracy nock path....I personally believe its a cam and a half sales Gimmik......why else would single cam bows dominate the archery competition industry?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A PROPERLY RIGGED single cam will shoot more accurately than the guy holding it. By properly rigged, I mean correctly tuned and with the right sized arrows.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned and shot single, double, and hybrid cams over the last 20+ years - to be honest they have all shot well. This has been proven over and over by top professional shooters. They switch companies every year and it's still the same few guys at the top of the leader boards. Bow companies just keep re-inventing the wheel to sell new $800 bows to anyone who will bite. More than the cam design the bow must fit the shooter to be shot well. Regardless of which design you choose make sure it fits you, then pick up quality accessories and find a coach to help you with technique. You'll be smoking the X ring in no time.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks for the tips, I think i am sold. I cant buy it until next month though, but I ll write about what I get and how it shoots. Thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1badf350, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 55 invisible), 3,407 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,717
Posts18,534,956
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.