Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Saw a blurb someplace that the shooting is on video.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
Saw a blurb someplace that the shooting is on video.

I saw some still pictures of the rehearsal of the shot, but no film footage....it showed the locations of the individuals, and where they were standing just prior to the discharge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rockinbar's description of how firearms are handled on set by the armorer is what I've known and seen a number of times when I was on the set, watching how a scene I'd written was set up by the director and cameraman, etc. There is never a live round anywhere on set. The taking of firearms by crew members to "plink" when they are not being used on set is 100% verboten!! Immediate firing of the person(s) doing that would happen.

As has been stated before in the main, very few writers, actors, directors, and producers know anything about firearms. Therefore it is incumbent the armorer makes certain all safety procedures are followed. Some producers are aware and try to "educate" the actors who are going to be using a firearm during a scene being filmed.

Here is one example of how one teevee show tried to create "authenticity." This example was ALWAYS the first page in every Gunsmoke shooting script. Occasionally an actor or director would take up the offer, but not always, and it showed in the filming. This is from the Exec Producer, John Mantley.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As Rockinbar said, the instant a scene was finished, the armorer would take every gun on set from the actors and place then securely in his cart. If blanks were needed for the next scene, he would load them. No one else touched the guns or blanks.

That whole Rust production was a cluster fug just waiting to happen. And it happened.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like OSHA needs to require some training like any other workplace. 😂

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I saw an interview with a movie props guy and he said the dummy rounds have a BB inside so when shaken you can hear that there is no powder. I wouldn't expect the actors to know the difference the the people responsible for the guns should.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well that press conference was a waste of 15 minutes, time will tell what the 90 crew members have too say in regards to set/safety protocol and plinking live rounds at lunch time.

EDIT: They did say that this was the armorer's 2nd movie in such position, and 24 years old.

Last edited by Bwana_1; 10/27/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have limited experience with the film industry being involved with the wranglers and special effects people. Realistically, I don't think actors are expected to be thoroughly familiar with firearms, horses, explosives or other props used on movie sets. It is realistic to expect them to have basic training in safety procedures involving those props. It would be simple enough for the actor to be the final link in assuring a single action pistol, double action pistol or break open shotgun was hot or cold. Some other types of firearms would be more difficult to declare but with minimal training it could happen. Live ammunition should not be anywhere near the set, so should not even be an issue.
There was an incident in Tombstone a few years ago where two of the actors were involved with the same woman. During one of the skits one actor shot the other one in the face with a blank cartridge at close range. I think the guy ended up losing his eye over it. A live cartridge would have had a different outcome.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It points the firearm and pulls the trigger, it bears responsibility for the outcome.

All else is twaddle.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Sheriff stated there were 3 guns on set used in filming:
1) A real operational pistol.
2) A real pistol that had been made nonoperational (either by removing parts, or a special cylinder that only holds blanks).
3) A Prop gun, made from plastic.

Some of you expect and idiot like Baldwin to know the difference between the guns, know the difference between the ammo, and be responsible for using said gun choice in a film shot ?....you're giving all actors far too much credit for the films you've watched in the past.

They have an expert on set to provide those services, expertise, safety, experience, and legal skills according to rules and regs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

They have an expert on set to provide those services, expertise, safety, experience, and legal skills according to rules and regs.

An expert you say?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pahick

Irrelevant.

Baldwin has worked on many other sets with many other firearms, props or real. He has had the safety protocols drilled into his head for decades now. He chose to disregard them.

End of story.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
It points the firearm and pulls the trigger, it bears responsibility for the outcome.

All else is twaddle.

Except when filming a movie.

The armorer is the main person responsible.

Say you are shooting a big battle scene... You have 120 armed defenders of the Alamo... And 500 Mexican Army soldiers charging. They are firing at each other. After the smoke clears, who is responsible?

What we as shooters and hunters know as safety rules in reality doesn't carry forth in making movies. You have to have one person responsible. The Armorer. And it's the producer's responsibility to hire one up to the job.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pahick

Irrelevant.

