-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same in Montana, illegal to use for hunting but not illegal to have in your daypak for emergency use.

Read some pretty funny stories over the years where F&G has monitored hunters using them while plotting and planing illegal hunting activities. "got a another deer down over here, we need one of those extra tags".

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve read some funny stories too.

Interesting how you can be on a Coast Guard channel in WV with no issues.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My brother and I talk at noon most of the time. If I hear a shot and I think its him, I’m on it, if it wasn’t him he never responds.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Why should they be allowed to use them and us not?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just because it's law doesn't mean it's right. The sheep need to follow orders and have their papers ready for slaughter.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

IC B2

AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We use these bear hunting in VA and they work great. Better than a marine handheld VHF.

My son bought a couple of these BaoFeng UV-82HP. We tried them side-by-side with my old Motorola Talkabouts and they were a little better but not by much. However the Baofengs are a lot more versatile with both UHF, VHF, and emergency channels. I was surprised that the marine band setting didnt work as well as other bands, I'm thinking its because the marine band is UHF.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a lot of experience in radio since the 80s, and the conclusion I reached long ago is that receiver quality is by far the most important aspect of two-way communications.

Some of the trunk-mounted GE two-way systems had "UHS," or "ultra-high sensitivity" front ends that made significant differences in performance. Transmit power is the wrong focus. Receiver sensitivity is where it's at.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Though not exactly a two way radio system, texting via InReach and the EarthMate App is pretty reliable too.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by AZmark
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
We use these bear hunting in VA and they work great. Better than a marine handheld VHF.

My son bought a couple of these BaoFeng UV-82HP. We tried them side-by-side with my old Motorola Talkabouts and they were a little better but not by much. However the Baofengs are a lot more versatile with both UHF, VHF, and emergency channels. I was surprised that the marine band setting didnt work as well as other bands, I'm thinking its because the marine band is UHF.

No it isn’t

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We still use our Icom radios which are rated at 5 watts but actually output 8 watts. They work great. Bought them in 98.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We have used them, but where we hunt, the hills make them useless in many cases. You have to walk to a ridge top or over the ridge to talk to your buddy, IF he's where you think it is. If everybody is up high in the hill, then no problem. I'd hate to depend on them to save my neck in Eastern KY. We can only get cell phone service up on 2 ridges in certain spots. I usually have to drive a few miles to call home at night.

Last edited by reivertom; 10/24/21.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by reivertom
We have used them, but where we hunt, the hills make them useless in many cases. You have to walk to a ridge top or over the ridge to talk to your buddy, IF he's where you think it is. If everybody is up high in the hill, then no problem. I'd hate to depend on them to save my neck in Eastern KY. We can only get cell phone service up on 2 ridges in certain spots. I usually have to drive a few miles to call home at night.

Use to be that way for us, back before the early 2000’s. Now we have no issues. The Standard Horizon HX370’s have worked for us. I’m sure they are outdated these days but we use them with no issues.

Last edited by MarkWV; 10/24/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Marine Band. They're not just for boats.

Thats the ticket right there. They are a lowband Freq. and will bend over the hills plus have enough power to be used for several miles and the big bonus is very little traffic if any at all. Just heard from a friend.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,642
Posts18,493,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.