Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Stepping up from 32mm to 40mm OBJ gets you 56% more lens area / light gathering ability, and if that little bit of weight hinders a person's hiking, they need to get into better shape.

You're a bit confused. An 8x42 has an exit pupil of 5.25mm... that's a 24% larger exit pupil than the 8x32's 4mm. Your "56%" surface area is a factually irrelevant red herring - the size of the exit pupil (ocular divided by power) and quality of the glass are what give optimal light transmission, not the size of the ocular per se. And quality glass goes right to the most important aspect of binoculars - the ability to resolve detail.

A 10x40 binocular has an exit pupil of 4mm - an 8x32 binocular has an exit pupil of 4mm. That's not "56% more light gathering ability," that's 0% if they're of equal glass (and BTW, binoculars don't "gather" light, they transmit light). The 10x40/42 are what most hunters are convinced they need to carry. Truth is, my little 8x32 Ultravids will be brighter than average built 10x42's just due to glass quality.

If I can't see it with the 8x32 Leica's I tote, it's not legal light. My only wish is my 8x32's were 7x32's.

I've hunted Alaska to Maine to here in Montana going back decades. All with 7x30/8x30/32 glass. I've never found the need for 40mm glass, though I do love Leica's 7x42BN and their 8x42 Noctivid (but not for backpack hunting - more for general wildlife viewing/birding). Even then, push to shove, I genuinely dislike the bulk and weight of 42mm bins.

As to "shape", I doubt very much you could keep up with me in the mountains, and based on your comments, I doubt you've ever done an actual wilderness backpack elk hunt (living for days in the backcountry out of only what you carry in your pack on your back).

But at least you're from Texas...

Brad, you never posted that picture of your wife I requested from you to see which one of you had the larger Adams Apple.

Please provide that information, so I can reply to your obfuscating comment here.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Brad, you never posted that picture of your wife I requested from you to see which one of you had the larger Adams Apple.

Please provide that information, so I can reply to your obfuscating comment here.

You’re as lame as you are uninformed.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
… you never posted that picture …

Probably best for you to avoid the whole picture thing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You can take anything poor ol' ElkSlayer posts and divide by 10 to get closer to the truth. 3500+ posts to date and he hasn't offered anything of value yet.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
For most of my hunting I use Steiner 8x42's. For sitting and glassing I use Zeiss 12x45 and a Leupold 15x45 spotting scope.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys for suggestions.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Esox357
What brand and magnification for elk hunting. Thinking 8 x42 or 10x42 for glassing on a mountain out into the parks? Like to stay in 1000.00 or under?

As elk are creatures of low light conditions - I would want a higher exit pupil number to gather more light. That is more important than just magnification. Certainly $1000 or less will get you want you want. Go to a well stocked (if even possible anymore) shop and try out different brands to sort out egos and clarity.
Low light conditions will be difficult to duplicate but at least you can try out a variety and make your decision. Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 8x30 CL's in the timber and heavier cover areas and 10x42 SLC's in the open country where you are looking 2-3 miles at times. I can't hold anything over 10X steady without a support and I'm sure not carrying anything I don't absolutely need up and down the mountains where the elk live.

Last edited by centershot; 10/07/21.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
… you never posted that picture …

Probably best for you to avoid the whole picture thing.

This is hilarious from a guy who has never posted a single picture on the website.

Thanks for the information on Binoculars. Some of you guys really know your stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

You’re as lame as you are uninformed.

Casey, anyone who has to reassure themselves with their signature line is skating on thin ice emotionally. I can't claim exceptional intelligence, but I generally have a solid grasp of the obvious laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have played with the smaller binos a bit and their quality/light gathering for sure has improved over the years but they're almost too light and I never could get comfortable with them. If I come across some 8X32 or similar from an Alpha brand at a decent price I may have to give them a try. For now though I still prefer 10X42mm for general purpose stuff due to ergos and honestly....I like a little extra weight on my chest as it helps (or maybe not....I dunno) balance out the weight in my pack.

I packed only my 15x56 Meoptas and a 9+ pound rifle on a sheep hunt this year. By the end I was wishing for less weight no doubt but I am glad I stuck with the 15X56s....though I could have made my shot with a sub-5 pound open sighted .30-30. Oh well. Such is life and I will only have those same 15X binos on me next week for mule deer and elk in Idaho and I am sure my buddy will only have his 15X SLCs along. Neither of us use tripods with them either and I seem to be leaving my upper end Zeiss and Steiner 10X40/42s at home more and more for deer and elk.

There's lots to consider and everyone is different. I guess we also can get stuck in our ways.

You need some 12x42 Pures for that my man!

I stopped at Sportsman's Whorehouse in Missoula a couple hours ago to get a few things for the mule deer opener tomorrow in Idaho.

They had 12x42 Pures there for $3,099. No sales tax, no shipping and I get a 5% veteran discount.

