Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I have a 2012 452 American. I picked it up gently used in 2013 for $525 with 14 boxes of S+K Plus. Trigger has a Yo Dave spring in it. Stock was kind of [bleep] from the factory. Checkering did not press well.

I was able to get a new stock from CZ, DIP trigger guard, 1" red Pachmayr pad for the LOP increase topped with Talley fixed rings and a gloss Leupold 6x33 ultralight with the LRD. It is such a nice rifle. Shoots very well. 10 shot groups right at one inch at 100 yards with CCI SV and just under an inch with the S+K Plus.

It's one of the few rifles that I would never consider selling. I picked up a 2014 452 Scout for my boys a couple years ago for $300 and am keeping my eye out for another so the each have their own.

In lieu of a decent priced 452 one can always look for a BRNO 1 or 2 which are the predecessors to the 452 and every bit as good or better IMO.

Semper Fi

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by RickF
I much prefer the older technology 452 with the sleeker contours, and the barrel threaded and screwed into the action like a real rifle.

They are routinely very unfussy regarding ammo and extremely accurate. Not Anschutz 54 accurate but close. If you shoot groups at only 50 yards you should expect ragged hole accuracy. As mentioned above though some are better than others.

I too am a fan of the 452's but I do feel the need to point out that the Anschutz 54 which you raise in accuracy comparison has a barrel that is pressed and pinned, not threaded and screwed.

drover

You bet, but it’s not the same process as the 455. The Anschutz is a tight pressure fit.

Like I said the 455s shoot, I just prefer the older method.

Last edited by RickF; 11/22/21.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cznut
I would not pay over 500.00 for one, I have owned a dozen or more of them over the years, some were great, some were not, factory rifles are a luck of the draw thing, even CZ's.....dont get me wrong I like them and they are decent quality, check the user name.

$500 is unrealistic if you are talking the "American" or the predecessor to the American which I believe was called the "Classic". I paid about $400 for my first "American" locally about 15 years ago, before the internet was that useful for finding gun deals. Now that they have been discontinued (a few years ago), and the existing stock has dried up, you'll be quite unlikely to find one for $500. Adding a left-hand on top of that makes it even more unlikely.

But to be fair, you did say that You... "would not pay over 500.00 for one"

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by drover
I much prefer the older technology 452 with the sleeker contours, and the barrel threaded and screwed into the action like a real rifle.

They are routinely very unfussy regarding ammo and extremely accurate. Not Anschutz 54 accurate but close. If you shoot groups at only 50 yards you should expect ragged hole accuracy. As mentioned above though some are better than others.

I too am a fan of the 452's but I do feel the need to point out that the Anschutz 54 which you raise in accuracy comparison has a barrel that is pressed and pinned, not threaded and screwed.

drover

You bet, but it’s not the same process as the 455. The Anschutz is a tight pressure fit.

Like I said the 455s shoot, I just prefer the older method.

Yep, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat and most any one of them works.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just listed this LH 452 American 2E model in the Classifieds for a friend.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16658104#Post16658104

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by haverluk
I have a 2012 452 American. I picked it up gently used in 2013 for $525 with 14 boxes of S+K Plus. Trigger has a Yo Dave spring in it. Stock was kind of [bleep] from the factory. Checkering did not press well.

I was able to get a new stock from CZ, DIP trigger guard, 1" red Pachmayr pad for the LOP increase topped with Talley fixed rings and a gloss Leupold 6x33 ultralight with the LRD. It is such a nice rifle. Shoots very well. 10 shot groups right at one inch at 100 yards with CCI SV and just under an inch with the S+K Plus.

It's one of the few rifles that I would never consider selling. I picked up a 2014 452 Scout for my boys a couple years ago for $300 and am keeping my eye out for another so the each have their own.

In lieu of a decent priced 452 one can always look for a BRNO 1 or 2 which are the predecessors to the 452 and every bit as good or better IMO.

I probably sold you that gun and ammo lol. I’ve bought a few since as well. I just picked up a threaded American with a Simmons Aetec scope for $350-400. I don’t recall the exact amount but high side was $400 with transfer fee. I did buy the Seller lunch so there’s that.

For LH, DF is correct in pricing. I know some find a rare gun at a lower than market price. I’ve been watching for a 452 LH for under $500 for my young son and those deals aren’t found online at least. I don’t hit LGS, etc. much but the ones I have are low on used gun inventory.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I remember the CZ had poor checkering and CZ didn’t respond after their initial reply to investigate. The checkering was ugly/semi unfinished and I put the trigger kit in. I recall throwing a bunch of S+K ammo in when it was unobtanium so I bet it’s the same gun. One of the CZs I sold I added a single shot mag with. If it was you glad to hear you got a new stock though I suspect CZ charged you though I hope not.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think sub-$700 CZs make a lot of sense. I’ve not tried Bergara or Tikkas latest offerings. I had an Annie 54 and beyond the weight difference it cost a lot more. It was more indifferent to ammo but when you find the right ammo CZs are pretty impressive for the cost and weight. If you add in DIPs mag well, bottom metal, al mag plate, and rail it adds a bit but not in the Anschutz 54 sphere. Someday, I’d love to buy a Fortner Sporter but I need to start shooting some guns I own before buying more.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Absolutely worth it! I love my 452 American and it shoot better than the heavily modified 10/22 Ruger with match bull barrel, Volquartsen trigger assembly that i have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never been sorry I bought one as soon as they became available.

It's doubtful you would ever regret buying one.

IC B3

B
B
I am looking at paying one. Seems that people really like them. Thanks for all the information.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by cznut
I would not pay over 500.00 for one, I have owned a dozen or more of them over the years, some were great, some were not, factory rifles are a luck of the draw thing, even CZ's.....dont get me wrong I like them and they are decent quality, check the user name.

$500 is unrealistic if you are talking the "American" or the predecessor to the American which I believe was called the "Classic". I paid about $400 for my first "American" locally about 15 years ago, before the internet was that useful for finding gun deals. Now that they have been discontinued (a few years ago), and the existing stock has dried up, you'll be quite unlikely to find one for $500. Adding a left-hand on top of that makes it even more unlikely.

But to be fair, you did say that You... "would not pay over 500.00 for one"

Jerry

You paid 400$ in 2006? I thought they were much less than that then. IIRC; I think I paid 330$ or 350$ for my 452 American brand new in 2015.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by gremcat
I remember the CZ had poor checkering and CZ didn’t respond after their initial reply to investigate. The checkering was ugly/semi unfinished and I put the trigger kit in. I recall throwing a bunch of S+K ammo in when it was unobtanium so I bet it’s the same gun. One of the CZs I sold I added a single shot mag with. If it was you glad to hear you got a new stock though I suspect CZ charged you though I hope not.

Yes, it is the rifle you sold me. It truly is one of my favorites! Especially after those couple upgrades… I don’t exactly recall if CZ charged me for the replacement stock. I think they covered that one. I still have a small stash of that S+K. I picked up a couple cases of CCI SV and has been my go too for a while now.

Semper Fi

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't forget build quality...Accuracy is probably "good enough" with all unless one's a competitor.

Regarding 452 vs 455 vs 457, only one is built like Winchester 52s and Cooper 57Ms.

I have a friend with a laser-like shooting 452 and he thought enough of the build and polished finish that he commissioned a
$2000+ Canyon Creek stock for it.

I doubt anyone will do that with a cheap modular 455 or 457 no matter how well they shoot...Tom

L
L
Heck yes! buy one and enjoy. Mine is super accurate and a joy to shoot

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.