Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JGray
I've been wanting to make Osso Bucco with venison after watching Rinella do it on Meateater but haven't yet. Wife and I went to lunch today and it was on the menu so gave it a try - very good. This was made with pork - is that common or is lamb more typically used?

I've heard it done with pork called Porko Bucco. I remember reading a recipe by that title some years ago.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been wanting to make Osso Bucco with venison after watching Rinella do it on Meateater but haven't yet. Wife and I went to lunch today and it was on the menu so gave it a try - very good. This was made with pork - is that common or is lamb more typically used?

Since I don't eat pork it may be that I've just never noticed pork Osso Bucco. I was in a small town in Italy once (Orvieto) and had lamb Osso Bucco that was probably in the top 1% of all good food I've ever had. I asked beforehand if there was any pork in it and the waiter said real Osso Bucco will never have pork, and this wasn't even real Osso Bucco since it was lamb. I guess that may have been his way of not admitting there was pork in it...

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Remsen

Since I don't eat pork it may be that I've just never noticed pork Osso Bucco. I was in a small town in Italy once (Orvieto) and had lamb Osso Bucco that was probably in the top 1% of all good food I've ever had. I asked beforehand if there was any pork in it and the waiter said real Osso Bucco will never have pork, and this wasn't even real Osso Bucco since it was lamb. I guess that may have been his way of not admitting there was pork in it...

Osso Bucco is traditionally made from veal shank. Braised lamb shank isn't usually referred to as osso bucco. Neither is braised pork shank. As a play on words, some refer to a braised pork dish (made in the style of osso bucco) as porko bucco. It's kind of a joke. I've seen recipes with that title, though.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Now I'm going to have to make a run to the store to see if they have any lamb or veal shanks. I got the craving, thanks TRH.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Remsen, this is a lamb shank recipe I've made many times. It's great.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, that looks like what I'm craving. I just picked up a bunch of shanks and they were definitely not cheap ($10 a lb), but for a Sunday family meal it should be dang good.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Made it for dinner tonight, according to the recipe in Rao's Cookbook. It's a Northern Italian favorite that I was introduced to in fancy Long Island Italian restaurants in the late 1970s and 1980s, and I've always loved it. I started making it myself some thirty years ago.

It's a braised veal shank dish, i.e., cooked in a dutch oven covered in white wine, chicken broth, tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery and garlic. It's the low and slow way of cooking meats that would otherwise be tough, but cooked that way are silky, moist, tender, and delicious.

This one turned out so tender that it literally fell off the bone, since all the connective tissues dissolved into the cooking liquids. For an accompaniment, I chose orzo. The sauce is made from the liquids it's cooked in.

[Linked Image]

My Son and I did almost the Exact same recipe a few yrs ago!

Outstanding!!!

Thanks for Sharing!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks, that looks like what I'm craving. I just picked up a bunch of shanks and they were definitely not cheap ($10 a lb), but for a Sunday family meal it should be dang good.

Veal?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Veal?

Lamb.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Veal?

Lamb.

It's funny, but it wasn't long ago when lamb shanks were nearly a throw away part of a leg of lamb. Very cheap.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have a bunch of lamb shanks in the freezer.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Veal?

Lamb.

It's funny, but it wasn't long ago when lamb shanks were nearly a throw away part of a leg of lamb. Very cheap.

No kidding. My parents didn't have a ton of money when we were kids and they always got the cheap cuts, whether it was tongue, liver, gizzards, bones or shanks. I took a look at tongue prices when I was looking for the lamb shanks and they wanted $40+ for a relatively small tongue (beef). $10 for a small bag of soup bones. The weird thing is that the one thing that we used to love as kids for special occasions, beef ribs, is now actually relatively cheap.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Veal?

Lamb.

No kidding. My parents didn't have a ton of money when we were kids and they always got the cheap cuts, whether it was tongue, liver, gizzards, bones or shanks. I took a look at tongue prices when I was looking for the lamb shanks and they wanted $40+ for a relatively small tongue (beef). $10 for a small bag of soup bones. The weird thing is that the one thing that we used to love as kids for special occasions, beef ribs, is now actually relatively cheap.

I like braising beef ribs in marinara for about an hour and a half.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My first attempt a few years ago.

The meat with some seasoning. Garlic and rosemary from the garden.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The aromatics and vegetables

Added red wine, salt, pepper, bay leaves etc.

And the finished product. Not bad for a bachelor....

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Looks great!
Good preparation is Everything!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Owl knows how to cook. That looks great.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TRH, you made our dinner...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url][/img]

Last edited by Remsen; 10/31/21.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Looks great.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
NICE !!!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Rocked it to !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.