Evil thoughts crossed my mind. We'll see how drunk I get when I get back to my Mom's house in the Bitterroot after deer and elk hunting in Idaho. I have done dumber things.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have played with the smaller binos a bit and their quality/light gathering for sure has improved over the years but they're almost too light and I never could get comfortable with them. If I come across some 8X32 or similar from an Alpha brand at a decent price I may have to give them a try. For now though I still prefer 10X42mm for general purpose stuff due to ergos and honestly....I like a little extra weight on my chest as it helps (or maybe not....I dunno) balance out the weight in my pack.

I packed only my 15x56 Meoptas and a 9+ pound rifle on a sheep hunt this year. By the end I was wishing for less weight no doubt but I am glad I stuck with the 15X56s....though I could have made my shot with a sub-5 pound open sighted .30-30. Oh well. Such is life and I will only have those same 15X binos on me next week for mule deer and elk in Idaho and I am sure my buddy will only have his 15X SLCs along. Neither of us use tripods with them either and I seem to be leaving my upper end Zeiss and Steiner 10X40/42s at home more and more for deer and elk.

There's lots to consider and everyone is different. I guess we also can get stuck in our ways.

I stopped at Sportsman's Whorehouse in Missoula a couple hours ago to get a few things for the mule deer opener tomorrow in Idaho.

They had 12x42 Pures there for $3,099. No sales tax, no shipping and I get a 5% veteran discount.

Evil thoughts crossed my mind. We'll see how drunk I get when I get back to my Mom's house in the Bitterroot after deer and elk hunting in Idaho. I have done dumber things.....

That glass would have to be magical to surpass my EL's and especially at that price point... but I would be tempted too if I could find a way my wife would never find out.... smile

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sheister

That glass would have to be magical to surpass my EL's and especially at that price point... but I would be tempted too if I could find a way my wife would never find out.... smile

Then I recommend not spending any time with them....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Was it a religious experience? Mine kinda was...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My favorite is the Leica Noctivid 10x42. It’s brighter than it should be, and has a great view and color rendition (at least to my eyes). I have a Swarovski EL 8x32 specifically for the timber, and it’s fine glass as well. But overall, the 10x42 Noctivid gets top grade foe my elk hunting.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve not used the super high end binoculars, so I defer on them. I can say that a bunch of mid priced ones have passed through my hands. I still almost always take my older Swarovski SLC 8x30’s. For me, they give the best combination of portability and “lookability”. If someday one of the kids fails to return them (quite possible), I’ll scrounge up another somewhere and keep on going.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love my Swarovski’s 10x42. I purchased them used here on the fire a few years ago. A buddy of mine just purchased a new pair of Vortex razor 12x binos from cabelas. He was expecting to spend about $1k but with the promo and his points he ended up only spending about $500. They looked very clear viewing them in the store. That may be a reasonable option for you.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
For (anyone), considering using binoculars for finding game while hunting, especially when longer distances might be involved, there are 2 excellent articles right here in the Campfire archives that should read before any decisions about purchase is made.
In order to find the articles do the following.
Click onto the Campfire logo on top of the page and that will bring up the home page.
Look for the (archives) section heading and click onto that.
Then scroll thru the articles to the second page, and find 2 articles on glasses and using them for glassing.
The one entitled (Big Eyes) is especially good for the glassing part.

In Pa, all long range hunting is done by using tripod mounted binoculars.
The vast majority of hunters, myself included, primarily use 2 spotting scopes in machined adjustable brackets for that purpose. Scopes like Kowa and Swarovski have become very common for that purpose.
After reading the big eyes article now more than 10 years ago, i decided to order a pair of the 15x58 Minox Doug was selling at a close out price due to a model change.
They are for lack of a better description awsome.
We even conducted our own comparison test using the Minox 15x58s, 15x56 Swaros, and 15x56 Leica Geovids from the yard of our N/C Pa camp at various distances side by side.
Only the Swaro owner felt that his were just a slight bit better than the others, but even he said that for the major price difference, he wouldnt make the same decision about buying them again.
You absolutely need to compare to compare them side by side on the same day to find out.
And of coarse for average Joe thats not easy to do.
But articles like these can be a big help.
By all means compare if you can, rather than take the (buy one like mine) advise.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the Meopta 10x42’s, haven’t looked through the Tract Torics yet, I was in the same boat 8 years ago after not being able to determine if a bull was legal bedded in the brush for 40 minutes. My better than average Zeiss Terra 10x42 could not resolve it. Finally from a different angle the Leica rangefinder determined -Yes legal 5x5. Small Leupold 15-30 spotter wasn’t the right solution. I got lucky & got a great deal on 10x42 Swarovski SLC’s and have since spotted & killed elk I would never have seen.

Local archery & football Binoculars for me are little 8x32 Sightron’s for $200 do the job nicely and are generally useful. But they are not the right tool for an elk hunt where a little more objective & the best glass you can get pays dividends.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep watching the classifieds for Swarovski SLC 10x42's.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.