Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I got this one around 10 yrs ago from Collectors Firearms in Houston. It's a first year 20 with solid rib. The barrel was rust blued, the receiver hot blued. You can look closely and tell the difference. The metal was as is, the wood was a mess. Paid $275.

I reworked the wood, recut the checkering. Interestingly discovered that the forearm was 18 lpi, the stock 20 lpi. The only explanation I could find was the concept of a cottage industry like in Spain, where piece work was farmed out. So, I guess different workers checkered the forearm and stock.

It has a Deluxe Polychoke, which at first was a turn off. Even thought about cutting it and installing choke tubes. But the gun is light and I was concerned that it may be too "whippy" without the Polychoke. Besides Polychokes were vintage and the gun is vintage. It has grown on me.

I changed the pitch of the butt plate, not liking the original as much as my Browning Superlight. So the Ithaca now mimics the Superlight. I was criticized on another forum for altering a first year 20 ga. stock. I replied if the gun was valuable, it wouldn't have sold for $275 from a major dealer. I sorta see his point, as these original stocks are hard to find. But, the gun suits me and altering it didn't bother me nearly as much as it bothered him.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ANOGWim.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/l1qqzfd.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rCWt44T.jpg?1[/img]

That is about perfect.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I got this one around 10 yrs ago from Collectors Firearms in Houston. It's a first year 20 with solid rib. The barrel was rust blued, the receiver hot blued. You can look closely and tell the difference. The metal was as is, the wood was a mess. Paid $275.

I reworked the wood, recut the checkering. Interestingly discovered that the forearm was 18 lpi, the stock 20 lpi. The only explanation I could find was the concept of a cottage industry like in Spain, where piece work was farmed out. So, I guess different workers checkered the forearm and stock.

It has a Deluxe Polychoke, which at first was a turn off. Even thought about cutting it and installing choke tubes. But the gun is light and I was concerned that it may be too "whippy" without the Polychoke. Besides Polychokes were vintage and the gun is vintage. It has grown on me.

I changed the pitch of the butt plate, not liking the original as much as my Browning Superlight. So the Ithaca now mimics the Superlight. I was criticized on another forum for altering a first year 20 ga. stock. I replied if the gun was valuable, it wouldn't have sold for $275 from a major dealer. I sorta see his point, as these original stocks are hard to find. But, the gun suits me and altering it didn't bother me nearly as much as it bothered him.

DF

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ANOGWim.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/l1qqzfd.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rCWt44T.jpg?1[/img]

That is about perfect.

Thanks.

I sorta lucked up on that one. It is a great gun, handles as good as it looks.

1939 was first year the 20 ga. was produced. They sorta get slick after 82 years or so.

Note the smaller Pre-war trigger guard.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Current mfg. Ohio 28 ga. vs. 1939 37R, 20 ga.

The older gun seems to have more drop, but they handle about the same. I don't really like the looks of the Ohio pistol grip, but they handle well. The larger, tighter pistol grip isn't as sleek, IMO.

New gun isn't as smooth as the older one, but works well. Maybe after 80 yrs or so, it'll be as slick. Doubt I'll be around to confirm

DF.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
New gun actually has nicer wood. When I got it, it had too much dark coloring in the checkering, didn't match the forearm. So, I re-cut the stock checkering, forearm untouched. To me, they match better.

I also replaced the OEM pad with a thinner one. Seems to handle better for me.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/28/21.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Always liked the 37's, never owned one but liked them none the less. Always thought the bottom eject was cool

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pullit
Always liked the 37's, never owned one but liked them none the less. Always thought the bottom eject was cool

Good deal for South Paws. Just reverse the safety and you're good to go.

My Ohio gun throws empties way forward, the old gun, straight down.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I shot left handed back when I was in my teens. I am left handed and that is why I really liked them so much. I had an 870 and my best friend was also left handed and he had the 37. I would come in after shooting with streaks of black on my face from hulls hitting my check after shooting my 870. He was a much better shot than I was until one day he said "which is your dominate eye"? After checking we found out that I was right eyed so after changing the world around and starting to shoot right handed the 870 was not so bad. I was not such a bad shot after I practiced a little right handed either.
After all that, I still loved to shoot his 37.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 80 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.