Baldwin has worked on many other sets with many other firearms, props or real. He has had the safety protocols drilled into his head for decades now. He chose to disregard them.

End of story.

LOL.

You think much at all sinks into the heads of actors?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it was the cameramen who walked off the set earlier. Any chance one of them might have "slipped" a live round into a gun. Not to hurt someone but to shake up things? I find it strange/suspicious that both things happened so close to each other.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

All else is twaddle.

Except when filming a movie.

The armorer is the main person responsible.

Say you are shooting a big battle scene... You have 120 armed defenders of the Alamo... And 500 Mexican Army soldiers charging. They are firing at each other. After the smoke clears, who is responsible?

What we as shooters and hunters know as safety rules in reality doesn't carry forth in making movies. You have to have one person responsible. The Armorer. And it's the producer's responsibility to hire one up to the job.

Again, exactly. He wasn't on a live firing range, he wasn't hunting, he wasn't skeet shooting...his was on a film set with "fake" guns, that are not intended to shoot "live" ammo at ANY time.

He's a moron, he's an idiot, fine fine fine...but he wasn't responsible for the weapons and ammo on set. Yes he pulled the trigger, maybe he was told to do so...who the fugg knows.

If you get your truck inspected yesterday and the mechanic pulls your wheels to check the brakes, then 2 hours later driving down the road your tire falls off and you kill an innocent soccer Mom and 3 kids...is it your fault since you were driving, or the professional mechanic that didn't tighten your lug nuts ?....why didn't you check all of your lug nuts personally before leaving the mechanics shop ?....you must be an idiot, and definitely guilty of multiple murders.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by travelingman1
I think it was the cameramen who walked off the set earlier. Any chance one of them might have "slipped" a live round into a gun. Not to hurt someone but to shake up things? I find it strange/suspicious that both things happened so close to each other.

I personally don't think anyone sabotaged the gun, that's an evil act in it self. All of the "live" ammo on set, is the culprit to the problem. When we find out who brought the live ammo, who allowed the live ammo, and who was using the live ammo for plinking...then we have some guilty parties to prosecute, and if Baldwin participated in those "fun" activities then he will/should hang along with the others(armorer/Assistant Director.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JoeBob
This is more and more on the armorer. I don’t see that big a problem with shooting the guns off set like it is alleged they did IF you had an armorer who was on his/her game and made sure that every live round was fired and/or kept completely separate from dummy rounds. I mean it’s a single action revolver. Accounting for hulls isn’t difficult. If you go out with fifty shells in a box, you return with fifty empties in the same box or 49 hulls and one live one in the same box. Not hard to do.

Being only 24, it doesn’t sound like she took that job with the seriousness it deserved and demanded. There were other people at fault as well, but the first frick up started with hiring her.

Yes hiring this stupid bitch and putting her in charge of any kind of safety was stupid.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well that press conference was a waste of 15 minutes, time will tell what the 90 crew members have too say in regards to set/safety protocol and plinking live rounds at lunch time.

EDIT: They did say that this was the armorer's 2nd movie in such position, and 24 years old.

And here she is, would you trust your life or anyone elses on this stupid bitch?

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rickt300

And here she is, would you trust your life or anyone elses on this stupid bitch?

That's where Baldwin fugged up.

He hired an incompetent to do a job with solemn responsibility and integrity. She had neither.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Sheriff stated there were 3 guns on set used in filming:
1) A real operational pistol.
2) A real pistol that had been made nonoperational (either by removing parts, or a special cylinder that only holds blanks).
3) A Prop gun, made from plastic.

Some of you expect and idiot like Baldwin to know the difference between the guns, know the difference between the ammo, and be responsible for using said gun choice in a film shot ?....you're giving all actors far too much credit for the films you've watched in the past.

Please post a reference as to the rules and regulations for the film industry...
That's why I asked about the SAG suggestions that cover the use of firearms. Part of them state that the actors should be instructed on the function and safety features of the firearm/s they will be using during filming.

Fúck the film industry rules and regulations. This situation should be judged by the court of law not the court of movie industry.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 20 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.