Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Got out yesterday with a buddy and his son. There are no acorns in the woods this year, and deer and squirrel have been few and far between. Found a bunch yesterday though. Went 5-6 and felt pretty good about it.
Slit below the tail and peel off the pajamas....

Happy fall, all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have many from last year in the freezer, so started out with Irons this season.....harder to see at my age now, but I have taken several with handgun and rifle........

I pass on the grays and just target Fox squirrels, alot more meat on them. Btw, cook in a pressure cooker about an hour, debone and substitute for Chicken in Gumbo......or just eat with BBQ sauce.......though I did eat a couple fried last night, better than chicken smile

Last edited by 65BR; 11/28/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
Well hot dog, deer hunted a new area on east Tx public land and found the holy grail of squirrel hunting! I got a nice doe but the important part was the incredible numbers of squirrels. Can hunt with a 22 rimfire so icing on the cake. The other thing is there are plenty of feral hogs there also. Might end up using my Marlin 22 magnum as a dual purpose tool.

I almost pulled the trigger with my buckmark centered on a very large hog's head about 40 yds, a few weeks back........had I had a rifle, especially a WMR, I would not have hesitated. I was also mulling over the laws on the management area I was in.........found out later I was good to go.....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image from flic.kr]

I dunno what I’m missing about uploading/sharing a photo…. Hosted on [bleep], size is <2mb…??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try putting .jpg on the end maybe??

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Maybe Flick r is on the banned wagon. 🤷‍♂️

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got outsmarted by one this afternoon. If I had been carrying the shotgun it would have been a dead rodent but I had the Kimber with me and the little bugger spotted me first and kept moving and moving and moving. Never could get a shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another day.....I know you have that area/tree marked wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hunted on some TVA land that I hadn't hunted on yet this season, spotted these two late afternoon and the Kimber scores again.

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Hunted on some TVA land that I hadn't hunted on yet this season, spotted these two late afternoon and the Kimber scores again.

Your photo, which as usual is outstanding, inspired me to get out my Kimber K22, do some trigger work to lower it a bit more then check accuracy once more. These Kimber K22 are awesome in looks and accuracy.
Have you made a scope change on yours yet? While I like the new Burris rimfire scopes......a lot......, I still love the custom shop 6X Leupold I have on mine. That's a scope you might want to checkout once Leupold gets their custom shop back up and running again.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
IF I get to try a different scope it will be a while. I want to try different things but it takes long periods of time to work up the money anymore. The Leupold 2-7 serves perfectly for the vast majority of the shots that I take though, I don't know why I get the "change things itch" LOL! I would like to have a compact 3-9x32 or 33mm, Leupold or Burris, to keep things as much as possible USA made, but those scopes have gotten both expensive and harder to find these days. The Sightron 3-9x32mm looks good, but that's all I know about it. The Clearidge 3-9x32mmAO has a good reputation. I had a Weavver RV9 on the K22 before this Leupold and should have left it alone. That's what that change itch does for me. Dummy.
I saw your post about the trigger. I had mine adjusted to about 2-1/2 pounds because of the nerve disorder that I have (CIDP) which kills a lot of touch sensitivity and I had been having some accidental discharges when shooting in the cold with gloves on. I've gotten some feeling back plus I haven't hunted in any very cold weather, so I readjusted my trigger to 1-1/2 pounds, which makes accurate shooting much easier. I think that I could change springs in the trigger assembly and get it down to 1 pound, but that would get dangerous for me, as I could fire the rifle without any sensation of touching the trigger with it that low. With the sear engagement set as it is the trigger breaks very cleanly and predictably, so it's fairly easy to use. I'd say best trigger I've ever used.

