Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, stupid question maybe, but you guys don't process bucks the same as does, do you? I've always cut off the tarsal glands asap, and, as some on here have mocked, don't hang head down.

YMMV

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Never worried about tarsal glands.
Used ta cut em off, use em as scent drags into a stand then
Hang em up 35 50 yds down wind.
Would ask people at the kill shack if I could get their tarsal glands.
Keep em in a freezer bag between hunts.
Lot of times I wouldn't bother washing my hunting clothes after gutting out a buck.
Just change clothes in the garage and keep the tarsal scent in the clothes.

Used to do alot of scent things.
It all worked to varying degrees.

Just hunt the wind and terrian/ prime travel corridors around feeding and bedding areas now.

I have always hung a deer head up to age for 3 or 4 days then head down to skin.
Slumlord does head down.

Dont think it really matters after intial bleed out while dying and then getting gutted out.
That heart aint pumping no more.
And any settlement of blood or body fluid is just gravity and natural anyways , throw in old timer urban legend advice about such matters.
Lotta old timer advice when I was growing up was just old timers who killed very few deer just wanting to run their pieholes wanting to sound like the was giving unquestioned sage advice to heed..

The only old timers I listened too where ones I actually knew that killed deer like my uncles Groff, Brett, and Dana on the Morrison side of the family and my Gramps.

Advice coming outta drunken or self declared frenchman friends or family old fuggs was pretty much urban legend schit trying to sound "experienced" bullschit....

Basically knowing who has real cred...

pics of yrs ago we have all seen.
Vast majority on game poles are heads up.
But you can bet they was then hung head down to skin and butcher up major meat for futher processing

Hanging head down is natrual while skinning and butcher down sequence.

Last edited by renegade50; 10/15/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If hung I've always done head down as I don't do much with neck meat so let the leftover blood pool there instead of hams.

Does no different from bucks.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
Lot of times I wouldn't bother washing my hunting clothes after gutting out a buck.

Just hunt the wind and terrian/ prime travel corridors around feeding and bedding areas now.

I have always hung a deer head up to age for 3 or 4 days then head down to skin.
Slumlord does head down.

Dont think it really matters after intial bleed out while dying and then getting gutted out.
And any settlement of blood or body fluid is just gravity and natural anyways , throw in old timer urban legend advice about such matters.
Lotta old timer advice when I was growing up was just old timers who killed very few deer just wanting to run their pieholes wanting to sound like the was giving unquestioned sage advice to heed..

The only old timers I listened too where ones I actually knew that killed deer like my uncles Groff, Brett, and Dana on the Morrison side of the family and my Gramps.

Advice coming outta drunken or self declared frenchman friends or family old fuggs was pretty much urban legend schit trying to sound exoerienced bullschit....

But you can beat they was then hung head down to skin and butcher up major meat for futher processing

A lot of people say used tampons work really well. Works even better if you microwave them first. Lol

I’ll just stick with old fashioned techniques I guess….

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
If hung I've always done head down as I don't do much with neck meat so let the leftover blood pool there instead of hams.

Does no different from bucks.

Same

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by renegade50

Slumlord does head down.

Advice coming outta drunken or self declared frenchman friends or family old fuggs was pretty much urban legend schit trying to sound exoerienced bullschit....

But you can beat they was then hung head down to skin and butcher up major meat for futher processing

A lot of people say used tampons work really well. Works even better if you microwave them first. Lol

I’ll just stick with old fashioned techniques I guess….

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

307 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 26 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.