Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not enough to choose from..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kevinJ
My 2018 f150 ecoboost has had 20g in warranty work now

At 59000 miles

Hard pass on Ford for me now

My 2018 F150 crew xlt 2.7 has been problem free and is a great truck. Almost 40k miles on it. Plus I was lucky and bought it "new" w/ 2000 miles (after the owner of the dealership drove it for 6 months) for $32k. I could probably sell it for more than that today.

The thinking of huge depreciation driving it off the lot isn't quite so true right now IME. Good Condition used trucks are selling for almost as much as new ones!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ram will have the best ride empty, the 5.7 hemi and 8 speed has proven to be reliable. I've had a 2011 and a 2015 and no complaints. It's a little more saggy in the rear with a heavy load.

Ford - 5.0 is good, some debate over the eco-boost. Still running leaf springs in the the rear and is most expensive of the big 3.

GM - well just look up the MDS cam failure epidemic. I wouldn't touch anything new made by GM aside from the c8 vette .

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't really expect an objective response from this bunch of jugheads, did you? wink

I'm a Chevy fan, and between me and my three brothers, my son, and several nephews we have owned probably 20-30 Chevs over the last 30 years. Very, very little trouble with any of them. I could go on and on but I have figured out one thing about trucks - IMO, it would be hard to buy a bad truck these days... trucks are built better, have better engines and drive trains, are quieter, get better gas mileage, and just generally last longer than any generation of trucks before. They even back up their trucks with much longer and more inclusive warranties than ever before... Buy what you think looks best and is most comfortable and you'll be fine with your truck... I'm really liking the looks of my 2015 Chev 1/2 ton Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 and my son's 2021 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra 4x4 crew cab and both of our last Chev trucks went well over 200K miles before we wanted new trucks... but you do you and try to forget what everyone on this site has to say about the matter.... LOL wink

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 10/25/21.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
If I were going to buy a new pickup today, it wouldn't be a GM or Ram... laugh

Kinda narrows the field for me. wink
Ditto... I'm just wondering if the OP can even FIND a new truck!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I'd say whatever one could be procured within my time-frame to purchase.

FJB & FJT
D
dpd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
[quote=rockinbbar]If I were going to buy a new pickup today, it wouldn't be a GM or Ram... laugh

Kinda narrows the field for me. wink
Ditto... I'm just wondering if the OP can even FIND a new truck!

[/quote

Yes I saw several new Fords and Dodges yesterday. I even saw a few of the UGLY Toyota’s

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I guess just about everyone here knows how I feel about 2009 and newer obamamobiles. Lots of folks bitched and moaned about the bailouts, free money, and stock buying, back when it happened, but lots of folks seem to have forgot and now buy obamamobiles.

When gm pays back the 11.5 billion dollars that obama gave them for worthless stock (actually obama used our tax money to buy gm stock and then sold it back before he left office at a 11.5 billion dollar loss), I might buy gm products made after 2009. But until then, 'Fug gm, fug obama, and while I'm at it, fug biden'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Ram will have the best ride empty, the 5.7 hemi and 8 speed has proven to be reliable. I've had a 2011 and a 2015 and no complaints. It's a little more saggy in the rear with a heavy load.

Ford - 5.0 is good, some debate over the eco-boost. Still running leaf springs in the the rear and is most expensive of the big 3.

GM - well just look up the MDS cam failure epidemic. I wouldn't touch anything new made by GM aside from the c8 vette .

Hey because of the chip shortage the DFM is inoperable. grin

I would be leery of a Ford 5.0 because the cylinder liners are sprayed in. My ecoboost was bought back with 6k on the odometer.

Toyota Tundra no thanks and I owned a 2017.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 10/25/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'd get a ford. however, i've owned a few chevys and they were good trucks. i live on a farm, so my farm truck gets beat up. just about every farmer i know drives either a ford or a chevy. few dodges in my area.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Toyota would be my first pick and Ford my second. Remember before you start the "made in USA" rant, none of the "big 3" trucks would even run without foreign parts. Does the Chip shortage ring a bell? Whatever you do Don't buy a GM or Dodge, unless the GM is a 20 year old garage queen....they were decent back then.

D
dpd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I would be leery of a Ford 5.0 because the cylinder liners are sprayed in. My ecoboost was bought back with 6k on the odometer.

Ok where can I find out about the cylinder liners being sprayed in ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dpd
I’m looking to buy a new truck in the next couple months. Half ton , crew cab, 4x4 , gas v8 . Looking for opinions from owners on reliability , overall satisfaction.

1) Bling.

2) Dependability.

3) Price.

Pick your poison. Everyone is different.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We're on our 3rd new ford in the aluminum (current body). All have been 2.7 eco boost. All have been crew cab 4x4, first 2 were XLT, the latest is a lariat.

They've all been very good for us but we've also not kept them much past 40k. These have been my wife's trucks, I drive an F250 with 150+k on it. We keep mine around for heavy towing and we mount a V snow plow on it in the winter. Our fords have been great, I've never owned a new GM or ram truck so I can't give owner experience on those. I've tried used GM and have come up.... scorned.

If I had the money to not care... I'd try a new GMC, being fully prepared to hate it, but I'd try it if I was silly with money and bored or something.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dodge

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In the past 9 years I've had a 2012 5.7 Ram, a 2015 3.5 Ecoboost F15, a 2019 5.7 Ram Laramie and a few weeks ago got a 2021 2500 6.4 Hemi Tradesman with off road package. My 2019 was involved in 2 fender benders, but no issues with any of the trucks themselves.

I like Ford seats a bit better. I love not having to use an actual key and the rotary shifter in the Ram. New Chevys are ugly!

I really liked the Ecoboost, especially in Sport mode, but I think the Hemi will likely be less trouble in the long haul.

In the end, look at them all and then get the prettiest one.

Last edited by bufaf; 10/25/21.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by dpd
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Ok where can I find out about the cylinder liners being sprayed in ?

I too would like to learn about spraying new cylinders, I've got a 409 chev that might need one cylinder...... sprayed. lol

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just went through through this. Decided on the Ram. Hemi is super reliable and plenty of power. Ram offers a ton of options in the Bighorn 2 equipment package. I was driving a 2012 F150 king ranch. The Bighorn 2 gives me all the options I had on the king ranch except leather seats. I do seatcovers any way. To option a new ford similar to my Ram would of been about 8 grand more. Other than the Ram logo there aint much difference in the layout and the interior features of a F 150.

Got about 1000 miles of mainly city driving and I am running a tick over 17 mpg. Of course some of that is been playing with the Hemi. Got a 392 rear end take the traction control off and and you could go through the rear tires rather quickly.

Heard to many recent horror stories on GM to even look at their web sight let alone buy one of heir trucks.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Friends don’t let’s friends buy Chevy trucks!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I usually buy used and let someone else eat the depreciation. I bought a new 2021 Tundra in January just before things were starting to get crazy, the used trucks were literally the same price as the new with no warranty. It has gotten way crazier since then and I could sell my year old truck right now for more than I bought it for. I would if I didn’t have to replace it, truck lots are empty here.
I went Toyota for the reliability after owning 2 Silverado Duramax trucks the last 15 years. Both were pre emission trucks and were great, just couldn’t justify a diesel anymore. Have friends who own all the different brands and the Toyotas have all been bulletproof in a 1/2 ton. Totally happy with the Tundra and would do it again in a heartbeat. YMMV

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,556
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.