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
[quote=Phillip_Nesmith]IF I get to try a different scope it will be a while. I want to try different things but it takes long periods of time to work up the money anymore. The Leupold 2-7 serves perfectly for the vast majority of the shots that I take though, I don't know why I get the "change things itch" LOL! I would like to have a compact 3-9x32 or 33mm, Leupold or Burris, to keep things as much as possible USA made, but those scopes have gotten both expensive and harder to find these days. The Sightron 3-9x32mm looks good, but that's all I know about it. The Clearidge 3-9x32mmAO has a good reputation. I had a Weavver RV9 on the K22 before this Leupold and should have left it alone. That's what that change itch does for me. Dummy.
I saw your post about the trigger. I had mine adjusted to about 2-1/2 pounds because of the nerve disorder that I have (CIDP) which kills a lot of touch sensitivity and I had been having some accidental discharges when shooting in the cold with gloves on. I've gotten some feeling back plus I haven't hunted in any very cold weather, so I readjusted my trigger to 1-1/2 pounds, which makes accurate shooting much easier. I think that I could change springs in the trigger assembly and get it down to 1 pound, but that would get dangerous for me, as I could fire the rifle without any sensation of touching the trigger with it that low. With the sear engagement set as it is the trigger breaks very cleanly and predictably, so it's fairly easy to use. I'd say best trigger I've ever used. [/quote

Boy am I with you on the "change things itch". While I brag on the 6X Leupold the custom shop did for me, I still got the "change things itch" and found a Burris (USA made) 3-9X32 AO Mini scope. Put that on the Kimber K22 (mine is a Classic) then later decided I liked the 6X better. Seems I even had a Burris Droptine 3-9 on it at one time also. I've even done the same with a Kimber HS.
It is the Kimber HS I would like to change triggers in. Not a biggie if I don't find one. The trigger in the Kimber Classic is set at 1lb and is a joy to shoot. That does help enormously in accuracy. The Kimber HS is at 1 3/4lbs and will not go any lower safely. That rifle I put in a Kimber Varmint stock and being a bit heavier than the Classic I can get by with a little more trigger pull weight off the bench. Both rifles are extremely accurate with RWS Subsonics which is a good thing since I have plenty. I can't imagine trying to shoot either one with winter gloves on and triggers that light.
I agree with you, Kimber triggers are awesome, especially for a factory installed trigger.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Afternoon woods jaunt, saw absolutely nothing. Should have been out early this morning I guess.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I just discovered this great thread! I love squirrel hunting most of all, especially early Fall when they are in the treetops. I killed 58 greys this year with my Benelli Ultralight 20ga 24" barrel. I still hunt some with my .22lr's (CZ 452 and CZ 455) but not as much as when my eye's were younger....Keep up the great posts 👍....Hb

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I just discovered this great thread! I love squirrel hunting most of all, especially early Fall when they are in the treetops. I killed 58 greys this year with my Benelli Ultralight 20ga 24" barrel. I still hunt some with my .22lr's (CZ 452 and CZ 455) but not as much as when my eye's were younger....Keep up the great posts 👍....Hb

Look forward to hearing about your Squirrel hunting adventures.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah man! Squirrel hunting adventures are the best.......Hb

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Windfall
The high price of squirrel!!! The wife was talking with her daughter yesterday and I about choked when I heard that she is paying an exterminator $399.00 to take out what sounds like two squirrels that are getting into her attic. They just bought a nice place in a Nashville suburb and some guy is trying to trap the squirrels using a live trap and peanut butter, but with no results and for that kind of money! I just shake my head because any kid with a pellet gun would probably do it for the stew meat. I got on the phone and told her just use half a cob of corn in the trap or get your own pellet gun. Then she tells me that they think they are getting a deal because their neighbor payed a guy $10,000. to get rid of his squirrels and patch a hole where they were getting in! Unreal how ignorant and gullible some people can be.

Jeebus! I need to move there with my Daisy 880, my Havahart, and a frying pan!

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as this came up again, now as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story. These people are absolutely paranoid and irrational about any kind of guns and it turns out that the trapper never got their squirrel. They have surveillance cameras everywhere, and I mean everywhere even in the bathroom, and one day they were checking their outside camera and darned it the neighborhood cat didn't get the squirrel! No charge too. smile Since we are a week out from a visit there on our way south, I'm going to ask the guys in the handgun forum how to deal with their paranoia about guns because target shooting is what we do down there with the gun club.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
These yearly threads are going to have me buying a Kimber. Nothing wrong with my CZ, but that’s never stopped me.

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Cheesy
These yearly threads are going to have me buying a Kimber. Nothing wrong with my CZ, but that’s never stopped me.

You will not regret doing it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1234, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.